Drink Your Water

Chelsea14Ian

What a great Friday evening!I checked in first at Erith Urgent care centre at 17.00.Yesterday afternoon I sat down for a bite to eat at work,just gone 14.00.My left leg started to shake uncontrollably for about five minutes. This was very worrying. After about fifteen minutes I returned to work.This whole thing worried me,so I went to the UCC.After blood pressure checks temps etc,the doctor advised me to go to hospital at Dartford. I called Marina to take me to E&A.Blood tests ,E.C.G and other tests followed. Thankfully a stroke was ruled out,but the fact I got into work at 06.15 and did not sit down to 14.15 not drinkink enough water resulting in a Muscular problem. The Doctor confirmed that it wasn't a stroke but lack of rest and water brought on this,believe me it was very frightening. Okay no one makes me work without rest for so long.Have always worked hard and it is difficult for me to change,but as Marina has said I do need to take stock.

Both hospitals were busy,we got to bed just before three o'clock this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

I regularly used to work 64 hours a week, sometimes much longer. When i got into my late 50s, i started to have head probles, and also joint aches and pains.  I turned 60 last year, and have`nt worked a Saturday since, plus i`ve cut right back on the amount of overtime i do. None of us are getting younger, and the more senior in years amongst us MUST prioritise life, rather than riches and trinkets. My dad used to say, you`re a long time dead, and someone else (can`t` remember who) said there are no shops in heaven, with this in mind, i too took stock, and now without so many hours, my head issues have gone, and so will the medication for it soon.  What also does`nt help is working in a steel box factory, which is like an oven in summer, and a fridge in winter. I go through countless bottles of water in the summer, and countless cups of tea in the winter to keep warm.

As Ian says, ALWAYS keep your hydration levels up, you can always go to the loo.

As I say, don`t overdo it, there are no broads cruisers in heaven.

Hope you`re feeling much better now Ian.

• Like 1

I got myself fairly badly dehydrated a few years ago whilst sightseeing in Washington DC on a cold December day.  You tend to associate water loss with sweating and heat, but you can also use a huge amount of water through the nose and mouth in very cold weather. Fortunately Nik spotted what was happening - I was out of it by that time - and plied me with water and soft drinks. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You should always carry water with you and keep sipping it through the day.     Some folk over do and to drink too much , and I mean an awful lot can be even more harmful.  Happy medium.

Hi Monica, 

As a child I often had sickness and the doctor said I had to have 6 pints of boiled water a day until I felt better and could keep food down.

So how much is too much?

Regards

Alan

Some folk have been known to down 3  2 ltr bottles in a day - that I personally would consider going over the top.      That is 3 2ltr bottles of water be it still or carbonated , you takes your choice.   I would imagine if it were carbonated you would be burping and even worse all day long.

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Many of you know by trade, I am a chef.So I will go through lots of water.Sonetimes such as yesterday, I dont drink enough ,plus working without a break for eight hours doesn't help.

Alan been there done that ran the kitchen on my own, for a large pub I managed. the difference was the kettle in my kitchen never really got cold. Pint mug of tea, winter or summer always to hand and the waitresses knew if it was empty, to make me another.

44 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Alan been there done that ran the kitchen on my own, for a large pub I managed. the difference was the kettle in my kitchen never really got cold. Pint mug of tea, winter or summer always to hand and the waitresses knew if it was empty, to make me another.

For me during the day at work, water is best.Tea morning and evening.A coffee on the way to work.High days and holidays, wine or beer sometimes Whisky (after work).

Ian