Model Railway Shows 2019

TheQ

A new model railway show has been announced, 

17th August 2020, at the Atrium , Spencer Avenue, North Walsham, NR28 9HZ in support of the M &GN Society.

Further details to follow when I get them. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2019 at 07:57, TheQ said:

A new model railway show has been announced, 

17th August 2020, at the Atrium , Spencer Avenue, North Walsham, NR28 9HZ in support of the M &GN Society.

Further details to follow when I get them. 

That should read 2019 not 2020.

The further details are. 

open 10:00 to 16:00

Full adult entry £5 juniors £2 , concessions  £4. Family £12

Free parking, 

Layouts in 0, 00, and N .trade stands and demonstrations

Featuring 60th anniversary of the closure of the M&GN railway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A different Kind of Model railway show...

The Great Model railway Challenge  2019..

Each week 3 teams build a model railway in competition with each other.. I'm guessing our local team is the one called  The Muddle and Go Nowhere...

For this years series. 8 shows instead of 6, each 1 hour 15 minutes instead of an hour.. So it must have been successful last year.

First show Should be, Friday 30th August 8pm Channel 5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The big Day approaches our own Broadland Model Railway  Club show..

2019 Exhibition

Aylsham Model Railway Exhibition 2019

The 2019 Model Railway Exhibition, sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway, will be held again in The Jubilee Centre,

Aylsham, NR11 6JG

Saturday 5th October 

between 

10.00 and 16.00 (10am and 4pm).

Main parking at the Bure Valley Railway, disable parking  at the Jubilee centre.

The following layouts and traders are confirmed for 2019:

All Cars Stop Here OO Hong Kong influenced tram stop

Arlingham 4mm EM 50s/60s ex-GE branch

Barrow Fells 2mm N West Coast mainline modern

Bedford Road 7mm O Diesel Depot

Blacklade 4mm OO 85-90 or 2000-2007 North Midlands

Broad Oak 4mm OO Eastern Region ex Great Central

BVR in minature 7mm O 9Aylsham Station 2010-15

Cobbold’s Wharf 7mm S7 East Anglia based on Ipswich docks

Coltishall 4mm OO 60s/70s Coltishall, Norfolk

Gillsbrook 4mm OO ex-GE 50s/60s Essex/Hertfordshire

Hartenberg N Bavarian Era2 Tramway

Iceni Cement 4mm OO East Anglia 60s/70s

Jusabit MPD 7mm O Early BR motive power depot

Operation Abyss 4mm OO Wartime dockside

Ringsford 4mm OO East Anglia 50s/60s

Thomas and Friends Child friendly hands on

Traders:

Bob Pearman Books

Bure Valley Railway

Coast2Coaster

Dave Rowlands

Joe Lock

JustinCase

Train Tech

Demonstrations

Advent Modellers

Loco Doctor

Nigel Fisher

DCC

Societies

B17 Steam Loco Trust

Class 47 Preservation Project

Friends of the BVR

North Norfolk Model Engineers

We look forward to seeing you all there in October!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the Great Model railway challenge has had it's second show, Better in terms of more railway work. But still too much emphasis on "effects" which is is a worry, in that too many vistors to our show above may expect to see them..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Well the Great Model railway challenge has had it's second show, Better in terms of more railway work. But still too much emphasis on "effects" which is is a worry, in that too many vistors to our show above may expect to see them..

I agree. Far too little emphasis on actually building something where the trains run reliably and much too much emphasis on simply playing around with a train set. Like so many TV shows these days there has to be this ridiculous race against time for no particular reason. Who really imagines that you can build anything resembling a serious (or entertaining) model railway in two days? Two years would be the absolute minimum and 5 years, more likely!

In my opinion this is the "Blue Peter" mentality which has little or nothing to do with railway modelling as a hobby.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I agree. Far too little emphasis on actually building something where the trains run reliably and much too much emphasis on simply playing around with a train set. Like so many TV shows these days there has to be this ridiculous race against time for no particular reason. Who really imagines that you can build anything resembling a serious (or entertaining) model railway in two days? Two years would be the absolute minimum and 5 years, more likely!

In my opinion this is the "Blue Peter" mentality which has little or nothing to do with railway modelling as a hobby.

