Springer’s Retreat On The Rivers

kpnut

The morning dawned very calm  and dewy, if that’s a word. We took a walk in wellies to reccie the Worlingham mooring. I prefer the mooring at North Cove, partly due to there being a circular walk from there. And partly because vehicles are parked further away. 
I understand why the Waveney has been described as a lazy river. This morning it just looked so peaceful and content!

9A526673-241C-4786-A55C-760A372931F8.thumb.jpeg.1497ece8e09905cd88f3f6e819199ed0.jpeg

978A3628-3EBE-4820-8853-E1D4D861F2FA.thumb.jpeg.a820cf448db33088e0c8f6ecf9b1624e.jpeg

I could get well used to this routine of walk, then cooked breakfast, then cruise. Today’s cruise was to Oulton Dyke, which I now realise was further than expected. Looking at the map, it is probably about the same as St Benets to Wroxham, enough time for a good battery recharge and hot water. 
Our plan was to moor at the Carlton Marshes nature reserve pontoon, but it was full. There was plenty of space opposite at the Dutch Tea Gardens, but we went for a cruise down to Oulton Broad, hoping a mooring would pop up when we got back. No such luck, so we moored opposite, vowing to keep an eye out for a space. We kept remembering to look out while doing a diy job of toning down the cold white LED lights that make my boat look like an operating theatre, but then became so totally engrossed in some financial discussion, we missed our opportunity altogether!

Oh well, probably be ok in the morning. So we set off for a walk. Last time we’d been here,  we’d got a bit lost as there are footpaths everywhere, in all directions round here. This time, we found out where we’d gone wrong and knew exactly where we were until hitting a brand new housing estate. Footpaths again in all directions, some rerouted, some extra ones and we were soon very puzzled as to where we were, apart from knowing where West was from the slowly setting sun. After asking some youngsters who showed us on the map the general area where we were, but who disagreed with each other, a man spotted us with our map and put us right. Half hour later we were back at the boat, with a free space on the Carlton Marsh pontoon. A quick move over there gave me the chance to use my nav lights in earnest for the very first time!

So we’re set up for a walk round the nature reserve in the morning with an afternoon crossing of Breydon. 

• Like 10

And this morning, we explored the Carlton marshes nature reserve in two episodes.

Before breakfast we walked up to the river Waveney opposite the Waveney River Centre, enjoying a sit down at one of the bird hides to watch some Muntjac deer and a couple of herons. And after breakfast, a longer look round the rest of the reserve, including a visit to the visitor centre shop and a hot chocolate in the café. 

8AD477FA-C483-439A-A7DB-70A6193512B0.thumb.jpeg.9fc432ddfe7f6f16030f576277f520a5.jpeg

38282295-23AE-4EFE-BA07-AB1B66017CF8.thumb.jpeg.e4d4a7a38b5b151caa7f9148b22b1932.jpegThe reserve is really well laid out, with well signposted routes and a fairly clear map, well maintained paths, some of which are accessible by wheelchairs, mobility scooters etc, lots of events advertised, guided walks on Thursdays and Saturdays, and has many diverse habitats - all in all, an interesting place to visit. 100,000 visitors a year, hopefully with a similar impression. 
03959FCB-F621-427C-8C1F-B9345C8940CC.thumb.jpeg.8986980b892db74c2e55fff7e2fe9d3f.jpeg
But you won’t find much more there than at many other locations on the Broads - Upton marsh, Ludham marshes, etc etc (apart from better paths🫤), so if you can’t get to Carlton marshes and are pretty mobile, it’s still possible to get out and about from the moorings and see what there is to see. 

709D390D-23B0-4EFD-9390-5A5DD92535E4.thumb.jpeg.f3f8a5228e49860ecdbd61333830ccf3.jpeg

We timed our return to the mooring just in time to set off for Great Yarmouth and our journey over Breydon and up the Lower Bure was calm, relaxing and uneventful.

