Silver Mirage Version 2.0

This afternoon I boarded Silver Mirage at Silverline, Brundall for my first trip of the year, a week aboard solo. The "Version 2.0" in the title is for two reasons, firstly I'm returning to the boat after a gap of nearly 18 years and secondly the boat feels very much a version 2.0 because it's been significantly updated since I hired it last time. I was really impressed today both with the welcome and service I received from Silverline and also what they've done with the boat. It had a complete refit in 2018 and everything has been updated, including the addition of electric hook up, bow thrusters, electric sliding roof and electric mudweight. The boat is around 33 years old now but you'd never know and it's in immaculate condition inside and out.

Earlier, I'd had a remarkably hassle-free journey from South Wales to my first port of call - Sainsbury's near Thorpe. I had planned to top up with petrol there after shopping but thought better of it given the queue which had to be marshalled by staff as it trailed around the entire perimeter of the car park. It was a short drive then to Brundall where I arrived around 2pm and after a short but professional handover I was away at 3pm. Destination for tonight was Reedham as, very handily as I want to head north, slack water at Great Yarmouth is around 10-30 in the morning. It was a quiet and sunny, if chilly cruise down the Yare which, despite my punching the tide, only took an hour and a half at a steady 6mph. At Reedham Quay I was greeted by a helpful ranger who promptly helped me adjust the fenders and then set up a spring line for me. I'm now in the Ship for some food and really looking forward to my run north tomorrow.

IMG_20220408_165153_5.jpg

IMG_20220408_165138_6.jpg

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Looks lovely in the sun Simon. Reedham is a favourite spot to watch the world go by, though looking at the lack of other boats on the quay, it won't be much of the world at the moment! 

A couple of boats have come in since I took that picture but the Yare was typically quiet this afternoon.

Last night was wintry cold and I kicked myself for not having asked Silverline for an extra duvet. All boatyards seem to make the same mistake of offering only a summer-weight duvet which doesn't cut the mustard in the cold. I was tired enough to sleep well regardless and by 8-45 I was untying and looking forward to a sunny Breydon crossing. I was with the tide today and I zinged along without the engine breaking sweat. At Great Yarmouth it wasn't long after low water so I was surprised to find there was only about 8 foot 6 showing at the first bridge. I had to lower my screen pretty sharpish just to be on the safe side. I'd counted only 4 boats passing since I left Reedham and the Yacht Station had much more empty space than boats. I had pondered the idea of taking a short stop at Great Yarmouth instead of doing my usual thing of passing straight through but ultimately I wasn't really motivated to stop there. Instead I decided to continue. I found myself waiting to overtake a boat doing all of 2.5 mph. I've got nothing against people taking their time but I do object when they combine it with positioning themselves on the wrong side of the river. Eventually they moved over and there was the odd boat heading downstream after that but far fewer than I expected. Eventually I reached Stacey Arms and pulled in for a break and some food. Some of you will have read my thread about our dog, Rollie, passing away in February. Last July Stracey was our first night mooring and as I walked along the bank alone today it felt so strange to be without him. I decided to head for Thurne for tonight where I arrived around 3pm. The wind was quite challenging as I moored because it was pushing the boat strongly away from the bank. I'm on the left side of the dyke and I noticed how few and far between the mooring rings have become. I was lucky to have two of them but after I arrived I kept hearing the sound of rhond anchors being hammered in. As I write I'm enjoying the rarity of gluten-free draught beer in the shape of "Redwell Steam", a drink I've enjoyed here time and time again.

