Old Broads Map

floydraser

It also shows Surlingham Broad as non navigable, which it wasn't, officially, in the 50s. Also a deep water branch at the top end of Breydon, which was the site of the old cement factory. Rockland Broad appears before it had a buoyed channel across it.

This is a tourist map, which is an interpretation of the O.S. map, but it depends which version the map was taken from.

I think I agree with TheQ though.

• Like 1

I would agree with those that say 1960's but still could be 1970's  difficult to tell as the map is not fully detailed being a tourist map.

However, Yarmouth Beach station is not there and nor is the old Breydon Railway Bridge.

Also the bridge that used to carry the line to Yarmouth Beach used to cross the Bure in the middle of the Yacht Station and it does not show on the  map.    It was still there in 1973.

In those days it was Yacht morrings above the bridge and power craft below.

In addion the line to Vauxhall station terminates without crossing the river. In the early 70's the tracks were still there along the road to the docks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Seems to be a chain ferry at Buckenham, when did that pack up?

Well before the War, I think! The small basin in front of the pub today, is the old ferry dock.

It shows a ferry at Coldham Hall which was still there in the 60s.  It was an old reed barge, which was rowed across by anyone in the pub who felt like it (including me) when someone rang the bell on the little jetty at the end of the lane opposite, in Brundall.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grendel said:

16015632303141355566055.jpg

This shows a foot ferry on Whitlingham bend, at the end of Whitlingham Lane (north) which was the reason for the footbridge (still there) and the right of way across the line at Whitlingham station. Going past what is now the Commissioners Cut.

It doesn't show the old Whitlingham road ferry, a bit further down, from Bungalow Lane across to the old Whitlingham church.

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Broads Map 5.jpg

I notice the Pickerel Arms, upstream of the bridge in Beccles.

For a couple of years in the 60s, I was a member of the Pickerel No 2 crew in the Beccles and All England shovel-boat race, held on the last evening of Beccles Regatta.

It was raced in hire boat dinghies, rowed with genuine wooden brewers' shovels. The one and only rule of the race, was that you were not allowed to sink any of the other competitors, before the start!

There's health and safety for you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It shows a ferry at Coldham Hall which was still there in the 60s.  It was an old reed barge, which was rowed across by anyone in the pub who felt like it (including me) when someone rang the bell on the little jetty at the end of the lane opposite, in Brundall.

And if the ferry was on the wrong side of the river and no one came along to row it across then there was only one option, and bl""dy cold it was too, at least in May (Coldham Hall Regatta, mad, impetuous youth!)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, floydraser said:

Broads Map 4.jpg

Looking again at this, I notice how little development there is on the outskirts of Norwich.  Pound Lane, to the east of Thorpe is open country and Thorpe End is not there.  Catton and Sprowston are open country and the Plumstead Rd is only developed on the south side.  Behind the red word NORWICH is Boulton and Paul's airfield, where they developed the Defiant fighter before the War. All that is now the big Heartsease Estate. I remember going shooting with my father around there, in open country on both sides of the Ring Rd.

Whitlingham station is shown and I think that closed in 1953.

So I would think the map on which this is based is early 50s. The Jarrolds version may be quite a bit later.

• Like 1

The Jarrold map does not show the Aylsham line which closed to passengers 1952 (1982 for freight).

Nor the North Walsham to Great Yarmouth Beach station line which closed 1959,

But it shows the old main road through Potter Heigham so it's before construction of the road and new bridge on the old railway line, the old railway bridge being demolished 1968. 

So it's pretty certain the map is 1960  - 1970

• Like 2