390C0E02-631D-4280-A953-1828EF1A6893.thumb.jpeg.4ef2891bc3fb7d6413827da6060eb31e.jpeg

1A48EEAA-FA1B-49C5-BDFF-CEF01D4D9E9F.thumb.jpeg.a3d2709164f8f4c01dbb6b90158c30f2.jpeg

Arriving at Acle Bridge about 3/4 hour before official sunset, but with an overcast sky, we moored up as far upstream as possible on the ‘Pedro’ side. I would have liked to press on to Upton, Boundary Farm or the Bure wild moorings, but thought better of it.
After having the southern rivers to ourselves, or so it seemed, I was amazed that every mooring, private and public, at Stokesby and all of Acle Bridge pub and BA moorings were taken, with none available either on the paying section of Pedros side. With three gaps further up. There were even boats moored at Hall Farm, below Acle bridge, where there are often none. 

We’re already planning our next trip south. Sorry Smoggy, we’re smitten!

• Like 10

23 hours ago, kpnut said:

a diy job of toning down the cold white LED lights

If you have festoon fittings sheridan marine do what they call a butterfly bulb, loads of light but a much nicer yellowed light and very little power, I changed all my saloon lights to them but had to solder/glue them into my old fluorescent fittings. 

The previous owner had fitted cold white LED strip lights. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole unit if you want to change, rather than just the LED strip inside and at about £30 a piece, I’m not spending that. They are very ugly units to be honest, so one day I might find something I like better. I’ll look at what you mention. 
For £11 I bought some cellophane designed for doing just the job of toning down the light. You buy it in varying ‘grades’ of toning down. I cut the strips and just slid them in behind the cover. The worst bug was getting inside the units. The screws were tiny, I need a magnetic screwdriver! 

• Like 2

Good to see St Benet’s Level drainage mill without the scaffolding of the last couple of years. 

306B8403-84A1-4081-A2FD-C22E447C011B.thumb.jpeg.0a6973c2b02c8f74c74b8735c1811f0e.jpeg

408755E4-9F3D-43A9-A777-89B24E3F1E63.thumb.jpeg.5c376a357075d97ca40175c32ecc7203.jpeg

I presume the sails get hoisted on now the scaffolding is out of the way. 🤞

Looks like a super job, many thanks to whoever has done the restoration. 

• Like 4

On 26/09/2023 at 20:16, kpnut said:

After having the southern rivers to ourselves, or so it seemed, I was amazed that every mooring, private and public, at Stokesby and all of Acle Bridge pub and BA moorings were taken, with none available either on the paying section of Pedros side. With three gaps further up. There were even boats moored at Hall Farm, below Acle bridge, where there are often none. 

It has been more than the usual shock to the system coming back north this year compared to previous years. The southern broads seemed incredibly quiet in May and July. 

22 hours ago, kpnut said:

The previous owner had fitted cold white LED strip lights. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole unit if you want to change, rather than just the LED strip inside and at about £30 a piece, I’m not spending that. They are very ugly units to be honest, so one day I might find something I like better. I’ll look at what you mention. 
For £11 I bought some cellophane designed for doing just the job of toning down the light. You buy it in varying ‘grades’ of toning down. I cut the strips and just slid them in behind the cover. The worst bug was getting inside the units. The screws were tiny, I need a magnetic screwdriver! 

Some screws aren't magnetic but you can use a tiny bit of blue tack and clean off.

In the garage we always used thick grease

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Thanks 1

The day started with trying to feed the dog and realising that before I take the boat out, I’ll have to buy some more dog food. Oops. I’ve changed to feeding a grain free biscuit on board as feeding raw was getting too faffy and taking up room in the fridge. Finlay seems more than happy with everything I give him and I’ve now found one that suits him at the business end too, so it suits me too. 
So a quick shopping trip, then yet another pumpout round at Richardsons Swan Quay (I went to Kingfisher Quay first off but it was so quiet round there that I wasn’t surprised to be told the lads were working on Swan). My WCs seem to take quite a bit of water to flush without issue and sure enough, I was told it was mainly water being pumped out. Expensive, but necessary. 

