Visiting Norfolk W/e 10/12 Dec

Bikertov

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Never ever forget Bikertov, it is never ever that which you pay for a boat. 

It is not a 5, 10, 20, 30, thousand decision whatever you have paid. 

Your decision is based on your loss, or indeed profit if circumstances force a sell.

Your loss or profit, the former may be uncomfortable but not disastrous.

I wish you well. Go for it. I would.

I think / hope that I have negotiated a good enough price that will mean I can sort out a few issues and shortcomings without taking the boat over its probable value 

But I have to say, since I paid over the deposit today, I can't stop smiling  :default_biggrin:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

Well done, BUT the 1st thing you need when buying a boat is------------------      a bigger cheque book.

Enjoy but try a few visits before you really go mad.

paul

Lol, a cheque book - how quaint, that is so last century :default_rolleyes:

I actually paid the deposit on my credit card. I mean, how awesome is that - I bought a boat with my credit card, all those extra Nectar points :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

- I bought a boat with my credit card, all those extra Nectar points 

I paid a speeding fine by card once, and got cashback .:default_biggrin:

Still had the 6 points though.... :default_wacko: (long gone now, for a while anyway)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Well, you certainly kept that one under the radar at the meet.

Congratulations and hopefully if all OK. Enjoy!

I was only really half-heartedly looking that weekend, and doing a bit of tyre-kicking (or should that be fender kicking ??). I never seriously thought in my wildest dreams that 2 weeks later I would be in the position of a deposit paid on boat of my own.

So many people have said to me, and unfortunate circumstances I have seen over the years with family, friends and acquaintances have demonstrated, that at some point we have to stop living for the future, and start living for the now  - because we don't know what the future holds, and for how long it will be there for.

Having seen all you guys with your boats, and spoken to many of you, and added to some of those reflections on life, the universe and everything, I just thought "if not now, then when or maybe never ?"

Reading and hearing how much all you guys enjoy your boating, be it owned, syndicated or hired, and not needing to be multi-millionaires to do so, has spurred me to start living that boating dream now.

It may be a bit more modest to start with than I would ultimately wish for, but so what - I have talked about it for too long, but now I am actually on my way to doing it .

So a massive "Thank you" to each and every one of you, who in your own different ways have helped me on the path to achieve the dream of owning my own boat !

• Like 10
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

So many people have said to me, and unfortunate circumstances I have seen over the years with family, friends and acquaintances have demonstrated, that at some point we have to stop living for the future, and start living for the now  - because we don't know what the future holds, and for how long it will be there for.

Exactly why we went for it some years ago. Our plan was always, ‘when we retire’ but after a serious health issue for me and a couple of friends dying so young we realised we needed to live for the day a bit more.  We would love a more modern, bigger boat but that’s out of our range at the moment but we are so extremely thankful that we have what we have now. Our bank account could be a lot healthier without the boat costs obviously but at least we are enjoying ourselves and always have something to look forward to (even the imminent maintenance weekend).  

Enjoy your new addition to the family Biker :) 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . It may be a bit more modest to start with than I would ultimately wish for, but so what - I have talked about it for too long, but now I am actually on my way to doing it .

Knowing what I know, but able to not disclose that, your starting point is not so modest imho.  It’s a great starting point and one that many people could only aspire to.  That said, I’m in total agreement with you in that none of us know what the future holds.  Live for today, you only live once and don’t have the opportunity to regret what you haven’t done - all cliches maybe, but so true.

Really happy for you.  My bank balance doesn’t look as healthy as it might have been after four years of ownership, but the money we’ve spent couldn’t compensate for the memories we’ve made and continue to make.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I first moved up to a coastal capable boat I heard many say "we'll do that when we retire and have more time" quite a few are no longer here, 1 can now barely walk and talk due to a stroke, you have made the right decision as long as you still have a roof and food, I'm so glad we did it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

I was only really half-heartedly looking that weekend, and doing a bit of tyre-kicking (or should that be fender kicking ??). I never seriously thought in my wildest dreams that 2 weeks later I would be in the position of a deposit paid on boat of my own.

Having seen all you guys with your boats, and spoken to many of you, and added to some of those reflections on life, the universe and everything, I just thought "if not now, then when or maybe never ?"

Reading and hearing how much all you guys enjoy your boating, be it owned, syndicated or hired, and not needing to be multi-millionaires to do so, has spurred me to start living that boating dream now.

It may be a bit more modest to start with than I would ultimately wish for, but so what - I have talked about it for too long, but now I am actually on my way to doing it .

So a massive "Thank you" to each and every one of you, who in your own different ways have helped me on the path to achieve the dream of owning my own boat !

Such a lovely post Biker and so true. Life can change in an instant, as you know it did for my dad. His life was changed overnight and the circumstances put an end to a lot of activities for him including boating. You never know what lies ahead so you go get that boat, live your dream and enjoy every moment

All the very best to you and Mrs Biker :default_winko: x

• Like 5

It’s great that some realise their boat ownership dream sooner than they might otherwise have planned, what next then, new avatar in due course, change of name even? Owner that is, not the boat of course. Might I suggest “Boatertov”.

