Fender Cleaner

Ray

Any recommendations for an effective fender cleaner?

Have just priced up a full new set and it seems a lot purely to look nice when the old ones are perfectly functional. She has 8 standard, 4 ball and a bow fender... £😱

1 minute ago, Ray said:

Have just priced up a full new set and it seems a lot purely to look nice when the old ones are perfectly functional. She has 8 standard, 4 ball and a bow fender... £😱

Do you need that many?  We have 4 sausage and 1 ball down each side of Norfolk Lady (plus two small sausage across the stern)

29036171-8D45-483C-AB46-13F1D472F743.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Elbow Grease Ray. Can be found @ £1 a bottle in cheap stores, also good for cleaning under the bonnet of cars.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiygYHUorT3AhVJgFAGHcLQD4gYABAfGgJkZw&ae=2&sig=AOD64_1DEbRJEeagcL_rXPi6jSumpufYNg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwih_vfTorT3AhWailwKHa9ICk8Q9aACKAB6BQgBEJwC&adurl=

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Do you need that many?  We have 4 sausage and 1 ball down each side of Norfolk Lady (plus two small sausage across the stern)

29036171-8D45-483C-AB46-13F1D472F743.jpeg

Good point, oddly our fender cleats are below the strake.

In your photo Norfolk Lady looks very well protected 👍

PXL_20220425_144240466.MP.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That looks impressive! Thank you 👍

17 minutes ago, Ray said:

In your photo Norfolk Lady looks very well protected 👍

PXL_20220425_144240466.MP.jpg

I’ve got to say you do seem to have a mottley mix of fenders ( no offence intended).  There were just three along each side when we bought ours and they did look quite new, so I just added two extra sausage (one per side) and a pair of balls (!) :default_coat:

Positioning of the fender eyes seems to vary between these boats, as does the handrail along the wheelhouse roof, which looks a little lower on yours than on ours.

• Like 1

I treated mine to a full set of new majoni's last year after having gelcoat work done to the freeboard as my old fenders were scuffed to heck and held all the crud, seemed wrong to see it all grinding into shiny grp, I went for the buy4 get 5 option and have loads now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Hello Ray the best way to clean fenders is to use magic sponges with a little washing up liquid and water.

Regards Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The current set came with the boat plus 2 loose ones in the locker to tie on ad hoc and a huge one towed in the water to protect the the swim platform (that was half white and half oil!)

I think just replacing the sausages and keeping the 2 blue balls may be the way to go.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Ray the best way to clean fenders is to use magic sponges with a little washing up liquid and water.

Regards Alan

Will definitely try that on ours.  I dont want to waste money or clog up the planet with more plastic when there’s nothing wrong with them other than a green patina 😁

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Will definitely try that on ours.  I dont want to waste money or clog up the planet with more plastic when there’s nothing wrong with them other than a green patina 😁

You could sell them to MM (you know who I mean)! 😉:default_hiding:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ray said:

You will often find this on boats which are used on waterways with locks.  It prevents the fender ropes being frayed by friction against stone lock sides.

For hull and fender cleaning I have always used JIF, for some reason now known as CIF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

You will often find this on boats which are used on waterways with locks.  It prevents the fender ropes being frayed by friction against stone lock sides.

For hull and fender cleaning I have always used JIF, for some reason now known as CIF.

That fits with the fact that our pulpit rail is on the salon roof. I understand this is because if it was fitted "normally" it could sustain damage from lock gates. I'm told she was in an Irish hire fleet originally.

• Like 1

Exactly.

A "pilot" rail like yours is much better on inland waterways as you have a rail close to hand but it does not obstruct when getting on and off or handling lines.

Most hire boats don't have pulpit rails, traditionally. Just something else to get knocked off!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray said:

That fits with the fact that our pulpit rail is on the salon roof. I understand this is because if it was fitted "normally" it could sustain damage from lock gates. I'm told she was in an Irish hire fleet originally.

Ours was definitely on the Irish waterways, but our fender eyes are on the inside edge of the toe-rail (?).

They’re still avail on The Shannon:  https://shannon-river.com/Boat.aspx?BoatID=45

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

My ' at home ' chandlers, about 5 miles away and my daughter in law's brother has recently joined them. Family discount 🤞

That would be very nice to have, their prices are competitive to start with 👍

• Like 1