Oh Boy, How Stupid Was That

MauriceMynah

In line with forum Tos no names, no pack drill but I have to vent my spleen on what must be the most stupid thing I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

I was travelling from Upton dyke towards the Thurne.when,coming towards me were two large, oldish hire boats. They were punching the tidebut were still doing 6mph+ It looked to me that one boat was trying to overtake the other. As the overtaking boat was half way to being alongside the other, I wondered why they were so close to each other.

They were no more than 3 or 4 feet apart. The reason for this was made clear when a man from the overtaking boat jumped to the boat being overtaken. He was carrying something under one arm leaving just the other to grab the hand rail.

Having made this ridiculous feat he put down the thing he had carried across. I was a toddler about two years of age.

Amazing stupidity or what!

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

In line with forum Tos no names, no pack drill but I have to vent my spleen on what must be the most stupid thing I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

I was travelling from Upton dyke towards the Thurne.when,coming towards me were two large, oldish hire boats. They were punching the tidebut were still doing 6mph+ It looked to me that one boat was trying to overtake the other. As the overtaking boat was half way to being alongside the other, I wondered why they were so close to each other.

They were no more than 3 or 4 feet apart. The reason for this was made clear when a man from the overtaking boat jumped to the boat being overtaken. He was carrying something under one arm leaving just the other to grab the hand rail.

Having made this ridiculous feat he put down the thing he had carried across. I was a toddler about two years of age.

Amazing stupidity or what!

It never fails to amaze me how stupid some people are.

at best on lads week we have had 3 jewel of lights line abreast on the bure (while BA was taking the photos), at just a couple of foot apart, but the only thing passing between boats would have been a selection of sweets being shared, and though it may have shocked an oncoming boat, we had left them plenty of river to pass. I think aside from Breydon, the only other time was when Griff wanted to borrow a sharp knife from BA to prepare his evening meal for the crew.

Certainly no crew transfers while under way.

Usual complaint at this time of year -  brain left behind at home on the sideboard.   Where on earth is the mother in all of this.   Even if my other half had thought it a good idea there is no way it would have happened in my presence.     If it was that urgent to get the child to the other boat, then stop both boats somewhere safe.

• Like 2

It's all very well venting one's spleen and posting cryptic references to places names etc, but there is a very serious subject behind all this, the safety of a 2 or 3 year old.

IF I had witnessed such actions I would have made a note of the boat names and numbers and then called Broads control. I doubt very much if they could actually take official action, not without a video or concrete evidence, and that's not what I would want, but at the very least the BA could call the hire yard concerned and get them to ring the hirers to point out that their actions have been witnessed and what a dangerous thing it was to do, and highlight to them some of the unfortunate accidents that happened last year and how quickly such actions can result in death. Also if a launch was near by, they also could have a quiet word.

Currently the crews are potentially non the wiser to the stupidity of their actions, unless they happen to read this forum. Meanwhile the safety and welfare of a toddler is is in question!

• Like 5

No but many people drive around with a dog on their lap and/or untethered in the back of their car - in an accident it could easily be propelled through the windscreen. Humans are secured, why not dogs????

Lets face it, people do everything stupid you can possibly imagine

The problem is that people don't see the danger, the boats are travelling slowly (compared to a car, which is why, I think, so many novice boaters speed) the sun is shining, they are confident swimmers, perhaps a lunch time beer takes the edge off peoples sense of danger, you can see how people with limited experience can do daft things.

Last time we were on the broads, we witnessed a child (aprox. 12 years old) fall in from the stern platform of a twin helm hire cruiser whilst reversing to a mooring at Gays staith, Dad was on the helm and couldn't see the child, child swam straight back to the stern to climb out, when he realised what was happening, dad gave a burst of power to stop the boat. How leg and prop didn't connect i have no idea. It was the stuff of nighmares, the family just laughed it off.

• Sad 3

With two boats side by side I doubt I'd have any problems with stepping across if needed, jumping wouldn't even enter into it and involving a youngster an absolute no chance.

A guy lost a foot and later died in hospital not far from where I live a few years back, he'd been sitting on a tarp on the back of a boat which got dragged in by the prop taking him in the water with it, the boat then reversed to go and get him and drew him in to the prop, not a good move.

• Sad 1

I think part of the problem, especially for those with less experience is a lack of exposure to some of the terrible outcomes. To the man concerned no doubt it looked safe and he has noe gone away confirmed in that opinion.

I don't know what the answer is I'm sure. As children road safety is drummed into us and even so there are too many avoidable accidents... on the Broads many are there for the first time and perhaps have no understanding how bad a "slow motion" accident can be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marshman said:

but many people drive around with a dog on their lap and/or untethered in the back of their car - in an accident it could easily be propelled through the windscreen. Humans are secured, why not dogs????

As you know it is now a legal requirement that dogs are tethered in cars.... Almost impossible to police I guess but if tickets are issued during random stops or along with other offences it may slowly have an effect.

For now though it's exactly as you say and many still do sadly. (My mum, bless her, thought it was for the dog's safety 🙂)

In anything other than a bump a dog who is simply tethered to it's collar will break it's neck sadly. Cages are better but there is still a limit to what sudden stop an impact a dog will survive... or us for that matter 🙁

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Dogs don't have to be tethered, merely restrained, I looked into the requirements when I first heard about it and it's very vague in whats required, just enough to stop the dog climbing onto your lap as far as I could make out.

Good point, I admit I wasn't concentrating on the terminology... I imagine anything designed to stop a dog flying on impact amounts to a similar thing though.

18 hours ago, Meantime said:

IF I had witnessed such actions I would have made a note of the boat names and numbers and then called Broads control.

Oh how I wish I had done just that !

In truth I was so shocked at what I was seeing that it just didn't occur to me. By the time it did, the boats were far too far away from me to do any sort of ID. I was so surprised at the whole thing  it must have been a whole minute before I even thought "WHAT ?? !!! " 

It does lead me to ask what the official line is on what someone should do on seeing such a stupid but not illegal action?

• Like 2