Our meander down the river took us as far as Griff’s corner above Neaves Mill. Mooring up took a bit of time as the wind was blowing the boat out. You need three hands when solo mooring with rhond anchors when it’s windy!

And the day passed very gently, thinking to myself a number of times when a procession of boats came past just about how busy the river is, chatting to folk who came into moor next to me, taking the dog out (he needs some serious work in readiness for the working season, better late than never!) and experimenting with some acoustic insulation round the water pump - that proved only very slightly effective. 

It would have been nice to have seen the forecast sun, it was hidden behind thin cloud all day and made the day quite chilly. 

• Like 9

It seems fairly quiet on the rivers today. A few boats passed me on the moorings. Then I set off for a walk, destination firstly Horning church staithe, then Horning itself. 
The church staithe was empty but two boats arrived a while later and on arrival at Horning staithe there were also two spaces. I should have come by boat! Full again now though. 

C2AA951F-1C83-4EAB-99AC-C5C1E62B2624.thumb.jpeg.6887ebb12698915dc95397053e19adaa.jpeg

• Like 5

That’s enough excitement for one day - on my way back down the track from Horning, I met the BA lad who’d been cutting reed earlier today. He said for me to watch out with the dog as there were some cattle out on the riverbank. I could see evidence of them as I walked on, but not them themselves. 
I did a slight detour on my way back down the riverbank to go out on the fen and see where he’d been using what looked like a silage cutter, chopping the reed up and blowing it into a hopper behind. In the second photo the one year old reed, cut last year is visible in the distance. It’s done on a 4yr rotation.

8235C236-7FCA-45BF-AD3A-469BE535DB5B.thumb.jpeg.0fe30fc7eb1239a2c2fc4e8dabd39d78.jpeg

805BEF95-7BEC-4EAC-9551-2B8EF644E8F9.thumb.jpeg.e95e67bfaa0af2e086ff362f8320898c.jpeg

C66843C5-43FC-4419-9C4A-B287122F615F.thumb.jpeg.3afc4967a74aa69501ff0bc5d6045ebf.jpeg

Once back at the boat I gave the dog an overdue haircut and very soon after, sure enough, 19 beautiful cattle, all shapes and sizes, came wandering along and past me towards Neaves Mill. 
Not knowing the name of anyone, I looked up Horning Hall and the search brought up Horning Hall Farm Cottages. So I rang the lady there, who called the farmer out and 20 minutes later, as the cows came wandering back up from the mill, we put the cows back on the marsh. They seemed quite content to go home. No photos cos I was busy!

The only reminder of the cows’ excursion is a load of flies that weren’t around this morning. 

• Like 6

And a big hello to Neil and Rambling Rosie as he went past. I was so engrossed in measuring the pivot arm of my wing mirror that I didn’t notice him until he hooted at me. Sorry Neil!

Very happy that I’ve sourced an exact match for my wing mirror, and arm, to potentially have one on the starboard side too. I’ll have to check the visibility first mind you. APUK for the mirror, eBay for the arm. I will no longer have to try to notice the wing mirror arrangement of every old van and tractor going by as I drive in my car.

Was it OldBerkshireBoy who asked me yonks ago about the wing mirror? If so, there’s the answer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kpnut said:

Very happy that I’ve sourced an exact match for my wing mirror, and arm, to potentially have one on the starboard side too

they look like the mirrors I had on my old bedford camper van many years ago. certainly some type of van mirror- or lorry

4 hours ago, grendel said:

they look like the mirrors I had on my old bedford camper van many years ago. certainly some type of van mirror- or lorry

Thanks Grendel.
After looking out in vain at all the cars/vans/land rivers etc when driving and realising that what I don’t need is anything with lights/indicators or remotely retractable bits, someone else mentioned Bedford campers. That prompted a more fruitful search. 
The old landrover defender ones are similar, but properly rectangular in shape. These are more curved top and bottom. If I hadn’t been successful, I had thought about finding a used pair of defender ones on eBay and replacing both. 

