Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Aww what a cracking dog! Definitly got German Shepherd in him/her! (We currently have our 4th GSD since leaving Germany back in 1992!). Hope you can trace the owners or if not it will be placed in kennels until a home can be found for it or otherwise. Hopefully it is chipped.

Chris

Well...what a day!

So much for our plans of going to Rockland St Mary this afternoon. We have ended up on the Commissioners Cut instead and a Broadland Animal Rescue chap has just picked up our stowaway.

Earlier, as we were pootling downriver we can across a couple of kayakers just on the bend after Postwick Viaduct.  Seeing Seren, they asked if we had a dog lead. They had been watching the dog on the bank for about an hour. Dog would stop and howl plaintively ever now and again. 

Graham passed over a lead and some dog treats, the kayaker (Matt) secured the dog and tried to get up the bank with him. This proved impossible, and the dog kept trying to pull back towards the river every time a boat went past. 

Meanwhile I was desperately trying to get hold of Broads Beat (answerphone) then 101. Eventually ending up in a three way conversation between me, Norfolk constabulary and them on another line with Broads Beat. The outcome was them giving us the number for Broads Animal Rescue. I phoned them and left message.

Whilst waiting for a call back we thought the best thing would be to try to get the dog on board...though this did seem a bit dicey. We passed over Seren's buoyancy aid. Surprisingly, our stray dog consented to sit in one kayak and was towed over to the boat. He was very wanting to get on board, and helped by scrambling up, which was lucky as I don't think Graham would have been able to lift him.

Once we were moored up in the Cut and kayakers Matt and his wife had joined us, I phoned the Animal Rescue again and gave them our WhatThreeWords location, as well as details of the roads leading to the Cut. 

Our stray was collected just before six this evening. For better or worse, we told the chap that collected him that we might be interested in adoption if his owner isn't traced. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

No collar or ID ?

A friend for Seren to take home....

No collar. Too early to know if he's microchipped. He seemed a very good natured dog.

Maybe. Seren and he seemed to tolerate each other. 

The kayakers and us made a great team. There's no way we could have rescued the dog by ourselves on Water Rail without a dinghy, and neither could they without our help. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kpnut said:

What a tale and I hope a happy outcome. Not all dogs would want to be hauled around on a river and into a kayak or a boat. I wonder if he’s used to these things already? 
Good on Seren for taking it in her stride too. 

I wish I'd managed to get a photo of him sitting in the kayak. He looked quite happy at that moment and sat very still and upright. 

• Like 1

Couldn't post again yesterday afternoon and evening as we moored at Somerlayton again (no signal).

This morning we are on our way to Beccles to get some fuel and pump out and we'll be returning Water Rail to Oulton Broad this afternoon and then going home. 

It's rather gloomy this morning. Damp and drizzly. Not ideal cruising weather. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We are due back on Moonlight Shadow tomorrow.

I don’t know what’s got into me. Though I did review our packing list, I haven’t made any other lists at all. No ‘what to cook’ list, no food shop list, no cruising plans. On the other hand I feel very relaxed about it. We are staying on the northern broads anyway, so can always return to our home mooring and pop in the car to Roy’s if we need anything.

Plans for the boys joining us have slightly changed too. Harry is with us for the first week, as he’s got leave from work, but Alec has decided to stay home the first week as he wants to spend the New Year with his friends. So we’ll probably end up doing a trip back to MK half way through the fortnight to drop Harry off and pick up Alec.

It will be Pozzick’s first time on MS. Hope he will be happy on the boat and that returning to the Broads doesn’t trigger any anxiety! 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

I hadn’t realised you have two weeks. Wonderful. Hopefully we’ll see each other somewhere, sometime. 
Fingers crossed for Pozzick, although I’m sure he’ll be cool about it like everything else put in front of him if seems. 
Enjoy the journey, hopefully quiet and with some ability to see out of the windows!

• Love 1

Slightly dodgy start to our fortnight. We didn’t arrive until around 4pm, and by the time we’d unloaded stuff from the car and top box it was getting dark…and we still had the trailer to unload. I wanted to wash my hands so turned the water pump. We could hear a gushing noise, and initially thought it was the en suite shower. By the time we figured out where it was coming from there was about an inch of water on the floor of the under sink cupboard. The water filter unit had completely sheared off, so it looks like we won’t have any running water until at least Tuesday.

On the other hand, both dogs look content to be on board.

480CF054-D7C4-42C9-9AF9-1AC509DC72F7.thumb.jpeg.51043b1edccd8b1cb356a4e64b55a6ae.jpeg

C6C71C54-430F-46A8-9D85-D9B5C7C0681A.thumb.jpeg.b7ce0cc59c303430660ff92ede17457f.jpeg

New TV will have to wait for the morning. We didn’t have our dinner until about 5 minutes go (it’s now after 9pm). What I didn’t add to the previous post was that we didn’t go to do our food shop until we had unloaded everything, so it was after 7 by the time we got back from doing that.

We are all tired out!