• Like 6

It's been a fabulous day today, with the bonus of sun almost all day and a few degrees warmer also. I reversed out of Thurne Dyke around 9am. If I'm near the mill I find it far less faff to reverse out rather than turn around in the tight spot at the bottom of the dyke. The wind still blew me back towards the bank though and I found the bow thrusters weren't very powerful so it was one of those situations where the old-fashioned rudder hard over and quick burst of forward throttle was the way to go. I decided to head for the Ant today and first stop was Ludham Bridge. The clearance on the height marker was 7 foot 11 on the first board so I dropped the screens once again to be sure. The marker nearest the bridge said 8 foot 1 - wow I didn't know the tide dropped that quickly! There was enough boating activity going on to give the river just upstream of the bridge a typically chaotic feel. After a brief stop for a visit to the shop I continued and was surprised to see the How Hill moorings full at 11am. I could have moored at Instead though if I'd wanted and there wasn't a huge amount of river traffic. I decided to head for Gayes Staithe where I haven't stopped for a while and take a walk to the Barton Broad boardwalk. I had the stern-on section at Gayes to myself initially and enjoyed the 15 minute walk to the boardwalk. It's well worth a visit, I think because it lets you see a see a section of the Broad which you can't see by boat. Walking along the single track road to reach the boardwalk was like going back in time because there were no cars for minutes at a time. Aptly, a beautiful 1960s classic mini came along and passed me as it could have done over 50 years ago. Where to cruise next? What a delicious choice I had. I chose to head for Sutton as I haven't been there in a while. There I pondered the idea of having a drink in the sun but decided against it because I wasn't finished for the day yet. I wanted to make the most of being temporarily dog-free and do something you can't do when you have a dog with you - moor on the mudweight overnight. I headed back to Barton and dropped the mudweight in "Rascal Bay". I didn't stay long though because I wasn't 100% comfortable. I just felt too exposed to the wind although in reality it was probably anxiety getting the better of me. Instead, I headed to a lovely wild spot just north of the Broad, on the corner of the Barton Turf "triangle".

IMG_20220410_072946_4.jpg

IMG_20220410_121053_2.jpg

IMG_20220410_115359_8.jpg

• Like 6

I've cruised a good few hours today. I was ready for the off by 0830 and had to wait for a queue of Richardson's craft passing on their way back to base. I decided to chance my arm at Wayford Bridge and try and reach Dilham. I managed to tolerate the architectural abomination that is the cottage at Hunsett Mill and I was pleased to see there was over 7 foot showing at Wayford. I dropped the screen and passed under comfortably. I love the short stretch between Wayford and Dilham. It's rare to meet any other craft whatever the time of year and sure enough that's what happened today, save for the single boat moored at Dilham Staithe. I didn't stop at Dilham this time but instead turned around and went all the way to How Hill. I stopped there around the same time I'd passed yesterday when it was full and yet today the moorings were only about 30% occupied. I guess yesterday was Sunday so many of the boats would have been Richardson's on a Monday finish. I enjoyed a short walk towards the house and felt sad our dog Rollie wasnt here to enjoy the open space like he was last year. I returned to the boat and continued before mooring for some lunch at St Benet's. The wind there was challenging albeit this time it was blowing me towards the bank. I still managed to get temporarily in a pickle though, mainly because I hadn't been concentrating and went past a large space and had to turn around and then turnaround again to come in against the tide. Because of the wind I ended up being blown towards the bank in the wrong place and engine manouvres couldn't beat the wind for a couple of minutes. Ultimately I moored safely and had a break and another walk filled with doggie memories. This afternoon I headed to Salhouse where I've finished up. When I arrived I pondered for a moment whether to moor for the night on the mudweight. I decided against it though, partly because of the wind and partly because it's somewhere I enjoy a walk. I wasn't planning to eat at the pub tonight but the lure of the Fur and Feather was too great, especially as it's a pub I've not visited before. I can recommend it - I had the gammon which had a lovely bacony flavour and comes with two tasty duck eggs.

IMG_20220411_094619_9.jpg

IMG_20220411_111034_8.jpg

IMG_20220411_111545_6.jpg

IMG_20220411_172139_4.jpg

• Like 15

Wonderful to catch up with your tale this morning. I enjoy the walk at Barton Broad too. And the Fur and Feather has become a regular stop for us partly because it’s a short drive from home. Love seeing your photos. 

• Like 1

Really enjoying your tale, but really saddened it's without Rollie, it must have been really tough for you and especially when you are on your own?

