Womack Moorings

grounded

My wife Lyn and I hope to be returning to the Broads in a few weeks time for our 50th wedding anniversary. We honeymooned on the Broads so it is a bit special for us. We are just hoping our flights from NZ are not cancelled again. They have been cancelled 3 times already and, strangely enough, the prices have leapt by at least 25% with each re-booking. Odd that. Anyway, I digress.

We have many favourite places on the Broads, Womack being one of them, and we usually moor (stern on after much oversteering and over cursing) at the staithe. I have been reading on a Broads Facebook page of side-on moorings on the right on the way down to the staithe. The only BA moorings I can find listed are 3 on Womack island. Do any on here know of free moorings on the right? Apparently there is a good footpath down to the village (and the pub) and we do love a good walk.

Any information gratefully received.

Chris

• Like 2

Yes, lots of moorings at Womack. The BA moorings along the Dyke as you approach Hunter’s Yard, the BA ‘hidden’ island moorings and then Womack Staithe which is a parish mooring (stern-on mooring) with a moderate overnight charge. We prefer the BA moorings as we find stern on a bit ‘sardine’ like. We know lots of people who love the staithe moorings though.
Hope you have a wonderful time.

The bakery that has been mentioned is in a cottage on Horsefen Lane between Hunters Yard the staithe. When they are open they have a board beside the lane advertising what delights they have on offer that day. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, folks. We do love the staithe moorings, don't mind the charge or the packed in feeling, and I do like the view across to the island when I start fishing about 4am. I do think we will try those side on moorings, if only to have a chance to walk off the wonderful food served at the pub!

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RS2021 said:

If you want to guarantee a mooring at Womak I believe you can book one through the Big Shop. The mooring is used in the day for fuel/pump out and so is only bookable from 5.00 pm to 9.00 am

As above. To book an overnight mooring 17.00 hours till 09.00hrs ring The Big Shop at Womack Tel No 01692678193. It costs £10.00 overnight.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff, but I could not forget that! We arrive on 24th June after a couple of weeks with family in Yorkshire. I will either buy my license on line from here or from a post office there. Dangling a maggot or a piece of breadflake is what I most look forward to (well almost anyway). When we are not cruising, walking, eating, or sleeping, I am fishing. 

Chris