Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

2 hours ago, NeilB said:

I’d also like a sunrise cruise or 2, just waiting for the clocks to change……. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Nooo! I'm loving the long days.

Coo! Just think...by the time the clocks change I'll be retired!

Alec has just returned from a paddle board session. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

We think you all must have time for a hundred lengths each :default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Nah, we are too lazy. Besides it's absolutely rammed with excited kids having a wonderful time. Adults trying to do lengths would just be annoying to everyone else. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Moored at Rockland St Mary, having had a fairly early start from Worlingham. 

Signal isn't brilliant here so we popped into the pub for a lunchtime drink and some WiFi. Shame I forgot to post whilst we were there!

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Moored at Rockland St Mary, having had a fairly early start from Worlingham. 

Signal isn't brilliant here so we popped into the pub for a lunchtime drink and some WiFi. Shame I forgot to post whilst we were there!

If only I’d known.  Currently at Norfolk Lady doing some more polishing and tidying!  😁

• Sad 1

Today has been busy so far. Rockland to Commissioners Cut, a walk with the dogs through Thorpe Marshes, then to Norwich. Now leaving Norwich. Where we end up depends on how long it takes us to get to Polkey's Mill or Berney Arms. There's an early evening slack at Yarmouth. You never know...we might do the crossing this evening. 

• Like 3

We are bonkers. Yes, we did cross Breydon, and at an ideal time. It is possible to leave Norwich shortly before high tide and get to Gt Yarmouth about half an hour after slack and observe speed limits on the way. Managed to moor up at the mouth of Upton Dyke bang on the time for sunset too, and just as the rain stopped. How lucky was that!

It's been a long day though!

• Like 9

That's a very long day, Helen but when you can share the helming, why not?

I've never moored at the mouth of Upton Dyke, partly because I'm always nervous of what's permitted mooring and what's private. Is it clear once you arrive there?

• Like 1

Hi yes you all had a long day Cruising as for Serene doing her bit on the Look Out while Pozzic having a Doze upon his night watch each night as to dozing in a funny position so long Pozzic does not fall off and well time upon mooring upon keeping Dry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I've never moored at the mouth of Upton Dyke, partly because I'm always nervous of what's permitted mooring and what's private. Is it clear once you arrive there?

We moored there last July, having crossed Breydon earlier, but we arrived well before sunset and had a very pleasant late afternoon and evening before retiring.  The photos show NL moored.

We were joined for a while by one of Martham’s fleet, but they didn’t stay overnight.  The only issue may be the quay heading, which when we were last there was in poor condition.  You had to be a little selective as to where to moor.  There are a couple of angling platforms there that should not be blocked, but they are nearer the main river.

IMG_7911.thumb.jpeg.959d3749e05f4008c7a88779f61250ef.jpeg

Photo_6553621_DJI_21_jpg_5588169_0_202271019346_photo_original.thumb.jpg.5fe20eece8912e1c471864ccf8664aa7.jpg

Weve been down to the public moorings at the end of Upton Dyke in Moonlight Shadow and Norfolk Lady.  Turning MS down there was easy, with the bow thruster, but we turned NL on the ropes (no bow thruster).

IMG_8378.thumb.jpeg.050f1a40a94ce8bb21bb32042e0872e3.jpeg

• Like 3

Upton wasn't that great last night as the forecast 'moderate' breeze sounded more like an almost gale at three in the morning with rain lashing down. At least the wind was pushing us off the mooring, though our bow rope was creaking something chronic. Should have used springs at the bow, not just the aft. 

We had a short cruise to Neatishesd this morning. I'm only posting as we are on The White Horse at present. My phone has zero signal on the Staithe. 

• Like 3

Another complete change of plan. Shortly before 4pm we decided we'd like to do something different tomorrow, so we left Neatishead and have just arrived back at Horning Pleasurecraft. 

Springer's Retreat has been spotted! We just passed Kate's family moored at Cockshoot Dyke and waved. :default_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Springer's Retreat has been spotted! We just passed Kate's family moored at Cockshoot Dyke and waved. :default_biggrin:

That’s nice Helen, thanks. I’m leaving them alone for their hols so had no idea where they’d got to. I did have a couple of nice photos from Fleet Dyke. 
And I’ve just texted Catherine about the report of a salt surge on the Bure, so she can report any distressed fish she sees to her colleagues (she works for the EA, in another capacity). 0800 807 060 if anyone needs the number. 

Are the tides high? As Wroxham bridge doesn’t seem to have as much clearance as of late. 

You had a long old journey yesterday. I’ve enjoyed reading about your trip. 

4 hours ago, kpnut said:

And I’ve just texted Catherine about the report of a salt surge on the Bure, so she can report any distressed fish she sees to her colleagues (she works for the EA, in another capacity). 0800 807 060 if anyone needs the number. 

Are the tides high? As Wroxham bridge doesn’t seem to have as much clearance as of late. 

I think the tides are high. Usually after coming through Great Yarmouth and starting up the Bure there are mud banks visible beyond the posts. We couldn’t see the mud banks yesterday, and when we moored at Upton the river wasn’t much lower than the quay heading, which was concerning. This morning there was barely 8’ under Ludham Bridge shortly after low tide. However, when we came back downriver this afternoon about an hour after high tide there was about the same clearance. I was expecting there to be less.

In short…seems high, but as usual I’m confused! 

• Thanks 1

I think the tides are high, it is springs but they seem higher than normal. I ‘borrowed’ this from fb, taken yesterday I believe at Cantley -

image.thumb.jpeg.2231bbb35e660e8c5bdefad54acfac8d.jpeg
Cantley can overtop at the best of times but I think this is ott 🙄. I guess the recent heavy rain has had an effect. 
(I notice the grass has been cut…..)

• Thanks 1

I’m hoping wroxham bridge is do-able next Thursday as I’m hoping to meet someone off the train/bus at either Hoveton or Coltishall on Friday 14th. So I’m keeping a bit of an eye out and have other train/bus routes up my sleeve if needs be eg Acle, Salhouse, Womack etc.

If it’s springs at the moment, at least they should be on the way down again in a week’s time. 

12 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I’m hoping wroxham bridge is do-able next Thursday as I’m hoping to meet someone off the train/bus at either Hoveton or Coltishall on Friday 14th. So I’m keeping a bit of an eye out and have other train/bus routes up my sleeve if needs be eg Acle, Salhouse, Womack etc.

If it’s springs at the moment, at least they should be on the way down again in a week’s time. 

Springs were yesterday, I believe.  We’ll be heading north on Saturday, so we’re also hopeful that the levels go down to allow us under Ludham Bridge.  I know the markers aren’t accurate, but we need 8’3” clearance to pass.

With a fair few of Richos fleet now having a high airdraft, I wonder how many of them could be prevented from getting under the bridge over the next few days.

45 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Springs give the greatest height under the Bridge at low water, not neaps

43 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Springs give the greatest height under the Bridge at low water, not neaps

Not sure this is true. Certainly at the coast it is. But, inland low water is a combination of how high high tide has been plus how much water can flow down river before low water. For a neap you are starting lower so for the same volume of water escaping you get lower levels. For a spring I don't think there is enough time for enough water to escape to benefit from the low water springs give you on the coast.

• Confused 1