Looking For Vintage Brochure / Pictures

Apollo

On 09/03/2019 at 09:39, Vaughan said:

I have just noticed that your boat has s/s handrails and an aluminium windscreen, but those in the earlier photos have wooden ones. These may have been changed in later years but may also indicate that your boat is a later build. The side window profiles seem to be the same.

I did notice as well, having done some repairs I’ve noticed that there are different screw hole patterns under our current rails which seem to indicate that they have been changed. I guess the wood didn’t stand the test of time!

On 09/03/2019 at 10:41, w-album said:

Are you sometimes moored on the Lea near Ware? Saw two ex Broads boats on a walk at the beginning of the year both with old reg numbers visible. Was one you? Liz

We have never been that far north so it must have been someone else. I have seen anotther Aquafibre 38 just like ours headed north on the Lee. I don’t think it is lived on though.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:15, Broads01 said:

I'm pretty sure the brochure has the size wrong and it's 38 foot. 

Our survey concurs :)

Thanks to everyone for the interest and the interesting facts and pictures!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I'm interested in buying an Aquafibre 38 - do you have any thoughts on it, any things to watch out for?

What's it like to live on? Does it fit through every lock, is it suited to all canals?

The alternative would be a narrowboat, but I'm very drawn to the Aquafibre 38.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Simon.

No it can't pass all canals. The locks on the Midland canals are only 7' wide, so you will be limited in where you can go. Even on 'broad' canals you will be limited by bridge headroom and tunnels. 

On this forum you will get a lot of great advice on the Broads and I'm sure a lot on the type boat. If you want more canal advice, it might be worth trying a canal forum as well.

Given that most narrow boats and wide beam narrow boats are steel hulled, personally I wouldn’t want to use a fibreglass hulled boat on the cut.  There’s clearly a significant risk of serious damage being inflicted if hit by a narrow boat.  Have you not watched Timothy West and Prunella Scales on the loose?? :default_gbxhmm:

• 1 month later...
On 19/07/2021 at 09:08, simonR said:

Many thanks for replies  - I saw one of these on the Regents Canal  in Little Venice over the weekend, was wondering how far along the canal route it would be able to go. 

Hey there, I'm sorry I just saw your messages. Feel free to contact me directly if you're still looking for info. The AF 38 is an amazing boat, though it can be too chunky for some areas as was already said. There is another one in London which is for sale I believe, I can't vouch for its condition as it's been left unattended for a while. I have the details of the owner if you're keen.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am sure someone will be along with a brochure shortly not sure that you will find that specific boat however there were 6 built and if I remember correctly T502 Glistening Stream 1 usually appeared. The Glistening Stream s were renamed Glistening Lights 5-10 cc 1980 merging with the older wooden Glistening Lights when they closed the Southgates main yard in Horning close to the Horning sail club.  I hired your boat as Glistening light 8 in 1988 from Woods. The GRP and Wood ex Stream boats ended their hire careers at Hearts Cruisers as Glistening Heart by then part of Richardsons although 1 may have gone from Diamond Cruisers at Horning an offshoot of Horning pleasure craft briefly. I believe your boat was part of an order for 10 of the original 35ft GRP moulds for this design being 6 Glistening Streams, the initial 2 Glenmores and initial 2 Baltimore's.

Neil

• 8 months later...

I have been sent a link to this post by a friend of mine as he thought it would be of interest as we are trying to find lots of things to do with the Herbert woods glistening stream boats as we bought glistening stream 2 as she’d of been known last November and are currently doing her up, we’ve returned her back to the broads too and saw one of her sister boats go past a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trambo said:

Alice Rose (Glistening Stream IV) on the River Ant in 2019.

Alice Rose. River Ant.

Fred

That’s brilliant, we have brought Miss Betty (glistening stream 2) back to the broads as said before. If anyone has any info on these I’d be very grateful even though I have a fair bit already. 

13 hours ago, Ian68 said:

Thank you, it looks far worse than the pictures show, plus she is nearly all original inside. 

:default_biggrin: We all look forward to seeing progress as it goes on, please.  Thank you.