Pilot

Betty1

32 minutes ago, High6 said:

How is this not personally insulting - it was always going to start a row and was clearly the intention. There is only one place for deliberate trolling, and it's not here. This thread should be stopped now as contrary to TOS before it gets worse.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I totally agree

I personally think the clip of Griff taking B/Ambition through backwards was great fun, I did cover my eyes at one stage though Lol (sorry Griff)

Keep it friendly people, ignore the trolls, they'll soon get bored

I suggest that if you feel that way Kev then don't watch it :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, grendel said:

I was under the impression that if a private boat asked the pilots when they were not busy, that the pilot would ride through with the owner at the helm, while giving advice.

I am kinda hoping that is the case.

The first time I go through I was going to ask them to do just that, fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Why did they do that?

They had no engine, so they would "round up" usually near the old Port of Yarmouth Marina, lower mast and sail and then stream a heavy chain over the bows to keep them head up into the current. The effect of the current going past the rudder would allow them to keep in the centre of the channel. Haul in a bit of chain to go faster, and let out more to go slower, or stop if necessary.

Sheer across to moor up at the Coal Wharf, up mast and sails, and away across Breydon on the flood tide!

• Like 5

They had no engine, so they would "round up" usually near the old Port of Yarmouth Marina, lower mast and sail and then stream a heavy chain over the bows to keep them head up into the current. The effect of the current going past the rudder would allow them to keep in the centre of the channel. Haul in a bit of chain to go faster, and let out more to go slower, or stop if necessary.
Sheer across to moor up at the Coal Wharf, up mast and sails, and away across Breydon on the flood tide!

Wow, we don’t really know we’re born do we??!!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sure iv an idea

So you have only an idea now?  So why previously  make statements claiming you know the reason then?  Stating I did it for 'Showing Off' - I find that insulting.

Couldn't you just ask?   Give me a chance to view the thread?  But of course not, why would you?  Obviously not in your nature

It's like I have gained an unwanted mouth-peice making (Widely incorrect)  comments on my behalf in my absence like I'm not here anymore.  I have been a member in here since 2007 and having just checked I find that I still am. 

Baitrunner - I ain't heated yet - But if this kind of behaviour carries on, no doubt I will get somewhat irked, wouldn't you?

Griff

Griff read Grendel's post and mine and tell me where I used the words showing off , I know I haven't n its up to you to teed it properly not up to me to defend myself for something I didn't say in the first place ! 

20 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Griff read Grendel's post and mine and tell me where I used the words showing off , I know I haven't n its up to you to teed it properly not up to me to defend myself for something I didn't say in the first place ! 

I thought this post had passed this stage! When someone shares something which contains their motivation for carrying out whatever they did (clumsy but I hope you know what I mean) there MAY be some justification for discussing that motivation. However, discussing a person's motivation for doing/not doing something in my opinion can become judgemental. I don't think judging one another is either a positive attitude nor helpful to the forum. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, grendel said:

I was under the impression that if a private boat asked the pilots when they were not busy, that the pilot would ride through with the owner at the helm, while giving advice.

That is certainly the case at Potter, although there would be a charge, however the pilots at Wroxham bridge will not take a private boat through the bridge or even guide you on board. This is because the pilot service at Wroxham bridge is operated by Faircraft Loynes who will have absolutely nothing to do with private boats under any circumstances. I have moored at pretty much every other hire yard over a number of years. Some will charge, and some don't. Faircraft are the only yard that do not allow private boats to moor under any circumstances, so it does not surprise me that this also applies to the pilots and private boats.

However anyone thinking of taking their boat through Wroxham bridge and worried about clearance I can tell you that behind the more obvious bridge height gauge on the downstream side, there is another gauge facing the hut that the Faircraft day boats operate from. This is the most accurate gauge and the one the pilots rely on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Faircraft are the only yard that do not allow private boats to moor under any circumstances,

Not strictly true. I shall ever be grateful to them when I was having a personal disaster and they let me moor there for "as long as it took". It was a sad time for me but they were very helpful . 

• Like 1

Edit - Sorry MM I was typing when your post appeared

That's a good tip, does anyone know what the difference is between the gauges? Could be handy to know in advance!

My boat is a Hampton Safari so technically both Wroxham and PH should be passable at times, the air draught is published at 6" 6".. As a first time boat owner and not knowing how much difference my fuel and water level would make I think I'd want to see 6'9" or 6' 10" before my first attempts

What other tips are good to know? If I'm happy with the height do I head through with a bit of speed or dead slow.

Also the other week at Ludham there seemed to be much confusion over who takes precedence going through. I was going down stream toward St Bennetts and was nicely lined up when a large hire craft came round the last bend going upstream toward the bridge. She was committed and so was I but I reasoned I had more chance and room to give way but only just and did so. I don't think they made any attempt to give way but I can't say I blame them.

Any tips for us bridge  newbies guys? 

I think at Ludham it’s just a case of courtesy, if you can give way then do. There will always be one who thinks he (or she!) has the right of way and will just plough on. In fact not just at Ludham, at all bridges and everywhere else common courtesy wouldn’t go amiss.

• Like 2

I was told many years ago that the vessel moving with the tide/current had right of way as they are less able to stop and once stopped are less able to hold position. However I wouldn't think the average Richo's hirer on their first day would even know that water moves,let alone which way it's moving.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray said:

My boat is a Hampton Safari so technically both Wroxham and PH should be passable at times, the air draught is published at 6" 6".. As a first time boat owner and not knowing how much difference my fuel and water level would make I think I'd want to see 6'9" or 6' 10" before my first attempts

I don't know much, but will suggest things to consider.

All of the hire boats I've been on have a stated airdraft on the safe side, I've had a 7' boat taken through with 6'11" shown on the gauge. I don't know where your 6'6" came from but it's not difficult to accurately measure the airdraft of your own boat, you can do it with full and empty tanks, then you'll know the real figure, worth taking the time to do it.

Wroxham Bridge, being arched, means that any height showing on the gauge can only be correct at 1 point, at a certain width if you like. As your boat has a smaller beam than most broads cruisers you could probably get away with a bit less clearance than you think. There is out there, a detailed measurement of the bridge explaining at what width the height gauge relates to, I don't know if I'm allowed to point out where to find it.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

I didn't think about measuring my own air draught! The best ideas are straight forward ones, I'll do that this weekend.

I'm a dab hand at finding stuff on the internet, I'll find it.. many thanks for the heads up :)

If you go to the bridge pilots at either Potter or Wroxham, they will tell you what clearance your boat needs.

If you can find out the facebook user name of a member who used to post here as Strowager (if anyone knows please do this by PMs as it was obvious that he didn't want his name in the public domain) he was the person who took a lot of time and effort giving a pictorial representation of the bridge height and clearance measurements. These were posted on the other forum.

For anyone who wants to know the clearance at Potter bridge there is a gauge on the flood information website site that gives real time water level information just downstream of the bungalows at Potter.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6217?direction=u

Using a formula put together by, I think it was Strowager, you can work out the clearance under the bridge.

2.33 - reading * 39.37 = inches.

Todays reading is currently 0.33m which using the above formula works out to be 6ft 6.74ins clearance.

My boat needs 6ft 9in to clear the bridge, so by doing the reverse calculations I know I need to see 0.27m or lower on the water level site to stand a chance of going through the bridge.

• Like 3