Can Anyone Identify My Boat?

Herts

Hi,

I’ve been on the Norfolk Broads for years.  Due to a back condition, I’ve had to change my boat.  It was sold to me as a ‘Classic 27’.  However,  I’d love to know the actual make/model/builder or any information about her.  GRP hull, wood superstructure.  Many thanks!

C7F72E6F-0A1C-4479-A422-8EF7E0D9A161.jpeg

3EE49636-2B73-4A3C-959C-1C26A5653EBB.jpeg

D5EFCA1F-8041-41A8-A30C-BADE72F38422.jpeg

• Like 1

The 'Classic 27' refers to the fibreglass hull. These were moulded and then sold on to anyone interested in fitting one out. There are many on the broads a large number of which ended up as Hampton styled flat tops with sliding canopies although some center cockpit versions are out there as well as a few aft cockpit variants.

I was told that the hull was originally developed for coastal use (hence the spray rails) for an order that was subsequently cancelled. It seems the mould tool then had an insert fitted to lose the deep v towards the transom and allow them to be more suitable for river work. There are some out there with an oak keel bolted along the bottom!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Herts, Hull design dates back to the 1970s but is still produced as the Silverline 27 by Silverline at Brundall. Very common in hire fleets until recently in all design guises. Composite versions like yours being popular in the earlier builds. Is any of the superstructure  original?

Fred

• Thanks 1

JanetAnne, Trambo & Everyone,

Great info, thank you so much.  I suspect I may have something a little unique then!  All of the superstructure is wood and  I suspect, original.  Inside, you’d think that you were in a wooden boat which is something I love but I didn’t want the work and worry of a timber hull!  Although the front cabin is two V berths, I immediately thought that she may have been a forerunner of Hamptons as she has a similar feel etc.  I’ve now got to get the outside varnished desperately in order to save her from deteriorating and reflect the nice interior.

waffle over!  Thanks again, everyone :)

• Like 1

Welcome to forum Herts, 

She`s a little stunner, and in good condition. How long have you had her, and any chance you can tells us some of your exploits aboard?.  It`s always good when new members get involved with the forum, and the many different subjects etc.