Some people don't get what dogs mean to you, I still have sad moments for a dog we lost four years ago!   :default_icon_cry:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tim said:

Really enjoying your tale, but really saddened it's without Rollie, it must have been really tough for you and especially when you are on your own?

Some people don't get what dogs mean to you, I still have sad moments for a dog we lost four years ago!   :default_icon_cry:

Thanks Tim. It does feel strange without him, especially as almost everywhere I stop I associate with him. It's helpful though because it brings back lovely memories which make me smile, like when he used to enjoy himself running off the lead at St Benet's.

• Like 1

It started raining an hour ago for the first time since I've been aboard - can't be bad.

This morning, before setting off from Salhouse, I had a walk along the moorings in the sunshine and had a nice chat with a lady who was on Jocelyn from Martham Boats with her husband. I was intrigued because it's a boat I've thought about hiring. She and her husband were first time visitors and she explained she was enjoying the traditionality of the boat whilst recognising its limitations in comparison to modern craft. It did look stunning on the outside. I was surprised to hear the yard had only just squeezed the boat under Potter Bridge, scraping the lifebuoy on the roof in the process. I returned to Silver Mirage and set off, roof down as usual, first destination Ranworth. I arrived there around 10 and there was plenty of space, I suspect because a number of overnight moorers had left. I enjoyed a walk to the Conservation Centre and then a visit to the Information Centre where there was a display with videos on the subject of Broads holidays through the years. I relaxed a little longer until around midday by which time the moorings were full. My next destination was Potter Heigham. Somehow the Thurne always seems much quieter than the Ant and Bure and so it proved this time. I moored on the BA moorings and walked to Herbert Woods first of all. They must have done well for bookings because there weren't many boats in and many of those that were had customers just arriving. Alas I didn't manage to avoid Latham's as there was one item I needed (it's not my favourite shop in the world) so afterwards I de-stressed with an ice cream sat near the bridge. Soon after returning to the boat I headed for tonight's destination - South Walsham Broad. I was determined to try out overnight mudweighting as this might be the last time for a while I come without a dog. I ended up doing the same as I did at Barton - dropping the mudweight but then chickening out. There's something about the boat swinging about in the wind that makes me nervous to go to sleep. Instead, I moved the boat a very short distance to a spot I've been before in daytime between the main Broad and Inner Broad. On the left there's a little bay with a handy overhanging tree which you can loop a stern rope around. I dropped the mudweight also and I can't disembark so I've still achieved my target of mooring overnight where I couldn't with a dog - result! It's a fantastic spot as well.

IMG_20220412_095723_7.jpg

IMG_20220412_183430_0.jpg

IMG_20220412_183506_9.jpg

• Like 5

I think the point with Marthams is they only just scrape them through at anything under 6' at the bridge, 1/2" clearance is normal, getting 3" clearance is unusual. so if you are not used to it, it will always seem like they only just scraped through.

• Like 1

Today it was time to set off back south. It would be rude not to have had a cruise in to the Inner Broad, it's such an underrated stretch of water. It was soon time to turn around, chug back down to the Bure and then towards Great Yarmouth. One of the things about hiring solo is marathon cruising stints don't work very well given there's no-one to share the helm with, hence I broke my journey at Stokesby. It was good to stretch my legs having not been able to disembark overnight. It's some years since I walked through the village and it's a pretty little place. Low water at Great Yarmouth today was around 2-30 and I arrived just before then. There were a few boats coming in the opposite direction but absolutely zero boats travelling my direction, either on the Bure or Breydon. Being low water there was almost 10 foot available at the bridges so no need to drop the screens. On Breydon though I realised I could have done with being a little later because full throttle gave me all of 5mph. I seemed to be at Berney Arms before long though and I broke the journey for a short time there. Mooring there proved a little challenging as the wind was pushing me away from the bank and by the time I'd left the helm seat and grabbed the ropes on the starboard side I'd drifted away too far from the quay. Back to the helm seat I went, readjusted and moored the second time of asking. Having checked the Reedham Ferry pub was open I decided to head there for my penultimate night tonight. 

• Like 4