Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

I've never been to Boulters but I've seen their narrow entrance many times on Russell's and Dave's videos, usually with moored boats there making it even harder. It must be tricky even in good conditions. If it was me I'd be tempted to go to Southgate's instead but I don't doubt their fuel prices are higher.

4 hours ago, LizG said:

The houseboat lives there with permission of the parish council. I think it's name is Heather and it very old (I think I'm correct but happy to be corrected)

Heather was hired out by Turners at their boatyard in Horning for many years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I've never been to Boulters but I've seen their narrow entrance many times on Russell's and Dave's videos, usually with moored boats there making it even harder. It must be tricky even in good conditions. If it was me I'd be tempted to go to Southgate's instead but I don't doubt their fuel prices are higher.

It is tricky, but it's easier if you turn around further up the dyke before trying to reverse in. I didn't do that the first time we visited and ended up reversing into an acute angle. I got in there without a problem, but it was more stressful.

Their fuel is always a competitive price and they do a loyalty card for the pump outs, we got one free this time, so good value. They were also very helpful to us last week in sourcing a replacement water filter unit and the bits and pieces that Graham needed to install it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

If it was me I'd be tempted to go to Southgate's instead but I don't doubt their fuel prices are higher

Talking about Southgates. I wonder if they have a winter maintenance contract with Ferry Marina? When we passed last week Bronze Emblem was moored there. Today there was another Ferry Marina boat moored there and another couple of 'Emblems' moored in the dyke on the opposite side of the river.

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Talking about Southgates. I wonder if they have a winter maintenance contract with Ferry Marina? When we passed last week Bronze Emblem was moored there. Today there was another Ferry Marina boat moored there and another couple of 'Emblems' moored in the dyke on the opposite side of the river.

Someone more knowledgeable will confirm, I’m sure, but when I was making enquiries about alternative mooring arrangements for MS last year, prior to securing our space at HPC, Ferry did offer us a berth at Southgate’s.  However, it was on the opposite side of the river.  I’m guessing that they’re either owned by the same people or there is some other business connection.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

They are both owned by the Cator family along with Horning Village Marina and the moorings opposite.

Fred

Southgates would still have our fuel business had they kept the 24hr mooring opposite The Ferry in as it was

It seems like a lot is owned between there and Wroxham by the same family 

Boulter marine are very generous in the spirit of business offering reasonable prices and good advice. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Broads01 said:

As long as you can get near enough to the entrance the lads will pull you in on the ropes, they have done it many times for us as normally we cannot turn round in the basin.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Helen, if you haven't already decided where to watch the Coronation, Thurne dyke by the mill would be my choice for tv or 4g reception......and as it is a change over day, there should be plenty of space early on.......

Wherever you choose, have a good one!

We have found that by putting the aerial on the roof that we get a good signal here on our home mooring (thanks for the tip Mouldy), so we may well stay put here tomorrow morning. 

By the time we'd do e our food shop on both Lidl and Thorpe Sainsbury's, it was well after 5 by the time we got to the boat, so we stayed in the marina this evening.

Eldest son phoned a few minutes ago to say he's been given leave next week, so we might well have additional crew part way through our holiday. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed that coronation very much. Pomp and circumstance at its best. The very best bit though was when the troops massed in the Buck House garden afterwards all doffed their caps pretty much in unison and gave the loudest hip hip hooray ever.(well it seemed so). 

• Like 2

My future nephew-in-law (if there is such a thing) was playing French horn with the RAF band. But the coverage didn’t show the RAF musicians at all, (the non musicians did get seen briefly). The RAF uniform just isn’t showy enough!

You’re right, the massed troops in the garden were very impressive.