Windows 11 Upgrade

CeePee1952

I've recently received a notification that my laptop is ready to receive the Windows 11 upgrade (download through the internet) from Windows 10 that is installed on my Dell laptop. Has anyone already done this and were there any hiccups or other problems that manifested themselves when doing this?  I usually wait a while before upgrading just in case there are any bugs that are still being rectified but as my laptop is less than a year old, I might go ahead with the download and bite the bullet so to speak!

Cheers

Chris

My Surface Pro is less than a year old, did the upgrade last week... Camera stopped working!

There is no real reason for this, just coincidence apparently! Support were helpful but failed to fix it. Now they have gone very quiet.

Personnally, like you, I usually wait a while and wish I had.

For what it's worth I couldn't see much difference in Win11 from the brief look I've had other than the Start button and menu.

• Like 1

I've only recently been persuaded  to windows 10  following a computer breakdown and I hate it but was told by  my local computer outfit that it was unavoidable , I much preferred windows 7.   I installed windows 10 when it first came out and promptly uninstalled it  24 hours later - disliking it immensely and I still do! So I think I can safely say I won't be tripping over myself to install  windows 11. But then  I'm a dinosaur who hates change anyway.

Carole

• Like 2

I seem to recall that when they wanted us to upgrade to windows 10, we were told it was the last upgrade we would even need to do, as all future upgrades would be part of windows 10, yet here we are not more than a few years down the line and they have bought out windows 11, what about all the hardware out there that can barely support windows 10, let alone whatever will be needed for windows 11.

• Like 3

About four years ago, our ageing iMac was becoming too slow and the cost of a new one was prohibitive, so we bought a new laptop equipped with Windows 10.  I tried to use it for over a year and finally gave up.  I couldn’t deal with Windows, so bought another iMac.

Unless Windows 11 is a vast improvement over its predecessor, I certainly won’t be using it!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

About four years ago, our ageing iMac was becoming too slow

I’m at the point of considering what to do for the same reason. I bought my iMac nine years ago. At the time all Windows computers were Windows 8. No one seemed to like that and I wasn’t interested in touch screen. So I bought a Mac and I’ve never regretted it. Just need to decide whether to invest in a new one. And the same goes for my iPhone. 

40 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I’m at the point of considering what to do for the same reason. I bought my iMac nine years ago. At the time all Windows computers were Windows 8. No one seemed to like that and I wasn’t interested in touch screen. So I bought a Mac and I’ve never regretted it. Just need to decide whether to invest in a new one. And the same goes for my iPhone. 

If you’re used to a Mac, I don’t think you’ll convert back to a Windows device easily Jean.  The same goes for your phone.  I wasn’t an iPhone fan at all, despite owning a Mac, but wanted to be able to view my photo library when I was out and about, so went the iPhone route at the time of my last upgrade.

Really happy I did, now.  With a small monthly subscription to iCloud, all my photos as well as certain important documents are accessible wherever I am (as long as I have a signal).  I currently have an iPhone 11 and a lot of the photos uploaded to the Forum whilst I’ve been on holiday have been taken with it.  The camera is really quite capable and the later ones, even more so.

• Like 1

What we get used to is a big factor in buying and upgrading our devices. In all honesty Apple, Microsoft and Chrome/Android are perfectly good systems.

I happily find my way around anything from Microsoft and Android so stick with them but I'm sure I'd be happy with Apple products too if I could be bothered to get used to something I'm not familiar with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I currently have an iPhone 11 and a lot of the photos uploaded to the Forum whilst I’ve been on holiday have been taken with it.  The camera is really quite capable and the later ones, even more so.

That’s good to hear. My camera could do with updating as well so actually I’m considering a fairly up to date phone for the camera quality and not bothering anymore with what I would call a proper camera. 

Incidentally I still have to use a Windows laptop for work so I’m very used to switching between them or even using both at the same time! However my work phone is a Samsung and I don’t get on with that at all!! 🤭

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . My camera could do with updating as well so actually I’m considering a fairly up to date phone for the camera quality and not bothering anymore with what I would call a proper camera. 

Incidentally I still have to use a Windows laptop for work so I’m very used to switching between them or even using both at the same time! However my work phone is a Samsung and I don’t get on with that at all!! 🤭

Hmmmm.  I still use my cameras, but that said, photography is a hobby and despite the advances of the latest camera phones, they are still not capable of the image quality of a good camera.  I am finding that I use my compact camera less now, but the digital zoom found on a phone is no substitute for the optical zoom found on a camera and even multi lens phones will have less reach than most zoom compacts.

They are very portable though and you are likely to have a phone with you all the time to take advantage of an unexpected photo opportunity, whereas a camera may be in a cupboard at home.  It really depends on how serious you are about your photography.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SwanR said:

However my work phone is a Samsung and I don’t get on with that at all!!

I found my samsung annoying till I used nova launcher on it to get away from the samsung UI, the last phone was nearly pure android and I preferred that and would still use it if the screen hadn't given up (can't get a replacement), now my samsung is rooted with a stripped down version lacking all the bloatware and it's much better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray said:

My Surface Pro is less than a year old, did the upgrade last week... Camera stopped working!

There is no real reason for this, just coincidence apparently! Support were helpful but failed to fix it. Now they have gone very quiet.

Personnally, like you, I usually wait a while and wish I had.

Just heard from MS that they are replacing the pc under warranty, happy with that 👍

• Like 2