And So It Starts,i Get Intimate With The Boat.

5 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Because the fuel pumps pushes rather than sucks I am thinking fuel is unable to run back past the pump.

I have no idea at this time ,of the condition of the pump,

however,I don’t think it would take much wear or dirt to create a condition where the NR valves( if there are any) to allow fuel to run back,

my van is loaded up for a weekend of maintenance and general planning to get the boat into a condition that I’d be happy to venture out onto the river.

maintenance plan this weekend,

1’ refit eberspacher,

2’ drain sediment filter/change fuel filter (take a view on remaining fuel in tank) decide whether to drain/clean tank

3’ depending on above add 100 litres diesel(pays to be on a farm:default_cool:)

4’ repair prop shaft centre bearing bearer

5’ remove raw water pump for overhaul.

6’ make a start on exhaust/ coolant gaskets

7’ suss out where new shower drain pump is going( currently goes into a Tupperware box with a float switch and bilge pump)

obviously all of the the above is likely to change when #1 goes belly up.:default_biggrin:

A fairly productive weekend ,

the eberspacher worked perfectly once refitted,

I also sorted the prop bearing bearer,it took about 4hrs and left me a bit itchy from the fibreglass,( I’ll get some pics when I’m aboard next)

a good afternoons work considering I’d been quoted £400 (2 days work ) by a “pro”:default_icon_clap:

I also managed to remove the raw water pump for some workshop attention.

DB9CF868-2F9A-4E5B-B220-0E31878C828A.jpeg

C3146E56-BECC-4A7A-AD2C-654405797111.jpeg

My parts department is getting bigger,:default_biggrin:

I reasoned ,if I am draining both the raw and engine  cooling systems ,I may as well replace all of the rubber hoses and gaskets in one go,

I’ll have a good look over the rest of the engine,no doubt I’ll be ordering another load of parts on Monday 

B538B375-C1E8-40E9-AB5B-BF33E07A5EA1.jpeg

• Haha 1

While you have got all those pipes out of the way it is a good time to withdraw the tube stack of the heat exchanger and check that it is not "furred up".  In the normal way, you cannot get access to do this.

I noticed earlier that the size of the raw water intake pipe to the pump has been reduced.  If you continue to get problems with engine cooling, it may well be worth fitting a larger pipe to allow a better flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1