Visiting Norfolk W/e 10/12 Dec

Bikertov

Thanks all - in particular to @Mouldy for his advice and knowledge on the Broom 29, and to @mikeyboy1966 for his guidance on the RGO - we are now "neighbours" in the same marina

The plan is to stay on the RGO for at least a couple of seasons. That was the key that unlocked boat ownership for me, knowing I can get there in just over an hour. It means I can easily and regularly go for the day or weekend and make the most of it, whilst I am still working full time. I even went for the morning last week prior to the survey, to see her out of the water, and was at work by 11:00.

Lots of people have said how much they enjoy the Great Ouse network, so I can have fun whilst learning more about boats, and then decide about moving up to Norfolk in the future.

As A Frayed Knot was originally a Broads boat, it will be a case of her 'coming home' at some time. I even found her entry on Craig database, that tied in with the history I have on the paperwork.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

So I am now the proud owner of a Broom 29 "A Frayed Knot", on the River Great Ouse, and no longer feel a complete imposter on a boating forum (albeit I'm on the wrong river system)

Congrats on the purchase. Nice boat. I saw her a few times at Jones Boatyard, as I'm just up the road.

• Like 1

Congratulations Biker. Your persistence has payed off. And your patience of course. I've been watching your new boat for a little while. It looks a lovely boat. I do like the Broom 29s. There has been a few for sale on the broads quite recently and I think there is still 2 on the market. I hope all goes well for you. As said, keep us updated with your experiences.

• Like 1

Had some great times on those waterways. Used to use a really nice yard with a caravan site next to Buckden Marina owned by a guy called Woody.

He retired to a property which he had built down river just north of a lock a true gentleman of the river with a lovely wife. When moored outside his home a glass of whisky was always enjoyed. He had a stunning Broom Ocean moored near Cambridge. 

Dingy bashing at Hilgay on The Wissey amongst barbecue booze and fantastic company an amazing time for Marge  Parge their family and labrador that had to be pulled out of the river and restrained as he had swum with all the kids that much he was exhausted. 

Happy Days

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Let me just add to that they were inflatable dinghies under strict supervision. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Gracie said:

Congratulations Biker. I hope you and Mrs Biker have lots of lovely, happy cruising times aboard her. You may not be able to afford a pint now but at least you'll be afloat pint less :default_biggrin: x

I think it is a case of a pint of tap water and 2 straws, for quite a while from now ...

• Haha 5

On 06/12/2021 at 13:34, Smoggy said:

Go via st.ives (cambs.) and have a snoop along the sale line at Jones marina, they have always had a busy turnover and probably cheaper than buying on the broads.

Ditto going with the biggest you can afford as I've done the step ups (albeit cheaply).

On 06/12/2021 at 14:05, Smoggy said:

They're quite good folk to deal with too.

I've bought one and sold two through them.

It's funny - reading back on the whole thread, you 'called it' Smoggy, spot on about finding a boat at Jones !

And thank you to all of you for your lovely messages of encouragement. I fully intend to enjoy my new toy and hobby as much as possible, and look forward to meeting those of you that are local (and any visiting the area) as and when you are around.

I will start a new thread soon, to share the various tales and encounters of "A Frayed Knot", and being a newcomer to boating and boat ownership 

• Like 6