Why Can’t These People Use Mutford Lock?

Hi Paul, I was typing this while you posted yours and won't change anything now. Once upon a time these bridges were 100% and had to be for the ships that went to the port of norwich. Any way here's my little rant. :default_biggrin:

We recently had the situation where Reedham bridge could not open but somerlayton was ok. Within hours of Reedham working again and somerlayton was unable to open. Why on earth they can't just get on and start the repairs to Haven bridge is beyond me. Most of the work allegedly is electrics which could be done, one would imagine, with minimal inconvenience to jo public. 

We are fortunate in that we can fold down to 8ft to clear the bridges we go under but I do feel sorry for those who need these bridges to be reliable. Not everyone can afford the extra time necessary waiting for a bridge to be serviceable so they can return to their home mooring or begin their sea voyage.

So to all the authorities, councils and other overpaid bods, pull your bl..dy finger out. Time and Tide wait for no man.

:default_smiley-angry047:

Colin :default_drinks:

p.s. What will happen first, Acle strait dual carriageway or all the bridges working 100%.

• Like 2

You missed the "Barton to Hickling" canal.

We can but dream

Plus:-

The link between the Bure Loop direct into Breydon

Reinstating Coltishall to Aylesham

NW&D Canal - This will happen

Reinstating Geldeston to Bungay

Reinstating Sutton Broad

Removing the Bure 'Hump'

Dredging the lower Bure Properly, especially the corners right down to the infamous yellow post

Griff

I really don't understand these people keeping a sea-going boat miles up a river. There is not much more than a grands difference between Brundall Bay and Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

But there again for sea cruising East Anglia is a bit dire with a few exceptions, compared to the South Coast west of Chichester and the whole of the west coast of England, Wales and Scotland.

Perhaps someone can correct me here, but I understood that any livestock that attached itself to a boat below the waterline, would be either freshwater or seawater but could not live in both. thus a boat normally moored in freshwater going to sea, would loose all Zebra mussels etc and on return would loose any barnacles.  A free bottom scrape as it were.

True or fiction?

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I really don't understand these people keeping a sea-going boat miles up a river. There is not much more than a grands difference between Brundall Bay and Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

But there again for sea cruising East Anglia is a bit dire with a few exceptions, compared to the South Coast west of Chichester and the whole of the west coast of England, Wales and Scotland.

Why do you keep a boat on the broads when your only a mile from the sea.

Simply because my boat is designed, and indeed certified, for inland waterways and not vice versa!! Although the Broad Ambition boys have taken their boat to sea, it is not something you do without an enormous amount of preparation and fore thought and very careful check with the forecast!

If you want to cruise at sea regularly, buy a boat capable of doing so and certified accordingly and, I guess then moor it where you can use it properly! Don't moor it on the Broads and then moan you cannot get in and out when it suits you, and not the railways or GYBC!!!! This is not a new problem with the bridges!!!!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, marshman said:

Simply because my boat is designed, and indeed certified, for inland waterways and not vice versa!! Although the Broad Ambition boys have taken their boat to sea, it is not something you do without an enormous amount of preparation and fore thought and very careful check with the forecast!

If you want to cruise at sea regularly, buy a boat capable of doing so and certified accordingly and, I guess then moor it where you can use it properly! Don't moor it on the Broads and then moan you cannot get in and out when it suits you, and not the railways or GYBC!!!! This is not a new problem with the bridges!!!!!

You miss the point my boat is a sea going boat certified for the sea, it has been to Torquay, south coast, Jersey, France, Belgium, Netherlands etc. I do this a month of the year, the other 11 months I enjoy spending on the broads. I've spent the last fifty yrs living and being on the broads and still enjoy it,

So just because it dosent suit you I should move elsewhere, I don't complain about the bridges, but they should do what they where built for "openning"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Perhaps someone can correct me here, but I understood that any livestock that attached itself to a boat below the waterline, would be either freshwater or seawater but could not live in both. thus a boat normally moored in freshwater going to sea, would loose all Zebra mussels etc and on return would loose any barnacles.  A free bottom scrape as it were.

True or fiction?

But it’s the body shells they leave behind when they die is a pain. 
my experience is the slime dies but the shells and foot attachments remain

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thunder said:

Why do you keep a boat on the broads when your only a mile from the sea.

I am no longer a boat owner. I owned a boat on the broads due to age and my late wife's health.

However I have done a bit of sailing at sea. Both sides of the English Channel inc the Channel Island, around Brest as far as the Morbihan as  family on my Centaur and Berwick. Crewed a Contessa 32 in the weather that hit the 79 Fasnet. And completed the Azores and back. 

I still say why keep a boat miles up river to be hampered by bridges if you want to go to sea. Two seasons were enough for me at Cobbs Quay because of the Bridge. You pay a bit more but an any state of the tide, deep water marina with direct sea access pays for itself.

• Like 2