I’m jesting! Congratulations and I’m looking forward to anecdotes from a broadsboateye view of the fens, I’ve driven past numerous points where roads meet drains over the years but never taken the opportunity to trial the navigation. Pictures please!

Of course not everyone realises the dream as soon as they perhaps can and I’ve had conversations with several who said when I retire’.... always at pains to point out sooner they do it the more they’ll be able to both enjoy it and probably afford it (not being at the complete mercy of the boat yards eg diy). However if they can’t afford ownership I always recommend they hire (so they understand what they may be taking on, or missing...

• Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 21:25, Bikertov said:

Lol, a cheque book - how quaint, that is so last century :default_rolleyes:

I actually paid the deposit on my credit card. I mean, how awesome is that - I bought a boat with my credit card, all those extra Nectar points :default_eusa_dance:

Nope.

After a while your only option to pay will be by cheque.

Your credit card will be owned by chanderies, if you have not discovered them yet they are the devils son of boat owners.

All those things you did not know or existed YOU must have for your boat.

Buying a boat is a cheap thing compared to them.

paul

• Sad 1

Strange reading this thread tonight - as another one joins the boat owning clan, I have made the sad decision to leave it!

Had a boat of one sort or another myself, for the best part of 60 years and remembering my Dads boats before me, and you can add another 15 years onto the previous figure, that there has always been one around.

Today decided to sell up as its all become too much. One part is very very sad, the other relieved that I will, I hope ,no longer have the worry of what needs doing, and having to do it.

I reckon I have learnt a bit about the rivers, and the sea, in those years and until now, thought I would downsize when the time came, but no!  I have been so lucky and have a million treasured memories but think now its time to sling me hook, as they say and now just sit on my a**e for a bit!!!

• Sad 9

9 minutes ago, marshman said:

Strange reading this thread tonight - as another one joins the boat owning clan, I have made the sad decision to leave it!

Awwww Marshman so sad to hear. Hope that you have friends who can keep you on the water.

To Bikertov a great decision as it is much better to be fit to establish your boat and get used to ownership. 

I have had some health issues after covid and haven't left our mooring since last September we have managed to clean it a bit but we won't sell it and hopefully will be out and about soon. We possibly wouldn't have gone into boat ownership now but after having 4 over 30 plus years the decision not to come out of it didn't need to be made. 

Enjoy every day because every day is a school day with long play times

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Had a boat of one sort or another myself, for the best part of 60 years and remembering my Dads boats before me, and you can add another 15 years onto the previous figure, that there has always been one around.

Today decided to sell up as its all become too much. One part is very very sad, the other relieved that I will, I hope ,no longer have the worry of what needs doing, and having to do it.

I reckon I have learnt a bit about the rivers, and the sea, in those years and until now, thought I would downsize when the time came, but no!  I have been so lucky and have a million treasured memories but think now its time to sling me hook, as they say and now just sit on my a**e for a bit!!!

Whilst it is very sad to hear of your retirement from boating, in some ways it becomes part of the 'circle of (boating) life' - one leaves boating as another one joins.

If ones thinks of it as having been 'paired up' with you on the dawn of my boating adventures, and the sunset of yours, then I consider myself privileged in having a 'twin' with such a long history of boating and the Broads :default_biggrin:

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Some of you might have wondered why I went quiet on this thread ...

Well - after having my original offer accepted back in May, after the Spring Meet, unfortunately the seller pulled out just before the survey was done.

A long story that I won't go into, but the boat came back on the market a few weeks later, but they wouldn't take my offer again.

Roll forward to the end of September, and with no-one else showing interest they eventually  accepted my offer.

A tense few weeks followed, and with the survey completed and a little more negotiating, I finally completed the deal yesterday and picked up the keys

So I am now the proud owner of a Broom 29 "A Frayed Knot", on the River Great Ouse, and no longer feel a complete imposter on a boating forum (albeit I'm on the wrong river system)

• Like 15
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Some of you might have wondered why I went quiet on this thread ...

Well - after having my original offer accepted back in May, after the Spring Meet, unfortunately the seller pulled out just before the survey was done.

A long story that I won't go into, but the boat came back on the market a few weeks later, but they wouldn't take my offer again.

Roll forward to the end of September, and with no-one else showing interest they eventually  accepted my offer.

A tense few weeks followed, and with the survey completed and a little more negotiating, I finally completed the deal yesterday and picked up the keys

So I am now the proud owner of a Broom 29 "A Frayed Knot", on the River Great Ouse, and no longer feel a complete imposter on a boating forum (albeit I'm on the wrong river system)

Congratulations on joining the empty wallet club!  I hope it brings you as much fun and pleasure as Norfolk Lady has brought us!

• Like 1