Bread Is Not Harmful To Water Fowl!

Ray

They are talking rot. Bread is terrible for Duck. Their meat is far too dark for bread sauce. Bread sauce with chicken or Turkey never duck.

I am with Ray a Grand Marnier sauce, or better still if you can get it Van de Hum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We feed the all birds duck and swan pellets which they take happily from our hands. I paid £18 for a 15kg bag from my local pet supplies so it is available cheaply. We used to buy at similar prices from the guy on Yarmouth market which he will get and possibly deliver if asked.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Thanks 1

The wild fowl on the Fossdyke don't eat the healthy fruit veg and seeds you are supposed to feed them. They look at them in disgust. 

Drop an onion bhaji, spring roll or chip and they will have your fingers off for it. Proper junk food addicts!

'Angel wing' has long been associated with too high concentrations of protein and/or too low levels of Vit D, Vit E, calcium and manganese in growing waterfowl's diets. Exactly the conditions found in too much bread in the diet of young  growing birds.  I guess we've all seen it, and it's incurable.

image.png.cd23c34895bfa9d3496e43415762c872.png

"Angel Wing or Slipped Wing is a disease that primarily affects waterfowl. This condition is more commonly observed in swans and geese, and is to a lesser extent reported in ducks."

More here.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/angelwing.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

'Angel wing' has long been associated with too high concentrations of protein and/or too low levels of Vit D, Vit E, calcium and manganese in growing waterfowl's diets. Exactly the conditions found in too much bread in the diet of young  growing birds.  I guess we've all seen it, and it's incurable.

image.png.cd23c34895bfa9d3496e43415762c872.png

"Angel Wing or Slipped Wing is a disease that primarily affects waterfowl. This condition is more commonly observed in swans and geese, and is to a lesser extent reported in ducks."

More here.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/angelwing.html

There is a greylag goose at our marina with that condition. She must be quite old as she was there ten years ago when we first moored the boat there and is still around now.

Not sure what the average lifespan of a goose is?

The full article doesn't blame bread and does mention other possible causes so I guess the jury is still out to some extent. It's an interesting read thanks for posting it Poppy.

My take I think would be that some bread is OK as long as it's not a bird's only source of nutrition.