Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Mine just says "Nah, you've just got tinnitus".

You might've enjoyed Harry whistling the tune 'Pure Imagination' then, (the Willy Wonka song, which his band have been practising) as we were passing Cantley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Arrived at Loddon. Just one other boat here at present. 

Enjoy Loddon

One of our favourite locations 

Great walks for the dogs, nice cafes, good shops, excellent takeaways and the odd pub which likes dogs!!

We didn't go anywhere in Loddon, apart from Graham visiting the Co-op.

We are trying to ration our pub visits. I had thought to visit the butchers, but we had half the haggis cottage pie left over from a few days ago, so I thought I'd best use that up before buying more food. The cottage pie helpings weren't going to be huge, so Graham bought a couple of sponge puds and custard from the Co-op for him and Harry and a dairy free option for me. 

Earlier today I drafted a post which I forgot to send and have just accidentally deleted. It was to comment that this BA barge passed us. Not sure if it was towing or suspending the boat alongside. Looked like it had been submerged for some time by the looks of it.

PXL_20240319_113407935.thumb.jpg.f366a9ee02e5053497cb3ae8373ee2c0.jpg

• Like 3

Another early start this morning. We set off from Loddon at 6am. Currently traversing the New Cut on our way to Beccles.

The Chet needs a bit of love and care. There are several sections of Pye's Mill that are marked off with hazard tape as the quay heading looks dodgy, and in the lower sections several bends where the reeds are growing out onto the river, narrowing it considerably. 

PXL_20240320_064253654.thumb.jpg.826f6db6f4ebda8f3d8e656ace3bae24.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Another early start this morning. We set off from Loddon at 6am. Currently traversing the New Cut on our way to Beccles.

The Chet needs a bit of love and care. There are several sections of Pye's Mill that are marked off with hazard tape as the quay heading looks dodgy, and in the lower sections several bends where the reeds are growing out onto the river, narrowing it considerably. 

PXL_20240320_064253654.thumb.jpg.826f6db6f4ebda8f3d8e656ace3bae24.jpg

It’s only a couple of years since The Chet was dredged.  If the channel isn’t widened soon, it will become increasingly difficult to navigate, especially on the bends as you near the junction with The Yare.

It’s also disappointing that the moorings at Pyes Mill are falling into disrepair.  I’m not a big fan of Loddon basin.  I try to avoid stern on moorings, as I don’t really like being the meat in the sandwich between other boats and issues at the car park which resulted in the toilets being pinned as Loddon Drug Store on Google Maps (pin now removed) have done little to enhance my opinion of the mooring.  We’ve always preferred to moor at Pyes Mill and walk into the village, which has much to offer.  It would be a massive disappointment if those moorings are lost.

I do enjoy cruising The Chet, though.  To me, it’s kind of The Ant of the southern rivers and relatively easy to get to from our base at Brundall.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

We haven’t been down the Chet for many years now. Interesting to read your perspective. Still worth cruising?

Definitely!

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

It’s only a couple of years since The Chet was dredged.  If the channel isn’t widened soon, it will become increasingly difficult to navigate, especially on the bends as you near the junction with The Yare.

It’s also disappointing that the moorings at Pyes Mill are falling into disrepair.  I’m not a big fan of Loddon basin.  I try to avoid stern on moorings, as I don’t really like being the meat in the sandwich between other boats and issues at the car park which resulted in the toilets being pinned as Loddon Drug Store on Google Maps (pin now removed) have done little to enhance my opinion of the mooring.  We’ve always preferred to moor at Pyes Mill and walk into the village, which has much to offer.  It would be a massive disappointment if those moorings are lost.

I do enjoy cruising The Chet, though.  To me, it’s kind of The Ant of the southern rivers and relatively easy to get to from our base at Brundall.

I was surprised by the narrowing of the Chet, as it’s not that long since we had to negotiate dredgers and barges to get to Loddon. It looked to me (no expert) as if floodwater had broken up the reed bank and left clumps of reeds further out in the river.

We had a very peaceful time on the staithe last night. No sign of any trouble. There were a few teenagers there when we arrived, one of whom was magnet fishing. Graham asked if he was looking for something in that particular spot, as we wanted to move closer to the electric point farthest from the road, and he switched his fishing spot without any complaint.

We got to Beccles mid morning. My plan of leaving Loddon at 6am worked out perfectly, as we arrived at Beccles at the point of high tide. I had wanted to avoid slogging all the way up the Waveney against the tide.

• Like 3

I felt too lazy to cook much this evening. Maybe the early start, reasonably long cruise (though Harry did helm through the New Cut), shopping trip into Beccles and then a decent walk had something to do with it.

We didn’t want to spend much either. Luckily, Lidl isn’t that far away, and their pizzas are decent. 

I've seen the Chet look like that before and I do hope it's attended to because it's narrow enough anyway. I like Pyes Mill, also Malcom and I also prefer it to the Staithe generally so let's hope it gets fixed.

Helen, one of these days I'll summon up the motivation to get out of bed as early as you to beat the tide. I see the benefit but when boating I tend to stick to my normal sleep pattern and put up with the tides.

• Like 1

the main issue with the Chet when it is like that is when you encounter something coming the other way, or wild swimmers who dont seem to understand theres not a lot of places for you to go to avoid them, and that once you start to pass them they become very difficult to keep track of from the helm of a boat, even if you are brushing the reeds on the opposite bank.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Helen, one of these days I'll summon up the motivation to get out of bed as early as you to beat the tide. I see the benefit but when boating I tend to stick to my normal sleep pattern and put up with the tides.

I once did a 5am start from hardly cross with the aim to get back to beccles early to go get a new cooker- caught the tides early and made it there for 9.30am with the tide behind me both down river, through the new cut and then upriver to Beccles

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I don't generally worry too much about tides much on the northern broads, but it can make a huge difference on the Waveney and Yare, more so the further downriver you are.

Yesterday, I had set my revs to take me along at roughly 6mph once I came out of the New Cut. When I passed the turn off for Oulton Broad, I noticed that I gradually lost a bit of speed. By the time I passed North Cove I was almost down to 5mph on the same revs. I checked the tides again, but still had a rising tide behind me.

The plan today is to leave Beccles around 9am aiming to head up north, with a walkies stop on the way, probably St Loaves or Burgh Castle. The earlier we leave, the longer the walk will be. Slack water at Yarmouth is 2.30'ish.

• Like 2

Just returned from a very pleasant walk from the St Olave's (or as I accidentally posted earlier...St Loaves 🤣) moorings, skirting the Waveney Forest and then returning through the forest. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So, catch up…left St Olaves yesterday after lunch to get through Yarmouth 3’ish. It was after 5 by the time we got to Acle, so although we were aiming for our home mooring in Horning we stopped at Acle instead. I didn’t think it would be good to try mooring up at our home berth whilst light was failing and I was feeling tired.

This morning we set off from Acle early, as I had told the yard that we would be back on our home mooring by yesterday evening. We had an issue with our forward heads. It was leaking, and not leaking from the intake (if you take my meaning) so rather smelly.

We went to Norwich by car today, to give the engineers free access to the boat.

Whilst in Norwich market, Graham spotted a large dog bed for Pozzie, as the one we had bought him was pretty poor. Guess who claimed it…

• Like 3