Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

A day in the marina for me. Graham took Harry back to MK this morning and is now on his way back with Alec. I had a moderately long walk this morning, first along Lower Street where I popped into the Post Office to buy a card and small present for my cousin's birthday and a padded envelope to send them in. 

The lady in the shop part was very knowledgeable about Arthur Ransome and generally things local. The have a collection of second hand books about Ransome. I also noticed a flyer which was advertising a new cafe that has opened up in St Catherine's church, Ludham. That might be worth checking out. 

After posting my parcel I made my way up the hill toward Upper Street and found a footpath between the houses on the junction of the Neatishead road which led over a field to a lane. I turned left and then right to join Long Lane that runs behind Bewilderwood. Just beyond the rear entrance to Bewilderwood there was a permissive footpath that runs parallel with the lane. It rejoins the lane further along and shortly after I was able to take a path back to the main road that ran along the eastern boundary of Bewilderwood.

After that I just made my way back to the marina. I'm not sure how far I walked but was out about two and a half hours. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

After posting my parcel I made my way up the hill toward Upper Street and found a footpath between the houses on the junction of the Neatishead road which led over a field to a lane.

That wasn't Upper Street but simply Neatishead Road - had me confused for a moment or two.  When you are at your moorings you need to turn right out of Ferry View Estate to walk to Upper Street (and Horning Church) but there are plenty of walking opportunities in that direction as well

Liz

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LizG said:

That wasn't Upper Street but simply Neatishead Road

To be fair to Helen, the OS map does say Upper Street where BiWilderwood is.

I know Upper Street as the bit of road where the houses are near where Church Road /School Road come out onto the main A1062. The map confusingly also marks that as Upper Street. 

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

led over a field to a lane. I turned left

I often go over that field but have only ever turned right. So thanks for that Helen, I’ll be trying that out. 
If you had turned right instead of left, you’d have come across Burnt Fen alpacas at the little crossroads. They do wierd things like ‘have a cream tea with the alpacas’, but also a rather interesting looking weaving day, in a yurt I think, using their wool. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kpnut said:

To be fair to Helen, the OS map does say Upper Street where BiWilderwood is.

I know Upper Street as the bit of road where the houses are near where Church Road /School Road come out onto the main A1062. The map confusingly also marks that as Upper Street. 

It is confusing but that is Hoveton Upper Street not Horning Upper Street :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

We've swapped sons. Alec has now joined us.

IMG_20230107_083936388.thumb.jpg.b530f5801cda53dc9c7f43cc00f41774.jpg

On our way up the Ant. It's rather windy this morning and there was only 7 1/4 foot on the advance marker for Ludham Bridge, so we took both roof and screen down. Luckily it's a dry morning and the sun has now come out. 

Pipedreams passed us whilst we were moored at How Hill for a dog run. No doubt on the way to Ranworth.

IMG_20230107_100140050.thumb.jpg.cdec6cf468704d0c7fadb820f0d6414c.jpg

IMG_20230107_101738733_HDR.thumb.jpg.4ba46d824eb1f9e3fe69044f4a935ca8.jpg

• Like 7

After How Hill we made our way to Wayford Bridge. Graham stayed on the boat whilst Alec and I walked the short distance to AG Meale & Sons Farm Shop and Vera's Coffee Shop. Very impressed with both. We were lucky to get a table in the coffee shop as we arrived after 11.30 and most of the tables had been reserved for lunchtime. Clearly a popular place. 

We are now tucked up in Neatishead again, with Silver Cloud behind us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Vera’s is indeed very popular. We’ve stopped in there a few times now and there’s always tables reserved. I think they have probably got regular locals. 

Enjoy Neatishead. It’s definitely a blustery grey day. 

I find "Blustery" on a boat a bit of a challenge. Concentrates the mind. Potter, Ludham Bridge, Reedham, come to mind.

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

AG Meale & Sons Farm Shop and Vera's Coffee Shop

You recommended it to me a while ago Jean and I still haven’t been in. When in the car I’m always either on my way to or from the boat. So Helen’s idea of mooring at Wayford Bridge would make a trip of it. 
What was the bridge height board saying Helen?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kpnut said:

You recommended it to me a while ago Jean and I still haven’t been in. When in the car I’m always either on my way to or from the boat. So Helen’s idea of mooring at Wayford Bridge would make a trip of it. 

The Bridge height is never ever important if you can get under it. It is when you have to get back under to get home which is so very critical.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Enjoy Neatishead. It’s definitely a blustery grey day.

Yes, that's what was behind the reason to make for Neatishead. It had been very choppy on our home mooring overnight and we hadn't had the best sleep. (It didn't help that we had a gap beside us.)

When I woke this morning the first thing I did was to check the weather forecast. Seeing the wind would be increasing by mid-morning we decided to get on our way as soon as possible, so as to get under Ludham Bridge before it got too strong. 

57 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I find "Blustery" on a boat a bit of a challenge. Concentrates the mind. Potter, Ludham Bridge, Reedham, come to mind.

Indeed, and Acle! Last year we stopped at Stokesby BA moorings when there was a strong south-westerly. Bow slap was something chronic!

I wouldn't recommend Hardley Mill in a strong easterly either!

55 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Just over 6'4', so no chance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Just over 6'4', so no chance!

Thanks. I didn’t expect you to be able to go through as it’s low at the best of times.
But I’m trying to learn how to read the weather in relation to bridge clearance etc. so all info appreciated. 

Carry on enjoying your holiday. 

• Thanks 1

Hi. I am on Silver Cloud. Solo this week. The wind is certainly a challenge. If you hadn't have left the boatyard this morning I would still be there. Trying to leave the mooring I couldn't turn into the wind as Thunder was to my port side (I was trying to leave before he came back, but wasn't ready) and as soon as I ventured out the wind started pushing me sideways. Luckily I could take advantage of the space left by yourselves and Evening Shadow and managed to get out unscathed.

I think it will be a trying week for me so I will have to choose my moorings carefully. This is only my second week on Silver Cloud.

On the plus side I did spot an Otter in front of me as I turned into the Ant this morning.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, sandiman said:

Hi. I am on Silver Cloud. Solo this week. The wind is certainly a challenge. If you hadn't have left the boatyard this morning I would still be there.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you managed to get out and find shelter at Neatishead as we have done.

Please say hello in the morning!

Hopefully the wind won't be so strong for the rest of the week (cross fingers). And hopefully you'll be able to find moorings where the wind helps you to moor up, and not blow you off. We moored up earlier at Gay's Staithe for water and even there the wind was tending to blow us off the mooring...I should have ignored Graham reminding me that the water intake was on the port side and moored up the other side.

14 hours ago, sandiman said:

Hi. I am on Silver Cloud. Solo this week

Sorry we didn't meet this morning, I'm never sure of the etiquette of tapping on someone's window, especially if the curtains are partly drawn.

We are currently at St Benet's. I'm preparing brunch whilst everyone else is out for a walk. 

IMG_20230108_115725153_HDR.thumb.jpg.1cc3d33023e59d49ffcf10a9f5ba2111.jpg

• Like 4

Afternoon Sandiman I'm amazed of you doing Solo Boating is Thunder Middle Steering and being mindfull of Mooring up it's nice to be able to pick and choose your mooring with east at this time while it's quiet and pleasant to be on the Brods you have a pleasant time Mr. Solo and take care.