The Bn Park To Feature On A Postage Stamp!

JennyMorgan

Right now, as far as I am concerned,  you can call the Norfolk Broads anything you like as long as it helps to bring enough revenue in to save what's left of our holiday industry and riverside pubs etc.

Whats left of the riverside businesses that have survived covid are just about to disappear under floodwater. It's been a hell of a year for broadland! 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Right now, as far as I am concerned,  you can call the Norfolk Broads anything you like as long as it helps to bring enough revenue in to save what's left of our holiday industry and riverside pubs etc.

That is a New Year's resolution, if ever I heard one!    :default_icon_clap:

• Like 5

• Maxwellian changed the title to The Bn Park To Feature On A Postage Stamp!

We have long endured floods and gales, nothing will change there, the Broads will bounce back from this latest inundation just as it always does!  

Just how bookings that are usually made over the Christmas holiday period hold up, now, that is a very real concern. Those deposits can come in very handy at this time of the year.

I got a Christmas card from Richardsons by e-mail, on Christmas Day.  So they haven't forgotten about that piece of marketing!

All the yards used to send their regular customers a Christmas card, as it arrives just at the time when they are thinking of booking a holiday.  It is very effective!

• Like 2

Mr. Brinkhof was certainly an innovative individual so it wouldn't surprise me if he was the first to send out Christmas cards. For me he was better known for the Swiss Navy's annual invasion of the Broads, that was clever marketing, all for the cost of a Swiss Navy flag! 

• Like 1

Fred Brinkoff (I think that's the spelling) made an arrangement with Soler's travel agency in Switzerland to bring customers over on a chartered aircraft to Norwich, which meant starting their holiday on a Thursday.  One of the earliest versions of a "package" holiday!  One or two yards, including Hearts, reserved boats specially for Soler's customers and so this also created the mid-week holiday start.  Until then, all bookings had been from Saturday to Saturday.  This would have been in about 1964, when it first started.

Solers agency was still running, last time I looked. and they are very important customers for boats on the French canals.  I met Fred Soler several times, as he was invited to several CBL board meetings and gave a lot of input into our boat design and customer service.