A Warm Welcome...maybe

Cheesey69

And here it is. If you want to be a superior idiot, you'll have to try harder. You have a long way to go. At the present, I'd rate you 6 out of 10. I'm at a much lower level, but trying to hang on to your coat tails as you soar into the stratosphere of total idiocy. This from the man who took off from a mooring with the wheel loose on the splines, resulting in total loss of steering, followed by unbridled panic whilst heading for the opposite bank.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I once got handed the controls of a small norman while the owner went up front to deal with ropes, it had twin lever controls, and he failed to tell me the gear cables were oposite as they were the wrong ones and he'd knocked it out of gear as he approached the bank....

Being a small outboard it was a job to tell if it was just not good at stopping or if I was genuinely trying to crush him against the bank as he clung onto the reeds with one hand and tried to fend off with the other, as it wasn't stopping I gave it more throttle to stop harder, oh how he laughed...... (well I did anyway)

Does this take me up the idiocy scales?

Very good answers all and I now have a better understanding of the situation. 
And here’s my but. 
The newbie hirers two away from us wasn’t impressed and later while walking the dog decided Acle would be a better bet. 
Now I love the tea rooms there and the line for Lathams was silly so there really was not much to keep me there and spend.  
Potter is a bit bleak at times and as someone once said it was a destination once now you just pass through. 
The Broads are going to need all the friends it can get in the coming months as the downturn hits and government funds dry. 
I live and work a 150 miles away and yet hardly anyone I work with knows the Broads exists. 
Ask about the Lake District however. 
Cut backs and law changes are worked on by popular consent so a few million shaved off the EA budget for flood defence, a few mill off the BA budget or maybe allow Railtrak to keep those swing bridges closed to improve journey times of thousands who’s going to argue our case?

A bit of an off topic rant but we have got to open the Broads arms wide but not just to bird watchers and anglers but to boaters in the form of better and more moorings and facilities because the other interest groups will. 
Sorry

😐 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

A bit of an off topic rant but we have got to open the Broads arms wide but not just to bird watchers and anglers but to boaters in the form of better and more moorings and facilities because the other interest groups will. 

So very true! But we mustn't forget alternative users, which we have in the past. Long distance walkways we have, but we need complimentary accommodation and facilities. These could be said for bridleways,  surely a huge potential there to provide a new experience. The same could be said for cycle tracks, once again possibly a potential well worth exploring. Back packers too, just needs some imagination and coordination of interests.

As for boaters, yes we do need more moorings, but do they have to be so elaborate? Not everyone needs running water, crushed aggregate, electricity and information boards, we just need to be able to moor, after all, our boats are generally self-contained little worlds able to survive a few privations!  .

If anything the Broads needs more destinations and facilities, for all and sundry, not just boats. More than anything it needs creative thinking and creative leadership. At the moment there is no real leadership, just would be leaders pulling in different directions, often pursuing their own blinkered agenda.

• Like 5

As a small aside: We were out in the caravan last weekend and for the first time ever we were pitched just by the entrance to the campsite. You would be amazed at the the number of people who don't switch their engines off while booking in to the site. Trying for a peaceful Friday afternoon was a waste of time. The guy at Potter has more than likely experienced more people like that than those who respect the peace of others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, floydraser said:

As a small aside: We were out in the caravan last weekend and for the first time ever we were pitched just by the entrance to the campsite. You would be amazed at the the number of people who don't switch their engines off while booking in to the site. Trying for a peaceful Friday afternoon was a waste of time. The guy at Potter has more than likely experienced more people like that than those who respect the peace of others.

I agree with you and probably the guy had wound himself up like a coiled spring long before the OP arrived on the scene.   He probably spent the night before the release of hire boats not being able to sleep thinking about what was in store for him and his neighbours.  Was very unfortunate that the OP did not realise that on the sign of QUIET MOORINGS underneath it says , you must turn your engine off within 2 mins of arrival.       I hope that last sentence is taken as meant as a light hearted quip.  :default_stinky:

• Haha 1

I was at Womack Straithe last week when at 8am the Ricko bathtub next to us started his engine and ran it for a while, all totally legal (I think)

However, it kept setting my CO2 detector off, in the end I had to take the batteries out, we then left earlier than planned (remembering to put the batteries back in)

He seemed a decent guy, I could've said something but as on holiday I didn't want to have a confrontation

Now I know he didn't really do anything wrong, but I don't do that, I start the engine get the ropes ready and leave, probably 3 mins, I turn the engine off once the ropes are secure when we moor, again 2-3mins and adjust if necessary when the engine is off

In the morning we cruise for a bit, Mandy then has a shower, she then takes the helm while I shower, I'm lucky there are two of us, I just dislike diesel engines running!

