Using Ovens On Boat

Andrewcook

When using Ovens  on Boat is not the same as at Home on Gas Pressure  so therfore  do you allow more cooking time such as Meat and for it is worth by Frozen Yorkshie as I found out doing your own Yorkshire let me down as to doing it home it Rose to the occasion perfectly. 

We tend to only cook breakfast onboard maybe twice during a week. We are on holiday so try to eat out as much as possible. I will say the little cooker we had on prince of light last year was fantastic for what it was, absolutely no idea what make tho. As for microwaves on boats, open the window and turf that into the river, can stand the things. Kim won a really good one at a works doo raffle two years ago and it just sit on the kitchen side gathering dust. We got chatting to a couple at gayes last year, they were venting there frustrations about the cooking facilities onboard there brinks tempo. All electric set up that kept cutting out half way through cooking a meal. So starting the engine was the only way they could finish what they were preparing. We take the ankle bitters on a fair few caravan holidays, havens etc. So the wife is quite use to the cookers and there limitations, there the same ones as fitted into boats. 

The first boat I ever cooked on had a flavel . It was superb, in fact I liked  it better than the "all bells  and whistles" oven at home. The worst one I've had on a boat was a Plastimo . I  particularly disliked the hob. the steel was a very poor quality and used to discolour after each use, particularly if  you used the grill. The only thing that  would get rid of the brown staining was Barkeeper's Friend, and copious quatities of elbow grease! The oven was extremely slow as well.

Carole

Well the answer is for builders not to fit boat cookers - its a con to believe you need special boat cookers - at 3 times the price.

Fit a standard gas cooker as all now have FFD but somehow this myth persists you must fit "special" boat cookers - it is not the case!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, marshman said:

Well the answer is for builders not to fit boat cookers - its a con to believe you need special boat cookers - at 3 times the price.

Fit a standard gas cooker as all now have FFD but somehow this myth persists you must fit "special" boat cookers - it is not the case!

Wish we had known that,  when we had the boat the new oven / hob cost us nearly £700 as had to be a marine version, whereas a standard gas cooker you could pick up for about £350 or less.

It depends on the boat if you can fit domestic or not, you'd never get a domestic into our boat due to size.

At the last BSSC I was told to try and hang on to the flavel venessa as long as possible due to modern boaty options all being a pile of pants in comparison, although like Andyg we only do bacon rolls on the boat cooker and let pubs do the rest, the oven is the bread bin as far as we're concerned.

I did fit a really nice Smev cooker to my last boat after the gas taps started failing badly and planned to swap over to the current one, all sale pics avoided to cooker and the description was the cooker we still have but when I got both boats side by side it was clear it wouldn't fit without major surgery so the new owners got a bonus of a nice cooker, SWMBO still has the hump about it.

• Like 1

We had a Smev hob and oven on our last boat and on theboat  we have yet to use. the oven was great but the hob a travesty of design with the nobs  in entirely the wrong position and very hard to clean areas also. The oven ands hob on our new boat are exactly the same but badged Dometic.

Carole