A Weekend On Water Rail

YnysMon

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why, but we managed to do from Friday to Monday last time without topping up the water once. We were pretty frugal in using the water and had bottles of water with us. Anything changed since last time Peter, apart from you fixing the auto bilge pump?

On 16/08/2020 at 14:26, YnysMon said:

We’ll be on Water Rail from Friday 28th to Bank Holiday Monday . . . . .

We’ll be on Norfolk Lady over the Bank Holiday, but from Wednesday evening until Sunday.  We’re planning on staying south, so Oulton Broad, Beccles and Pyes Mill are all on the radar over the weekend.

The thing is...but who buys the stuff in August?

Oh. Hang on...says the person who bought RNLI Ch***mas cards in August a couple of years back. All for a good cause, and not anticipating going to another RNLI shop the rest of the year.

(Any excuse!)

:default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Not sure why, but we managed to do from Friday to Monday last time without topping up the water once. We were pretty frugal in using the water and had bottles of water with us. Anything changed since last time Peter, apart from you fixing the auto bilge pump?

well we found the reason the bilge pump was operating, and that is because the water tank has a couple of places it is dripping, if you look at the bottom boards under that starboard water tank, you will see they are always wet. so the tank is on its last legs, and will need replacement soon, its an old galvanised tank so not recommended for welding. it seems to slow down with about half a tankfull left

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, grendel said:

well we found the reason the bilge pump was operating, and that is because the water tank has a couple of places it is dripping, if you look at the bottom boards under that starboard water tank, you will see they are always wet. so the tank is on its last legs, and will need replacement soon, its an old galvanised tank so not recommended for welding. it seems to slow down with about half a tankfull left

We had a similar problem with our old water tank a short while ago. I think it must have been leaking very slowly for some time as the wooden beams etc it was resting on were rotten and had to be replaced. Not an easy job and quite expensive. 

We had a similar issue with the Stbd water tank on 'B.A' too.  Fortunately it is s/steel so could be repaired.  The issue was caused by the original build of incorrectly sized and fitted hardwood supports.  The leak had not been going long so the supports were still sound.  I was able to add more supports and fit them better

Griff

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

As I mentioned last week, we will be on Water Rail from tomorrow until Monday. If you spot us, give us a wave!

Watch this space for the weekend's tale.

Helen

Customary flag in evidence, Helen?

Given strong winds are forecast (again!) for Saturday we are thinking of making our way to the Yare on Friday afternoon, as there’s a nice early afternoon low water transition from Waveney to Yare, and then continue up to the upper, more sheltered sections above Brundall Saturday before the worst of the wind comes along. Maybe back to the Waveney on Sunday.
Who knows. I’m always making plans and then changing them. 

:default_dunce:

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Have fun, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to fit these to the cupboards in the cockpit area yet, to replace the brass screws currently in use.

IMG_20200827_154526.jpg

Those brass screws are a classic fitting!!!!

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

As I mentioned last week, we will be on Water Rail from tomorrow until Monday. If you spot us, give us a wave!

Watch this space for the weekend's tale.

Helen

Have a lovely weekend.  It will be this weekend last year I made the difficult decision to find a new custodian for her.  We went to Barton Regatta as usual and the weather was glorious - a fitting but sad end to a very long era.  Cooked roast loin of pork and trimmings for 8 people and drank a lot of wine!  I am so pleased she is being used and enjoyed!  I was sent a photo of her last week out and about on the Waveney!

Liz

• Like 2

Thanks Liz. We are so looking forward to our weekend, even though it doesn’t look to be the glorious weather it was last year. It’s still a bonus for us to be unexpectedly back on the river again. 
Actually, we feel we are really making up for lockdown, this will be our third visit to the Broads since the 4th of July, and have a fortnight on Moonlight Shadow to look forward to next month too. :default_party0001:

• Like 1