Visiting Norfolk W/e 10/12 Dec

Bikertov

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Great to see your photos. Sounds like a good weekend. πŸ‘

It was good thanks, nice to get away for a short break.

On the plus side, I feel that the (just over) 2 hour journey is not too bad for a weekend away for a bit of boating, especially if it is a long weekend.

On the down side, boat prices really seem to have gone up over the last year or two. In talking to a few brokers, it seems there is a double whammy of inflation and Covid related issues pushing up prices of new boats, which has a knock on effect of pushing up the second-hand prices quite substantially.

Unfortunately this means that what I really want to get, for the age etc, is out of my budget for now. But I will keep an eye out for alternatives - the dream is not being put to sleep !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm posting on this old thread of mine because ...

I will soon be the proud owner of a boatΒ :default_biggrin:

Β :default_stinky:

In the first post on this thread, I wrote "So this may be the very start of my boating story !", and finally, a few trips east and just over a year later, it has actually proven to be.

As some of you will recall, I had a look at a few boats when I was up for the Spring Meet a couple of weeks ago, and I have now had an offer accepted and paid a deposit on one that I saw in St Ives, on the R. Great Ouse. Not quite the Broads, and not quite my ultimate dream boat, but hey-ho, you have to start somewhere !

Having said that, this boat originally came from the Broads, so there is a link, and hopefully one day I will return her 'home'.

Subject to a successful river trial and survey, if all goes well I should take possession within about 3 weeks.

Once things become certain, I will start a new thread for the boat and give more details.

In the meantime, many thanks to @Mouldy, @RayΒ Ray and @mikeyboy1966 for their help in the last few days, to guide me to my decision.
Β 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Congratulations on your impending poorness, even if you end up on the broads a season on the great ouse is worthwhile,Β  Barford to Needingworth is a lovely section but the ely end gets a bit boring with long straight runs.

So what boat and name? I might recognise it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Congratulations on your impending poorness, even if you end up on the broads a season on the great ouse is worthwhile,Β  Barford to Needingworth is a lovely section but the ely end gets a bit boring with long straight runs.

So what boat and name? I might recognise it.

Thanks Smoggy !

I will wait and share more details once the river trial is carried out, although from my previous posts on the forum some may be able to guess quite accurately which boat she isΒ :default_blush:

It's funny, we already have a massive shopping list of things to buy - it's like kitting out a new flat !

And that is without the actual boat related stuff, like fenders, anchors etcΒ Β :default_rofl:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Don't buy too much till you've done an outing or two as your ideas are bound to change as you use it.

Oh, so you think I shouldn't have already gone out and bought a 12 setting dinner set, 10 piece saucepan set, microwave, air fryer, deep fat fryer, kettle, toaster, slow cooker, ice cream maker, washer dryer, 55" 4k TV, Xbox, surround sound system .......

• Haha 6

Well that’s the second new purchase I’ve heard of today. One of the attendants at Beccles YS told me yesterday he was picking up his new purchase from PH and coincidentally I’m now moored at Ranworth and he pulled in for an overnight on his way back to Beccles.

Good luck with the trial, Bikertov, I hope it’s everything you wantβ€¦πŸ˜Ž

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Β . . . . . . .Β It's funny, we already have a massive shopping list of things to buy - it's like kitting out a new flat !

And that is without the actual boat related stuff, like fenders, anchors etcΒ Β :default_rofl:

Been there, done that!

When we bought ours, we went to Dunelm to buy stuff, crockery, glasses, pots, pans, towels, bed linen and a toilet brush! Β You know the sort of stuff. Β When we arrived at the till, the cashier said β€˜new house?’ Β We replied β€˜no, new boat!’ Β It sounded as if we were bragging, I suppose, but it felt good.Β :default_biggrin:

As for fenders etc., I bought ours from Boulters and collected them when we picked the boat up from NYA, Horning, together with a long length of 14mm rope, to make new moorings ropes. Β The ones on the boat were too short and in poor condition, so I had to learn how to splice, but YouTube can be your friend sometimes!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, kpnut said:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Many congratulations and very happy for you.Β 
Done the Dunelm trip, like sending a child off to uni!!

Lol - done that twice, with one more to goΒ :default_biggrin:

My wife said she will chose all the cushions etc, and I can do the electric appliancesΒ 

Never ever forget Bikertov, it is never ever that which you pay for a boat.Β 

It is not a 5, 10, 20, 30, thousand decision whatever you have paid.Β 

Your decision is based on your loss, or indeed profit if circumstances force a sell.

Your loss or profit, the former may be uncomfortable but not disastrous.

I wish you well. Go for it. I would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebell said:

Well that’s the second new purchase I’ve heard of today. One of the attendants at Beccles YS told me yesterday he was picking up his new purchase from PH and coincidentally I’m now moored at Ranworth and he pulled in for an overnight on his way back to Beccles.

Good luck with the trial, Bikertov, I hope it’s everything you wantβ€¦πŸ˜Ž

Thanks Bluebell !

Our great afternoon chatting at the meet up was one of things that made me decide to get on with my dream now and not wait any longerΒ 

• Like 1