The moon over the Ant at Griffs corner last night. A very peaceful and mild evening.

B6EEE891-4DAB-4412-8D04-694447D1F069.thumb.jpeg.417c2a1cc97afc69a87bbc65f227431d.jpeg

The evening was enhanced by a really strong signal for doing the quiz from the new mast across the field on the Horning to Ludham road. 
There’s not even a tree in the way from it to me. 
The signal in Horning yesterday was good too.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Thanks Grendel.
After looking out in vain at all the cars/vans/land rivers etc when driving and realising that what I don’t need is anything with lights/indicators or remotely retractable bits, someone else mentioned Bedford campers. That prompted a more fruitful search. 
The old landrover defender ones are similar, but properly rectangular in shape. These are more curved top and bottom. If I hadn’t been successful, I had thought about finding a used pair of defender ones on eBay and replacing both. 

my even earlier transit had vertically split mirrors, 2 mirrors in 1 that were very good as one side gave a wider view while the other gave a good close view down the side of the van. I suspect that these were a dormobile sourced part as my transit was a dormobile conversion to a parcel van.

when I had the windscreen break, dormobile had the last 2 replacements in the country (and fortunately were only in folkestone), - they even had a team come out and fit it for me.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I suspect that these were a dormobile sourced part as my transit was a dormobile conversion to a parcel van.

All Ford UK Parcel vans were built at Martin Walters Dormobile factory in Folkestone. I remember lots of Ford parts were delivered to Dormobile regularly. panels frames and boxes and boxes of lights and I'm sure mirrors.  I was a Trade Plate delivery driver for Ford, At Dormobile Tile Kiln Lane most weekdays. Collecting and driving Parcel vans all over the UK and NI. Other duties included Ford fleet Press Cars. The rental company deliveries, Police cars And the royal visit Granada Estate fleet too. Even down to bare coach chassis during the Falklands conflict.(Boy was that cold in the winter)

The mirrors were affixed to the top panel above the front sliding doors and hung down on quite long arms. They were the right height to catch on 30mph lollipop signs so plenty of passenger-side ones were casualties of that.

All new vans were supplied in a khaki coloured primer never painted as lots of them went to conversion companies who turned them into buses, welfare buses with tail-lifts, Camper vans and lots more.

25 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

They were the right height to catch on 30mph lollipop signs so plenty of passenger-side ones were casualties of that.

I can imagine them getting caught up in low tree branches along lanes I used to use in Sussex. 

I like the idea of wing mirrors on a forward drive cruiser. It's always a struggle to know where the stern starboard corner is so it would be great to have a mirror on that side. I guess if they were added to hire boats they'd get knocked about so a rear camera might be a more practical, if more expensive option.

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I like the idea of wing mirrors on a forward drive cruiser. It's always a struggle to know where the stern starboard corner is so it would be great to have a mirror on that side. I guess if they were added to hire boats they'd get knocked about so a rear camera might be a more practical, if more expensive option.

they also provide a hazard when accessing the side deck, which could be an issue on a hire boat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grendel said:

they also provide a hazard when accessing the side deck, which could be an issue on a hire boat

You’re right. I leave mine loose enough that it moves inwards if I brush past it. But at least being on my own boat, I have got used to it and it rarely gets touched. 

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's always a struggle to know where the stern starboard corner is so it would be great to have a mirror on that side. I guess if they were added to hire boats they'd get knocked about so a rear camera might be a more practical, if more expensive option.

That’s the corner I have trouble with, although I can usually judge it about right by ‘gut feeling’. I’m too short to see out of the sunroof and don’t dare stand on my helm seat as it swivels!

I do have a reversing camera, fitted by the previous owners but it doesn’t quite show the corners. Great for knowing where the quay is when going stern-on and best used for just seeing who I’m holding up behind me on the river. 
It makes everything look further away than it is, and the wing mirror makes everything look nearer, takes a bit of getting used to. 

• Like 2