I can see the both sides of this problem, the answer is be reasonable and considerate

• Like 4

Got to be said that on one occasion I did resort to direct action. A very large, enviable sports cruiser moored up-wind of us, the skipper leaving his engines running, and running and running. We were sat there, previously enjoying our picnic lunch. Fresh air is a reasonable entitlement, in my jaded opinion, so I very reasonably, and politely asked the obvious owner if he'd mind turning off his engines. That didn't work nor did two further pleas. His acrid exhaust was both extremely unpleasant and probably equally unhealthy so in both exasperation and desperation I stepped up onto his side deck, reached across and turned off his confounded engines whilst telling him what I thought of his bloody minded lack of consideration. I really don't think that he actually had any comprehension of the stench and annoyance that his engines were creating. Effectively two lorry sized engines spewing out near neat diesel exhaust! Expect that my name was dirt but I really didn't see why my then young family should have to have that inflicted upon them. I have every sympathy for the 'turn your bl##dy engine off' school of thought! 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, tim said:

I was at Womack Straithe last week when at 8am the Ricko bathtub next to us started his engine and ran it for a while, all totally legal (I think)

However, it kept setting my CO2 detector off, in the end I had to take the batteries out, we then left earlier than planned (remembering to put the batteries back in)

He seemed a decent guy, I could've said something but as on holiday I didn't want to have a confrontation

Now I know he didn't really do anything wrong, but I don't do that, I start the engine get the ropes ready and leave, probably 3 mins, I turn the engine off once the ropes are secure when we moor, again 2-3mins and adjust if necessary when the engine is off

In the morning we cruise for a bit, Mandy then has a shower, she then takes the helm while I shower, I'm lucky there are two of us, I just dislike diesel engines running!

I can see the both sides of this problem, the answer is be reasonable and considerate

Byelaw 84 Emission of Smoke or Fumes or the Making of Noise

The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Byelaw 84 Emission of Smoke or Fumes or the Making of Noise

The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person.

Fred

Try telling that to the Broads Authority bosses. I have, several times, face to face, in writing and as a member of the Navigation Committee, might just as well have saved my breath!

Sometimes I think it’s the lack of information on the capacity of the boats battery bank. 
when I was sailing, I had an instrument that told me state of charge, how many hours left in the bank as well as current draw and how long to recharge. 
Batteries last a lot longer than most think and a good run to next mooring sorts that out. 
same with hot water, just go easy and you shouldn’t run out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

That's disgusting Peter! Why on Earth would the BA not accept that you were discussing "reasonable grounds"

Sorry matey, I couldn't resist it. :-)

Regretfully many of the Navigation Bylaws were drafted without much, if any thought to legal definition. For example, is it possible to define and quantify what is reasonable in regard to something as transient as exhaust fumes or noise? There is nothing in the regulation that states for example, as to what decibel level an exhaust become an unreasonable nuisance?  It wouldn't take a particularly sharp lawyer to successfully defend a wayward client on that one and I suspect that the BA knows it.  At what point does it become reasonable to be annoyed? My point was that if a lorry or car can have its exhaust emissions measured, and be penalised if they exceeded a defined level,  then so it could and should it be the case for a boat. Indeed, perhaps it should be a requirement of the Boat Safety Scheme. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Regretfully many of the Navigation Bylaws were drafted without much, if any thought to legal definition. For example, is it possible to define and quantify what is reasonable in regard to something as transient as exhaust fumes or noise? There is nothing in the regulation that states for example, as to what decibel level an exhaust become an unreasonable nuisance?  It wouldn't take a particularly sharp lawyer to successfully defend a wayward client on that one and I suspect that the BA knows it.  At what point does it become reasonable to be annoyed? My point was that if a lorry or car can have its exhaust emissions measured, and be penalised if they exceeded a defined level,  then so it could and should it be the case for a boat. Indeed, perhaps it should be a requirement of the Boat Safety Scheme. 

There be dragons down that path. 
sometimes the engine power don’t suit river work, your example the vessel was never made for slow running. 
kills the engines. 

58 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

There be dragons down that path. 
sometimes the engine power don’t suit river work, your example the vessel was never made for slow running. 
kills the engines. 

There lies the problem, indeed there be very many dragons looming in the background on that one!

People should be more thoughtful when choosing a boat for Broads use, e.g.slow running and Potter Heigham Bridge being perennial issues! :default_norty:

• Like 1