Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

Enjoyed that coronation very much. Pomp and circumstance at its best. The very best bit though was when the troops that massed in the Buck House garden all doffed their caps pretty much in unison and gave the loudest hip hip hooray.

Sorry the RAF band wasn't featured Kate. There was a comment in the BBC coverage about how smartly the RAF were marching. My paternal grandad worked for the RAF from the late 30s to the 1950s, mostly supporting aerial photography.

I'm always interested in the Royal Marines too, as my mother's paternal grandad was a colour sergeant with the Royal Marines. He didn't do badly for a Somerset lad that 'ran away to sea' when his Dad remarried. 

• Like 2

I did hear that comment too Helen. 

I’ve just watched the programme that Lulu put me on to, Coronation Tailors. It was on BBC2 a few days ago. Totally fascinating, how the troops are made. We need more industry like that in this country!

Without wishing to offend any ex-service personnel on the forum, I do think on the music side that the RAF band and the Royal Marines band are by far the best. But also how on earth do the cavalry musicians play their instruments while steering a horse with their knees (presumably) and being jiggled up and down with an instrument attached to their face -sheer skill!!!!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kpnut said:

how on earth do the cavalry musicians play their instruments while steering a horse with their knees (presumably) and being jiggled up and down with an instrument attached to their face -sheer skill!!!!!

I noticed on the drum horses at the front, the musicians had the reins around their lower legs.

• Like 2

Having played a trombone in band that had march downhill from a church to the town cenotaph down a rather potholey road, my admiration for all the bands has no bounds. I should add, I was in the B (training) band not the proper 'A' band. Can't imagine trying to play all the right notes (and play them well) and control a horse. 

• Like 2

Harry has confirmed he's managed to get leave from next Saturday, so he'll be with us for our second week. My finely tuned plans for going down south on Tuesday and staying down south for a week have gone out of the window.

I suggested to Harry that we will do north one week and south the other, and asked what's his preference. Answer...south. So that's us pootling around up north this week. I had been hoping to get up to Coltishall and Dilham, but that seems unwise given the amount of rain that has been hammering on the roof most of this evening. We might get under bridges, but would we get back?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Harry has confirmed he's managed to get leave from next Saturday, so he'll be with us for our second week. My finely tuned plans for going down south on Tuesday and staying down south for a week have gone out of the window.

Cant Harry make his way south then you could pick him up at The White Heron visitor moorings.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Cant Harry make his way south then you could pick him up at The White Heron visitor moorings.

He could but he would also have to make his own way home. On Friday Graham did on miracle and managed to somehow squeeze all we needed for this holiday into the car and roof box. When he picks up Harry he'll have to bring the trailer back with him, otherwise we'll have no hope of getting everyone and everything home. 

Well, we almost made it as far as Dilham. We probably would have done if we hadn't moored up at Wayford bridge to visit the farm shop. Whilst we were there two boats went upriver and one down. Graham overheard the latter call out to a guy in an official looking rib (Broads Beat/Ranger?) making a formal complaint about antisocial behaviour from another boat that had been moored at Dilham, so maybe it's just as well that we didn't make it.

We got under the bridge anyway (7  1/4 foot clearance) but halfway up to Dilham we met the guy in the rib who advised us that there were already three large boats either there or on their way. So we turned around.

Currently nicely ensconced on the end mooring in Paddy's Lane. That's our cruising done for the day. 

• Like 4

Phew...it's scorching here in Paddy's Lane. Had to resort to the putting the canopy back up and putting the front screen down/prop rear screen open like we had to do during last summer's hottest days. On board thermometer is reading about 33 degrees C in the sun and 28 in the shade. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’ve been rafting up on Malthouse Broad and then we decided to gate crash the Horning boat Parade thingy.  It’s blooming hot!

I’ll be heading back up the Ant tomorrow so hopefully give you a wave!

Yes, do Neil. Actually we are currently moored on the first wild mooring below Irstead.

Paddy's Lane turned not so peaceful as what looked like maybe a stag party on one of the largest tallest cruisers turned up just before 6 and managed to wild moor some way down the dyke behind us. As they were playing music very loudly we decided to leave. At worst we could go back to Horning. All the wild mooring near the entrance to Barton Broad were free too.

It's peaceful again and we've just heard our first Bittern. Wonderful!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

As they were playing music very loudly we decided to leave. At worst we could go back to Horning. All the wild mooring near the entrance to Barton Broad were free too.

It's peaceful again and we've just heard our first Bittern. Wonderful!

I think it's something about Bank Holiday weekends, I think I'd have done the same as you. So did you finish up on a wild mooring?

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I think it's something about Bank Holiday weekends, I think I'd have done the same as you. So did you finish up on a wild mooring?

Yes, we did. It all worked out rather well. If we had come straight to this wild mooring we wouldn't have had much of the afternoon sun, as it's so shady, but we did get the evening sun and peace and quiet.

That bittern only ceased calling at dawn. Didn't keep me awake, but I did hear him (?) periodically through the night.

• Like 3

On 06/05/2023 at 18:18, YnysMon said:

Enjoyed that coronation very much. Pomp and circumstance at its best. The very best bit though was when the troops that massed in the Buck House garden all doffed their caps pretty much in unison and gave the loudest hip hip hooray.

Sorry the RAF band wasn't featured Kate. There was a comment in the BBC coverage about how smartly the RAF were marching. My paternal grandad worked for the RAF from the late 30s to the 1950s, mostly supporting aerial photography.

I'm always interested in the Royal Marines too, as my mother's paternal grandad was a colour sergeant with the Royal Marines. He didn't do badly for a Somerset lad that 'ran away to sea' when his Dad remarried. 

Royal Marines are ALWAYS the best! I know that from experience, I was one too😁😁

• Like 1

Drat and double drat! Went all the way up to Wroxham this morning only to find the bridge pilot no longer takes private boats through. I declined to take MS though myself even though he said I'd got plenty of clearance. It's all very well going through, it's the getting back that's dodgy (that bend).

Just passed Horning on of way back down river, heading to who knows where...we don't anyway!

Just picked up a passenger too. 

IMG_20230508_115200079_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Drat and double drat! Went all the way up to Wroxham this morning only to find the bridge pilot no longer takes private boats through. I declined to take MS though myself even though he said I'd got plenty of clearance. It's all very well going through, it's the getting back that's dodgy (that bend).

Argghhhh! We were going to go to Coltishall next week for the first time. Graham has never been there. Absolutely gutted the pilot doesnt take private boats through anymore. I dont think we have the nerve to try it ourselves for the first time. We needed that guidance at least once.