Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I've heard a number of chemicals suggested as being ideal for that purpose. The environmentalists won't be happy if I list them here, though.

It's not that bad. The boat was takeout of the water in February and her bottom cleaned. It's just that, as a syndicate we like to keep her looking as good as possible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

What's happened to the Horsefen Lane bakery? I hope it hasn't closed down. 

The couple were away for the winter. I’m fairly sure they are still trading but not sure on their opening hours. 

12 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

What's happened to the Horsefen Lane bakery? I hope it hasn't closed down. 

Still open, but didn’t get a great hygiene rating from the council, apparently.  Read about it on a FB Food on The Broads page.

It has, I've just been there.:default_biggrin:

Should have worn my walking boots though. :default_blink:

It will be more impressive in about a week or a fortnight's time, but there were some azaleas blooming, plus a few of the large rhododendrons. 

IMG_20230510_095155333.jpg

IMG_20230510_095352040_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230510_095417538_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

This  time of the year is great for Rhodedendrons and Azaleas. When we lived in North  London we always used to make a point of going to Kenwood,  Hampstead,  on a Sunday afternoon where there was a spectacular show  of both these shrubs and where they used to serve  a delicious  candlelit afternoon  tea accompanied by a pianist. 

Carole

• Like 2

That's us done cruising for the day (1pm) moored at the same spot in Paddy's Lane as a couple of days ago. Cross fingers no party boats/ stag doos turn up this evening!

By the way, the water point at the Barton Turf Staithe has a really good wide-bore hose. Costs £2. There are also rubbish bins and a bottle bank. I had to ask a chappie who was cleaning the Parish Staithe sign for help, as he was wearing wellies and I just had sandals, as the bottle bank was surrounded by a large puddle on one side and deep mud the other. It did rain a lot yesterday!

• Like 3

Some passing 'traffic' to keep Seren interested.

IMG_20230510_131612792_HDR.thumb.jpg.9b18d6bbab29f50b7b19598c0c54a365.jpg

As we passed the channel on the western side of 'The Heater' (the island that's between the two channels that lead to Barton Turf) we had to squeeze past a dredger and a couple of barges. Luckily they were on their lunch break when we passed, but have obviously started work again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

but there were some azaleas blooming,

That yellow azalea is Azalea luteum and has the most wonderful scent. It travels a very long way.

The garden is on my list for my next trip.

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

That yellow azalea is Azalea luteum and has the most wonderful scent. It travels a very long way.

The garden is on my list for my next trip.

Ah, so that's what smelled so wonderful 😊.

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It has, I've just been there.:default_biggrin:

Should have worn my walking boots though. :default_blink:

It will be more impressive in about a week or a fortnight's time, but there were some azaleas blooming, plus a few of the large rhododendrons. 

IMG_20230510_095155333.jpg

IMG_20230510_095352040_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230510_095417538_HDR.jpg

They look amazing.... can you tell me how to get to the Secret Garden from the moorings at How Hill?

Thank you in advance!

27 minutes ago, 81011 said:

They look amazing.... can you tell me how to get to the Secret Garden from the moorings at How Hill?

Thank you in advance!

There's a gravel lane that leads up the hill from the area where the wherry is moored. Just follow that until you get to the back of How Hill House. The gardens are signposted from there. (Yes, very secret...LOL.)

7 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Can you take dogs into the secret garden?

I believe so, provided they are kept on a lead. To be honest I didn't pay attention on this visit, but I'm sure I read signs indicating that dogs are allowed on previous visits.

By the way, the bluebells in the wood above the gardens are wonderful too. 

• Like 2

A day stuck in the marina today. Theoretically, I could go cruising, but I'm not confident enough to solo helm Moonlight Shadow.

After I take a quick trip to Ludham butcher's Graham will be on his way back home to pick up Harry.

Hopefully, if the rain holds off, I'll be able to take a walk. 

Good morning, Lulu I'm very sorry to know you got soaked while mooring up at How Hill but down in Essex it's bone Dry yet I'm only One Hundred Thirty Miles away from where you are I do hope the weather improves for you during day much dryer I hope for you  to explore that lovely How Hill grounds 

• Like 1