Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

We left Ranworth just after dawn and returned to our home mooring. After a late breakfast we drove into Norwich. The poor dogs got left in the car, but it's the first time Graham has been able to have a look around Norwich with us. We had a lovely lunch in the Saporita Italian restaurant, a family owned Italian, rather than a chain. Very reasonably priced too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We left Ranworth just after dawn and returned to our home mooring. After a late breakfast we drove into Norwich. The poor dogs got left in the car, but it's the first time Graham has been able to have a look around Norwich with us. We had a lovely lunch in the Saporita Italian restaurant, a family owned Italian, rather than a chain. Very reasonably priced too.

I don't like leaving Suzie in the car but it's a necessity sometimes. When I'm on my own with her and I need food shopping, there's not much else I can do. As long as you're mindful of the temperature and leave them some air, I don't think it's an issue. It keeps the car safe too!

31 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

but it's a necessity sometimes. When

Yes, I agree. I hear of thefts of dogs from cars/work vans etc but sometimes it just can’t be avoided. 
I do choose my parking spot carefully though. As well as taking the direction for the shade into account, (and a cooling mat if necessary), I park the boot rammed up against a fence or hedge or wall, as if someone broke in, they’d then have to lift the dead weight of the dog in the crate over the back seat to get him out. The crate door can’t be opened if the boot’s shut and it’s also padlocked. 
Finlay himself is more than happy to be left in there, it’s his totally blissful place!

I have a friend who’s made a steel bar that clips onto the boot lid catch, both the boot bit and the car bit, so they can have the boot (hatch) open a notch to get more air in. 

• Like 3

It would be a brave thief that tried taking on both Pozzie and Seren, I'm convinced they would stand up for each other. Especially Pozzie. If Seren gets ahead of a walk he wants to catch up. She is his big sister, even if she's physically smaller. 

Anyways, if we do need to leave them in a car in a town or city a multi storey is our favoured option. We went to the Rose Lane car park, just behind the Premier Inn that overlooks the river. Anything over 3 hours is £7.50 for the day, which for a city centre isn't that bad. A bit cheaper than some of the other car parks and I noticed that there's an office on the ground floor with staff that are monitoring the car park on CCTV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were very lazy this morning and didn’t budge.

I made us a brunch for lunch and then we set out in the car with the dogs to Caister on Sea where we’re had a good long walk. After that we popped to the Caister Lidl and then stopped off at Latham’s on our way back to Horning. I had measured our draining board, as the current draining rack is too large. Latham’s only had three types, which were also too large, so I shall have to keep an eye out. If I don’t see any options anywhere else I might take a trip to Brundall. Brundall DIY is a brilliant local store which is very well stocked. A bit like an Aladdin’s cave.

We are now all set for another quiet evening with dinner on board. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Another car day today. We went to Holt.

Don't go to Holt on a Sunday as almost everything is shut. It looks like a delightful town though with an excellent selection of independent shops.

As we drove into town looking for somewhere to park, we got directed the wrong way as someone had twizzled around the ‘P’ sign that should have pointed up the Main Street. Instead we ended up going down the hill that leads out of the town to the north. This turned out well though, as at the bottom of the hill there was a lay-by where you could park to visit the Spout Hills park, so we were able to take the dogs out for a good walk before we put them back in the car and walked back up the hill to the town. Free parking! 

We found a good bistro for lunch. It was called The Snug. I had Persian spiced chicken with couscous and side salad. Very nice. 

• Like 4

We actually cruised somewhere today. Not very far though as we decided to have Graham's birthday lunch at the Swan Inn. We moored up on the Staithe behind Chameleon and booked a table for noon. We had a voucher for 50% off mains courtesy of some other members of our syndicate. 

After lunch Harry and I went to have a look around the Post Office and Tidings. Then Harry and I took the dogs up to the playing fields up by the Community Centre to have a run whilst Graham looked in the shops. It's good that the children's playground is fenced off to keep dogs out. I couldn't see any dedicated doggy doo bins, but I hoped we were okay putting the poo bags in the one of the two litter bins that they had.

Having intended staying overnight on the Staithe we had a change of plan and went back to our home mooring again. 

