Road Works 2021

TheQ

Where I live the proposal to build a railway line was abandoned around 1900.

Buses what buses? There aren't any unless you like carrying heavy bags of shopping from the nearest bus a mile and a half away.. and there aren't many of them. 4 buses a day, taking 2 hours 2 minutes minimum up to 3hours 10 minutes to do the journey. All requiring two or 3 buses, requiring walking between bus routes as they don't connect directly.

Distance?  20 miles..

Back to road works, between Ludham Johnson Street and Ludham traffic lights due to a partially collapsed building by the roadside.. a vehicle may have helped in that.

Catfield, just off the A149 towards Haines factory, road closed or so it says.. when they're not working you can weave your way through like the bus does. 

The road signs imply the road works are on the A149 but they're not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

A new set of road works signs ( for traffic lights) have appeared outside the Tescos Junction at Stalham.

Where at 06:00 this morning there was queue of traffic almost to the A149 for petrol I expect chaos...

Meanwhile a few minutes later in Wroxham, there were people queueing up for fuel on Norwich road, at the barriered off PFS of Roys, two cars had obviously driven in the exit and were at the pumps... The petrol Station was in darkness....

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

A new set of road works signs ( for traffic lights) have appeared outside the Tescos Junction at Stalham.

Where at 06:00 this morning there was queue of traffic almost to the A149 for petrol I expect chaos...

Meanwhile a few minutes later in Wroxham, there were people queueing up for fuel on Norwich road, at the barriered off PFS of Roys, two cars had obviously driven in the exit and were at the pumps... The petrol Station was in darkness....

They should have built a roundabout at that junction, but lights would be next best option I think. Getting out of Tesco to turn right can be a nightmare ( as you are well aware I guess )

3 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

They should have built a roundabout at that junction, but lights would be next best option I think. Getting out of Tesco to turn right can be a nightmare ( as you are well aware I guess )

There was a roundabout planned by Tesco when they wanted to expand onto what is now the Macarthy and Stone Site. But the plans were objected to twice by the Stalhamites.. Tesco gave up..

I don't think the traffic lights warned about, are permanent they are just for the road works..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

There was a roundabout planned by Tesco when they wanted to expand onto what is now the Macarthy and Stone Site. But the plans were objected to twice by the Stalhamites.. Tesco gave up..

I don't think the traffic lights warned about, are permanent they are just for the road works..

Darn - got my hopes up there

• 2 months later...

It's 19:00 to midnight each day, on the days you said, there can be delays. But not totally closed, according to the roads web site.

I think that means there could be closures for a few minutes at a time..

The traffic lights are however for the duration.. 8th to the 13th,,,

Via Colt it is for me...

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2021 at 12:17, TheQ said:

Not entirely sure it was all the fault of the Stalhamites. The farmer who owns the field on the other side of the road from Tesco/ McCarthy Stone refused to sell the land. Many discussions were had with him by Stalham Town Council, Tesco, North Norfolk District Council and the planning department. He steadfastly refused to budge on his position. 

Norwich rd is closed at the previously mentioned road works in Wroxham..

The official diversion is via Acle. Needless to say most cars are going through Coltishall, getting past the church, with the parked cars is causing big delays...

• Thanks 1

We’ve been keeping an eye on the traffic delays via Google Maps. My other half may need to drive into Norwich tomorrow evening as the trains are too few to make that a viable option. 

Edited to add that I have read reports that they may get the road open at some point tomorrow afternoon. 👍

My 20 min commute home took an hour yesterday. Went up the Coltishall road from the NDR and it was backing up from the top of the 'White Horse hill' at Crostwick. Managed to turn round and go out to Buxton, Scottow, Smallburgh. Even turning right out the airport is a nightmare at the moment because of roadworks