Where Can I Find Water 30th Dec To 2nd Jan?

YnysMon

Hi,

We are next on Moonlight Shadow on 30th Dec. We are moored at Horning Pleasurecraft and they are closed over the Christmas period until 3rd January, and they have informed berth holders that the water will be switched off during that period.

Apart from Ranworth (where I gather the water is available year round) where else can we fill up with water? Malcolm (Mouldy) has tipped me off that Ferry Marina is hiring over the Christmas period, and I can see they have boats available for a 31st December start, so presumably they'll be open on 30th as well.

On the northern broads I'm aware that the hoses will have been removed at Neatishead and Barton Turf, but I'm not sure about Gaye's Staithe and Acle.

There's a possibility, depending on the weather, that we might go south on Saturday 31st, as the tides make it do-able in daylight for the first few days of our trip. Is there anywhere else that we can get water down south apart from Loddon? I'm guessing that the Oulton Broad Yacht Station and Beccles Yacht Stations will be closed, but unsure whether we'll be able to get water nevertheless. 

The Ferry House at Surlingham will have, I’m sure Paul will have at Swancraft, but you may need the hose from MS.  Fairly certain that Oulton and Beccles will have water available - give them a ring to check.  There are still the taps in Horizon’s old yard at Acle.  The hoses will have been removed, but not sure whether they’re turned off, but Bridgecraft may be worth a try.

43 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Simpsons? 

I hope Barton Turf will still be available especially as its now a dedicated water point. Really miss being able to moor there 😞

Barton Turf wasn't available last winter - they had removed the hose unfortunately. I find it really handy too when it's available.

35 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Sutton Staithe

If you can get moored. 

Cross fingers. Now I think about it, we did get water from there early last year. It was very muddy though and, as the muddy bank slopes down slightly toward the quay heading, felt a bit hazardous. 

27 minutes ago, SwanR said:

What about Potter Heigham? 

I was wondering about Potter too. Is that normally available all year?

Last time we were at Oulton Broad in winter they were using portable hose reels which are connected to the water points on the pontoon. Normally they are there in the morning in winter. Reedham taps are off for the first time I've known. Goodchilds?? Can't remember if the hose is removed at Loddon. We've never had a problem in winter apart from last couple of weeks when many hoses were frozen. Used with care most water tanks hold more than you think. We were concerned last week but it turned out we had more water on board than we expected. Mrs Nog has long hair but tends to turn the shower off when washing her hair then turning it on again to rise off which saves water.

Drink beer instead of water is another option :default_norty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That's disappointing. :default_icon_cry: Mind you, Graham has nixed our going down south anyway. 

Hit Mrs Nog's login by mistake, grrrrrrr.....

That boat will have a big tank, six berth? Unless you're having a bath every day I can't see you running out in 4 days :default_biggrin:

Ferry have a portable hose so no chance of it freezing. As it's holiday time that might limit your opportunities but I really think if you make sure you are full before you set off and even get one top up I can't see you running out. Mrs Nog and I were out for 10 days and filled up twice. And no, we weren't whiffy  :default_norty:

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

And no, we weren't whiffy  :default_norty:

We have gone quite a few days in the past without filling up. Our second outing on Moonlight Shadow coincided with one of those named gales that went on for several days. We managed to top up at the Ferryhouse at Surlingham the day before the storm hit (on a Saturday) and then didn’t move the boat until Wednesday, and didn’t run out of water.

This time the previous occupants left in a hurry (due to an emergency at home) and we don’t know what the ‘water levels’ are like in our tank.

We don’t think (hope?) we are whiffy either, but we aren’t fans of taking showers on board during the winter months. 

• Like 1

Swancraft did fit water guages to some boats but most don't have them so sadly it is pretty much guesswork. Water tanks can be installed under double berths and do hold a lot of water. The old standard hire advice used to be to top up daily but this is really over cautious. I think you are based at Horning now? If your home yard doesn't have water there is Southgates and Ferry Marina, I also believe Boulters have good hours in winter. I'd be willing to bet that if you can fully top up after the last occupants you won't run out in 4 days and now everything is thawed (hopefully) you have more options. Don't be put off going down South, maybe do that first? It's a magical time to be out. As mentioned we are just back from a fabulous 10 days, it was chilly but the rivers were deserted, frosty mornings, magical scenery. Breydon Water was like a mill pond. Enjoy!!! :91_thumbsup: And report back please! :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

If you get North of Wroxham bridge I'm fairly certain the water hose opposite the stern on moorings will be on, but it is a £1 for 6 mins I think.

This is the boy 

Don't forget to press the start button :default_dunce:

The water flow is quite good so the time shouldn't be an issue 

P1130602.JPG

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

This is the boy 

Don't forget to press the start button :default_dunce:

The water flow is quite good so the time shouldn't be an issue 

Yes, we have used that in the past and found the water flow excellent. Somehow I don't think we'll be making it under the bridge this trip unless the pilot service is still running. I thought the pilot service was from after Easter to October only, certainly when we were hiring that's what the information board said, but the current online information about the pilot service just says it runs 8.30am to 5pm daily. Does that mean it's operating during winter nowadays?

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I assume it's just during the season although the yard staff are still around and were very helpful with us :91_thumbsup: they might be able to take you through if you ask but the levels were quite high last week so probably academic. 

Yes, we have occasionally experienced very low water levels during the winter months, but in my it usually seems to occur for just a day or two between occurrences of very high water levels so, personally, I wouldn't risk going under any low bridges in case we couldn't return. 

• Like 1