Having Trouble Mooring!

Meantime

No problem just call the lifeboat. Seems that Hemsby lifeboat were called out recently to assist a leisure craft with three persons on board who needed assistance to find a safe mooring and who were unsure of their exact location. Even with all today's modern gadgets seems people can still get lost! What happened to good old map reading. Oh and mud weight and rhond anchors.

36 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

No problem just call the lifeboat. Seems that Hemsby lifeboat were called out recently to assist a leisure craft with three persons on board who needed assistance to find a safe mooring and who were unsure of their exact location. Even with all today's modern gadgets seems people can still get lost! What happened to good old map reading. Oh and mud weight and rhond anchors.

Do you feel like quoting us the source of this information? I hope it didn't come from facebook as you have already expressed your indignation to that . . . . 

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I had a phone call from a friend telling me that. I'm sure as you'd expect data protection and all that, you won't mind if I don't publish their name and number here.

Not in the least. But it applies to others as well as yourself.

5 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Vaughan, about time you gave it up, this could get very tiresome!

Then you should not have started it by introducing bad feeling and personal abuse of another member, into this forum from "another source". It is all very well to escape sanction by "thanking" the moderators for their posts as though you are the aggrieved party but I still dis-approve of your behaviour.

7 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

It's also on other more 'information based' forums AND Hemsby Lifeboat's own Facebook page

Yes it's worth pointing out that Facebook is used in many ways by many different people. Some like Hemsby Lifeboat have their own page which they use to publicise their work and help with fund raising. Others form open or public groups such as Broads Watch, again as a means to disseminate information. Finally others form closed, or private groups such as the NBN and The Southern Broads Boat Owners group where you have to ask, or be invited to join the group and there is a reasonable expectation of privacy with those conversations, or discussions.

I'm sure you are aware of that, but it was worth repeating for those here who may not be aware.

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Then you should not have started it by introducing bad feeling and personal abuse of another member, into this forum from "another source". It is all very well to escape sanction by "thanking" the moderators for their posts as though you are the aggrieved party but I still dis-approve of your behaviour.

I could, but I'm really not going to go into this any more out of consideration for everyone else who has to read this.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

By the tone of this post it sounds like this would never happen to you, you are obviously far too knowledgeable and experienced to get into this situation.

But think for a minute, these people could have been inexperienced, frightened and running out of day light. They probably phoned the emergency services who in turn called the coastguard.

They did the right thing in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many inexperienced crews who leave it late to get moored up. I think this is about the first time I have heard of one calling the emergency services though! and it is Summer time with some of the longer days of the year.

The location is one of the safer locations on The Broads with a good few hard quay headed areas around to moor up to. Wasn't as if they were on the Lower Bure, or Waveney or Breydon.

• Like 2

They were, according to the Hemsby Lifeboat report, found "East of St Bennets Abbey" (Their spelling) though that could mean any where from Horning St Benets Abbey.. or up to Ludham Bridge.

Plenty of places to stop..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would certainly be interesting to know the ins and outs of this incident. I believe I read that a Richardson’s engineer was also present so maybe there was an engine problem too? 
Or maybe they just got hacked off because they had left it too late in the evening and all the moorings were taken! 
We’ll probably never know. 

What happened to good old map reading.

Since the demise of Hamiltons' I think the Broads lacks a dedicated detailed map.

Yes we all have Google maps, etc but is not the same.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

It's a shame, I used to like Hamilton's and discovered a few off the beaten tracks places because of it. I have the last revision as well as several earlier ones. 

I suspect this year there might be a few people who would rather have been in Spain, or France, and have booked a UK boating holiday at the last minute without doing much research first.

• Like 3

Yup, loads of moorings absolutely no where. 
Back when I first hired I believed the ads that showed people and pubs

Bit of a shock to find out that most are in the middle of no where and that handy shops was in places you had to arrive well early 

I remember my first hire. We picked up the boat from Acle and went as far as South Walsham and moored up with some difficulty due to the high water that year. We got ready and then set off for a mile traipse along country lane and across a muddy field before eventually ending up at The Ship Inn. On our return to the boat it was starting to get dark and much to my friends surprise I pulled a torch out my pocket and we continued back to the boat. I explained that I had read the paperwork and packed the list of suggested items, including a torch for those dark country lanes.

Got hooked on The Broads straight away and been coming back ever since.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

whats the water level like, is it high at the moment?, maybe boats are not getting through.

It was very high this morning. The couple of side-on moorings at Surlingham Ferry looked decidedly low, probably only a few inches from over-topping.