• Like 1

For members of other syndicates ...

Evening Shadow is now back on her home mooring, having been in the shed when we arrived. 

Silver Cloud is has been shifted to the boat lift, but not lifted out of the water as yet. 

• Thanks 1

Yay! We got under Ludham Bridge! We had to take our canopy and screen down as there was just over 7 1/4 foot on the boards, but as it's a lovely morning that wasn't a hardship.

We caught a beautiful sunrise as we were turning up the Ant too. 

PXL_20240109_080925201.thumb.jpg.7e2ed283306e6838fbeecfbc17244db7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 4

Another pre-dawn start this morning from Neatishead, to be sure of getting under the Bridge before a late morning high tide. 

We filled with water at Gaye's Staithe.

PXL_20240110_080033133.thumb.jpg.1e9c1787616d731abf3344914eec618d.jpg

It's another beautiful sunny day.

Now moored up at Stokesby. Shame the pub here is also closed. It won't reopen until 3rd Feb according to their Facebook page. 

• Like 3

Thanks, that's a handy tip. Might have to wait for our next trip though. 

We had a delightful circular walk this afternoon. We followed the river bank upstream from Stokesby to where is meets the watercourse called Muck Fleet. The majority of the walk was along Muck Fleet until it met a footpath leading back towards Stokesby. I'm not sure how far we walked, but we've been out all afternoon. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Assuming you crossed the Stokesby to Acle Road (which I guess you did) looks a good walk, maybe 5 miles at a guess. Shame the pub is shut!! :default_icon_e_surprised:

DSC_2000.JPG

Yes that's it. Followed the green squiggly footpath northward and then back to the village. I'm glad we didn't do the walk the other way around as some of the public footpath signage in Norfolk is a bit lacking. 

• Like 1

I agree about the signposting! Nice walk though. Specially the riverbank bit, past that lovely little mill cottage. 

I thought you might have been round at Neatishead yesterday as you weren’t on Irstead. The boat nearly steered itself in your direction, but my head said to go to Sutton, fill with fuel and get back to Stalham to have a nosey at the heater and start packing the boat up for her lift out. 
Hod you enjoyed the beautiful day today, sounds a good day for that walk as the windchill was a bit less than the last couple of days. 

• Like 2

Re: washing up drainer. 
Catherine got this one for the boat. It’s superb, just right for all the plates, a pan etc and enough room left on the drainer itself for mugs, cutlery etc. I’ve cut a piece of that non-slip holey rubber to fit the drainer so nothing slips or rattles. 
I don’t think Catherine got it from Amazon and this isn’t the exact one, but it’s something like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/simplywire-Drainer-Kitchen-Cupboard-Organiser/dp/B084CT49ZN/ref=asc_df_B084CT49ZN/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=427902915300&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6648927202801188920&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046261&hvtargid=pla-884930502698&psc=1&mcid=7283b46bd08139e4975fac8b70c492df&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=99265826363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=427902915300&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6648927202801188920&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046261&hvtargid=pla-884930502698

I’ll ask her where she got it from. 

13 hours ago, kpnut said:

Re: washing up drainer. 
Catherine got this one for the boat. It’s superb, just right for all the plates, a pan etc and enough room left on the drainer itself for mugs, cutlery etc. I’ve cut a piece of that non-slip holey rubber to fit the drainer so nothing slips or rattles. 
I don’t think Catherine got it from Amazon and this isn’t the exact one, but it’s something like this. 

I’ll ask her where she got it from. 

Actually I bought one similar to that from IKEA, as I liked your set up, but I wasn't sure if other syndicate members would agree. 

Well we had the usual slightly sad final morning spent cleaning the boat. Fortunately, the water levels had dropped sufficiently that we managed to get the car and trailer to the rear of the boat to load up.

We stopped off in Hoveton to offload our recycling (there’s a handy recycling point just at the rear of the St John’s moorings) then we went to The Old Mill Cafe for lunch. Reasonably priced and consistently good.

We were anticipating a hold up on the A11, as much of the carriageway had been blocked by an accident earlier, but we had quite a good journey back home, considering it was a Friday late afternoon.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...