Small Boat Insurance

Oldnew

I am glad to have joined NBN as members have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you.

l have a query about boat insurance and if there are any particularly recommended insurers for a day boat (with outboard motor), about19/20 ft and over 40 yrs old.

Recommendations would be welcome. Thank you.

Tried Craftinsure, but, their small boat insurance is only for 'The boat, unless a rowing scull, canoe or kayak, is no longer than 16'6" (5m)'.

Trying the cruiser option, boat cannot be built prior to 1971.

Will give Nav and Gen try.

l probably only need third party insurance?

16 minutes ago, Oldnew said:

Tried Craftinsure, but, their small boat insurance is only for 'The boat, unless a rowing scull, canoe or kayak, is no longer than 16'6" (5m)'.

Trying the cruiser option, boat cannot be built prior to 1971.

Will give Nav and Gen try.

l probably only need third party insurance?

The main things that get nicked on a trailered boat are the engine and the trailer if it is a decent one. If the trailer is a dog's breakfast junk heap it is and convenient and unlocked its probably worth a few coppers for scrap steel. The boat shell is a bit too traceable and not really worth much to a thief. The engines, if they are old will not realise much from insurance companies if stolen as they depreciate with age, however they will still be stolen and probably shipped abroad for sale or spares.

Its your choice really, personally I insure my outfit fully comp. It only costs me around £90.

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Alpo, what size boat and set up do you have.

The boat is a 14 ft dayboat fitted out for basically camping on water with a cockpit canopy. The trailer is a robust custom made Indespension based trailer built over 30 years ago and into its second set of Indespension suspension units so is well maintained and the engine is an old medium powered four stroke.  

• Like 1

I have to add to this that due to needing the boat lifted over winter for some gelcoat repairs I called my current insurers to see what type of survey was required as I knew I was due another next year (save the extra lift out cost and all that) and they informed me that they've now changed it to 10 years between surveys instead of seven, and if I uploaded the last one to their new system online they could extend it for me, uploaded last night and now have a cert with the new survey due date, good service I recon and as I'll be due a new bss by then I can get them done together and will be wanting to AF and replace anodes again by then anyway.

Thank you GJW!

I was with Navigators and General, but when I wanted to increase the value of the boat considerably, because of the way the used boat market has gone,  I found I needed to change insurers and went to Alan Boswell of Norwich.

Alan Boswell had no problem with the value I wanted, T&C's were the same and the premium a little less than the previous year. amazingly both brokers use the same underwriters for the policy: Zurich.

You could try IRCM. We have used them for over 12 years, (never had to make a claim). They may require a valuation report, you would need to check. The policies are underwritten by Lloyd’s or Axa, I cannot remember who is the under writer this year?

Cheers 

Paul 

C6974071-9F84-486E-9884-A1AB190E005D.jpeg