Oh Boy, How Stupid Was That

MauriceMynah

I think if we are able to get boat details and report these foolish and thoughtless (and in some cases downright dangerous) incidents to the BA, we will be helping them in their safety campaign. It relies on the BA taking action, either by intercepting the boat, contacting the owner or contacting the boatyard and asking them to contact their clients and warn them that they have been reported as doing something unacceptable or dangerous. Now I have no idea if this is something that the BA would want,  maybe Tom/BA could comment? 

• Like 3

In the real world there's nothing you can really do without video evidence. The people on the two boats would rally round their person and it would be one person's word against several.

They will probably be relating their story of how X jumped from one boat to the other while holding Y, for years. If Y ever gets married the incident may even be mentioned in the speech. Like someone I know who constantly repeats the story of how they allowed their 13 year old son to get drunk, simply because everyone around is too polite to say what should be said. That's life I'm afraid.

• Like 2

agreed but, by reporting it you allow the BA to ask that it be mentioned as a foolish act to do during the handover by the boatyards, even as an anecdotal example, eg

be careful, one hirer was seen jumping between 2 boats with a child,  think what could have happened if they slipped.

along with the warnings about not reversing toward a swimmer to pick them up.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

In the real world there's nothing you can really do without video evidence. The people on the two boats would rally round their person and it would be one person's word against several.

You don’t need video evidence surely to just say ‘you were apparently seen doing xyz’, if the persons involved denied it then at least they would have been warned that others take an interest in what goes on around the broads and might be more careful in future. A shot across the bows so to speak :default_coat:.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

agreed but, by reporting it you allow the BA to ask that it be mentioned as a foolish act

Exactly. 

• Like 3

Just a quick point, no dog or pet of any sort should be tethered by the neck in the back of a car. Point one this will not restrain the dog from having head severed from body by the force so what was the point they will still take your head off on the way through. Point two harnesses are cheap offer full restraint capability and work. 

our hairies travel in my car ( cabriolet) regularly with full chest harness and an ISO registered seat attachment device attached to the top back attachment point of the harness. Some have a lips some carabiners ( ours) they are super. Incidentally they wear them 100% of the time on the boat too. 

• Like 1

Another point.

With regard to the behavior of this person with the child. It is not the Broads Authority's responsibility to deal with this matter. The boat yard has no ability whatsoever to influence or prevent this type of incident. The trial run driver is unable to cover all contingencies during the handover and cannot take responsibility in any shape or form.

An infants life was placed in jeopardy by the foolhardy and irresponsible action of an adult.

It could well have resulted in the death of the child. It is that serious.

Manslaughter.

Not the Broads Authority. Not the Boat Yard. Not the Trial run driver.

It is a Police matter.

The life of an infant is that important.
Andrew

Without concrete evidence I doubt there is much the Police can do. It is also possibly a social services matter, but again without knowing who they are and where they live and therefore who the local social services are!, however safety on the water is very much within the BA's remit.

Broads Control is the point of contact for any incidents on the water, unless it involves immediate danger to life then dial 999.

The police have the ability to determine the names and addresses of the hirers. Their mobile numbers. Where they are. For a little talk. 

I fail to understand where social services enter or have any influence into this equation.

Where does Broads Control have influence in this matter and able to take immediate action with regard to those who have a complete disregard to the safety and welfare of an infant?

Finally, to have the authority to ensure the future safety of this little child.

Andrew

5 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I would have thought it very much a Social Care issue if a child is being put in jeopardy.

There is a certain degree of urgency with regard to this matter. Social Services, Social Care are not well placed. In the first instance it is a Police matter to find and identify the people concerned. They will determine the course of action to take, not social services.

Andrew.