Water Tanks

Andrewcook

I don't see any reason for that! The water will have been in the dark and cool (for the most part). I'm sure those who want to, will clean out their tanks. but I for one won't bother. I don't drink much water except in tea or coffee, but the occasional glass for taking meds and perhaps the very occasional glass of squash. I have been boating for 55 years now and have never either cleaned out a water tank or boiled the stuff for drinking!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I don't see any reason for that! The water will have been in the dark and cool (for the most part). I'm sure those who want to, will clean out their tanks. but I for one won't bother. I don't drink much water except in tea or coffee, but the occasional glass for taking meds and perhaps the very occasional glass of squash. I have been boating for 55 years now and have never either cleaned out a water tank or boiled the stuff for drinking!

Ahh but at our age we have built up a decent immune system. Kids today probably don't eat mud, worms, newts etc. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Mine will get a drain down, half fill, drain, fill and use, I drink my tank water with no worries.

I don't use milton or similar, just keep the alcahol level up to keep the bugs down (good excuse eh).

That just might be the secret of my success!

My yacht tank is a fibreglass shaped to fit unit under the V berth. You can remove the top which is sikaflexed down - so a few years ago I did. Whilst the water looked and seemed fine, there was a awful lot of back spores on the inside of the tank, and it does get used a fair bit too.

We have drained and flushed through our water tank a few times in the last few weeks. It had been sat ashore with an unknown quantity of water in the plastic tank for almost a year. We completely drained it and then added plenty of sterilizing tablets to the tank and refilled it making sure we pulled the water through all of the plumbing and taps. We then let it sit for 24 hours before we redrained it and refilled with fresh water and a few more tablets. This was then left for a week before we drained it down again and refilled with just fresh water.

There is still the faint chlorine taint to the water that we run off but we are confident that the water system is now cleaned through and we will start drinking the water again now.

We only have a small water tank onboard so it is filled up on a regular basis under normal circumstances and flushed through with plenty of water.

We have twin saddle tanks and we take immense care to not add anything but clean cool water whenever we fill up. We filled up last Saturday when our for the day. We don’t use any sterilizing liquids of any sort as they actually create the problem you’re trying to eliminate. Think antiobiotic resistance and you’re not far wrong. Keep it fresh use plenty fill frequently and fannies your auntie