Totally agree more serious modeling and less race against time and then it doesn't work properly or it falls apart. Saw last series not seen any of this one too busy enjoying myself on the Broads

• Like 1

modelling isnt a hobby that lends itself to speed, to do it right is the priority, not to do it right now. as an example, the skin fitting for the model Broad Ambition, was probably three hours work, setting the lathe up, turning the piece, reconfiguring for threading, configuring back for parting off, it all takes time, 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grendel said:

modelling isnt a hobby that lends itself to speed, to do it right is the priority, not to do it right now. as an example, the skin fitting for the model Broad Ambition, was probably three hours work, setting the lathe up, turning the piece, reconfiguring for threading, configuring back for parting off, it all takes time, 

BA The model shows what work and time has to be put in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was probably just me, but I can't agree more with the comments above. When this show was first announced last year I really looked forward to it but there is far too much emphasis on gimmickry and little if any on the quality of the builds, the detailing of the scenery and model work, the practicality and reliability of the track work etc. That is what true railway modelling should be. Not a wagon which spits plastic haggis' down some unrealistic chute, with more missing their target than actually hit it, or giant Cornish pasties, or even a model "fly past", which could have been done much better than using thick black rods to hold them up. 

I did think I had scene it all (like the pun there!), until the recent crochet "psychedelic forest".

Blimey

• Like 1

Its just after 05:00, so I'm up and around before heading for our show at 06:00, our doors open at 07:00 for the traders and exhibitors to get in,. Apart from our club members helping them in, we have different jobs to do, me I've got PAT testing on any electrics with an out of date sticker.  Others will put up our signs down the road,  put banners out,  laying out the admissions area,  and the Aylsham ladies will be cooking up bacon butties plus tea and coffee for everyone. 

The doors open at 10:00, we have an old bus running between the Bure Valley Railway car park and the hall for free. 

At 16:00 we then have 3 hours , to get everyone out,  clean the floors , and put 100+ chairs and a stage back in place for the Sunday morning church service. 

• Like 2

The day went well,  we seemed to have a good attendance,  but won't have the full figures till next week. I got home around 19:00, this was because I had a trailer load of trestle tables to deliver back to the club so left the hall earlier,  while others were hoovering the hall before relaying 100+chairs +  stage for tomorrow's church services. 

I'm not involved with layout selection,  but I think we had a good range of layouts this year. It's always difficult getting the balance of layouts right from what is available and what we can afford. Layout owners do not charge for their time or the layout,  but shows cover their costs.  So bringing in a multi-operator layout from a long way can get expensive with van hire,  hotel rooms,  and meals to pay for. . 

The only incident we had was our own chairman while operating our layout of the year,  tripping over a chair and hitting the floor rather hard. He's bruised but OK. 

The church hall rebuild is delayed and only some external work will be done for next year so... Next week we'll have a debrief then they'll  start on the 2020 show,  although some layouts are already booked for our show same place,  October 3rd 2020. Before then we'll have another open day on I think May's second bank holiday Sunday 2020.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the first series I would have thought the judges, a top modeler and the editor of supposedly the most popular railway modeling magazine would have had something to say about the content. After seeing a16yr old lad at a local exhibition cutting roof tiles and patiently putting them singularly on an N gauge building emphasised what real modelling is all about

I won't be voting in the TV Awards and also lucky in the fact that my wife doesn't watch any soaps

11 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

After watching the first series I would have thought the judges, a top modeler and the editor of supposedly the most popular railway modeling magazine would have had something to say about the content. After seeing a16yr old lad at a local exhibition cutting roof tiles and patiently putting them singularly on an N gauge building emphasised what real modelling is all about

I won't be voting in the TV Awards and also lucky in the fact that my wife doesn't watch any soaps

Sadly it's an entertainment show that happens to occasionally feature some railway modelling.

The producers rule all in search of the biggest audience.

Having read contributions from some of the competitors on railway Modelling Forums, There is railway modelling filmed, but most ends up on the cutting room floor in favour of the talking heads..

The Show has increased audiences for Model railway shows, and therefore the chance of some joining the hobby, so I went to the page to vote. the hobby needs all the publicity it can get..

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

This isn't really a local show but it's the furthest I go to at the moment. I like this show..

It's this weekend and the bacon butties aren't too extortionate it being hall catering..

Take the road off the new peppermint junction roundabout.. to Spalding..

https://www.spaldingmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/exhibition/

Good show went 2yrs ago when we were at my daughters in Holbeach meals were v.good and reasonable price

• 3 weeks later...

You May remember the destruction of layouts and stands at Market Deeping by vandals.. The Market Deeping Clubs layout which was badly damaged has been invited to the Warley Show now that it has been restored...

What is the Warley Show?  Warley (near Birmingham) Model railway club gradually expanded their show until they needed to hire a hall at the NEC, Now it's even Bigger and hires the Biggest Hall at the NEC. 90+ layouts  a vast amount of traders, demonstrations etc. One of the biggest Model railway shows in  the world.. and it's on this weekend.

Picture1.png.48dcc1c280b73180381901ca615e26b5[1].png

• Like 1