Despairing

This is what I have.

Had her for almost 20 years so there must be something good about them. I do know this boat and IIRC she is in good condition.

Good points.

Gets under all the bridges except THAT blooming bridge.

Split sliding roof so almost like a cabriolet car when both are fully back. You can of course choose which one to open depending on wind direction.

One level so no upping and downing.

Wide beam so very stable.Β 

Hardly any steering input needed to keep a steady course.

Nice sociable front saloon for having guests.

Ideal for 2 couples as both have en suite and still have access to galley and saloon when the others are still turned in.

Big windows for a good view out.

Downsides

Low down so limited view over reeds.

Big windows can be a problem with misting up. Also people can see in. I have fitted a film over all windows except front saloon ones so have like privacy glass.

Difficult view when stern mooring. I stand on helm seat and operate controls with my feet.

Needs a bow thruster but I see she already has bow and stern fitted.

If you are taller mind your head at the doorways. I promise you will only do it twice.😫

Apart from that the fact we have had one of these all that time must say something about the boat type. In fact when we considered changing her a few years ago we were only going to change to a newer model.

I think Meg has the engine in the middle cabin like ours. When we first got her ex hire fleet the engine could be a bit intrusive but I fitted sound deadening and even our old Lister was quiet enough. Now have a Nanni.

Price seems pretty good too. I was offered a lot more than that early last year for mine when prices were silly.

Any other questions please ask away either on this thread or by PM

Β 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Still looking for a boat as I have over last couple of years. Pointed this morning in direction of one this morning would like to see others thoughts. Will keep mine to myself for now.

https://www.watersidemarinesales.co.uk/boat/alphacraft-34-meg/

I was told by a well known boatyard owner that if a boat had fitted covers over the windows outside it was because the windows leaked?!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

one of my favourite boats,Β Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β a favourable spec, but the photos from waterside are very poor,Β  no shots of the toilet and shower area or the rear cabin,Β  go have a look, it is the only wayΒ 

• Like 1

It wouldn’t be for me, aside from the fact that I’m not a big fan of β€˜bathtubs.’ Β There will always be things to do to a used boat to bring it to an individual’s standards. Β For me, there are two major issues with this one - 30hp may be a little under powered for a Broads cruiser, especially if you intend to cruise the southern rivers, where tidal rise and fall will affect the boat’s performance. Β Secondly, I’m not convinced on the practicality of a composting toilet.

Unless you have a boat built, using a mould that you like and getting it fitted out to your requirements, finding something that satisfies all of the items on your wish list, will probably mean that you’ll never find a boat to suit. Β You need to decide in what areas you are prepared to compromise, find something that comes close to your desired style and specification and make necessary changes over time to get it how you like it.

51 minutes ago, Happy said:

I was told by a well known boatyard owner that if a boat had fitted covers over the windows outside it was because the windows leaked?!

Not sure about that.

I would think it would be cheaper to have the windows re sealed than have covers made.

Although not for me I do know some who has exterior covers on their boat and swears by them. Apparently cuts out a lot of condensation and is great insulation for winter cruising.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

It wouldn’t be for me, aside from the fact that I’m not a big fan of β€˜bathtubs.’ Β There will always be things to do to a used boat to bring it to an individual’s standards. Β For me, there are two major issues with this one - 30hp may be a little under powered for a Broads cruiser, especially if you intend to cruise the southern rivers, where tidal rise and fall will affect the boat’s performance. Β Secondly, I’m not convinced on the practicality of a composting toilet.

Unless you have a boat built, using a mould that you like and getting it fitted out to your requirements, finding something that satisfies all of the items on your wish list, will probably mean that you’ll never find a boat to suit. Β You need to decide in what areas you are prepared to compromise, find something that comes close to your desired style and specification and make necessary changes over time to get it how you like it.

The 30 hp is on a shaft so I would think it would be quite enough.

Mine has and had only 8 hp more and can break the speed limits in all tidal conditions apart from a full ebb when transiting South to North through Great YarmouthΒ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy said:

That sounds like he was suggesting that is always the case? Depends on the context but easily sorted by asking the question, do the windows leak? I wouldn't let it put me off going to have a look.

Covers on the windows will protect interior fabrics from fading when the boat is left unused for long periods. Curtains and cushions will fade unevenly depending on the mooring. As FF says, cheaper to reseal unless they're all cracked, but that'll be easy to spot!Β :default_jumelles:

Perhaps in reality you are looking for something to prevent you actually buying a boat!

So what if a window leaked - get it resealed! And that is unlikely to be the only thing in an almost 30 year old boat - you cannot get perfection in a boat! Bit like buying a house - there is always a compromise!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

Not sure about that.

I would think it would be cheaper to have the windows re sealed than have covers made.

Although not for me I do know some who has exterior covers on their boat and swears by them. Apparently cuts out a lot of condensation and is great insulation for winter cruising.

Yup, just had some fitted on mine. Β Plus they keep the light out as I need my beauty sleep!

My Alpha is a 42 and until recently had 38hp Perkins which had seen better days so probably around 30hp now. Β Managed 7.5 mph when I tried a brief burst and has plenty of stopping power. Unless you have a boat built from scratch your unlikely to find a 100% perfect one.Β 
I’d just go and take a look, poke around, take a trip out and if it feels right get a survey. Β Whatever you buy make sure you have a slush fund for repairs and improvements! Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Had her for almost 20 years so there must be something good about them. I do know this boat and IIRC she is in good condition.

Good points.

Gets under all the bridges except THAT blooming bridge.

Split sliding roof so almost like a cabriolet car when both are fully back. You can of course choose which one to open depending on wind direction.

One level so no upping and downing.

Wide beam so very stable.Β 

Hardly any steering input needed to keep a steady course.

Nice sociable front saloon for having guests.

Ideal for 2 couples as both have en suite and still have access to galley and saloon when the others are still turned in.

Big windows for a good view out.

Downsides

Low down so limited view over reeds.

Big windows can be a problem with misting up. Also people can see in. I have fitted a film over all windows except front saloon ones so have like privacy glass.

Difficult view when stern mooring. I stand on helm seat and operate controls with my feet.

Needs a bow thruster but I see she already has bow and stern fitted.

If you are taller mind your head at the doorways. I promise you will only do it twice.😫

Apart from that the fact we have had one of these all that time must say something about the boat type. In fact when we considered changing her a few years ago we were only going to change to a newer model.

I think Meg has the engine in the middle cabin like ours. When we first got her ex hire fleet the engine could be a bit intrusive but I fitted sound deadening and even our old Lister was quiet enough. Now have a Nanni.

I think Barnes Brinkcraft should get you to do their brochure descriptions! Β :default_stinky:

Seriously though, I agree. Β These boats are an evolution of experience, designed to be really adaptable to cruising on the Broads. Β I have memories of so many happy times in a boat such as this, and not only on the Broads.

As Neil says, the lack of a centre cockpit means you don't get so much of a view when in the lower reaches towards Yarmouth but apart from that, what is missing??

I advise you to just make sure before buying, that you get an inspection by a surveyor, to make sure that there are no unforeseen mechanical problems "lurking under the floorboards".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I think Barnes Brinkcraft should get you to do their brochure descriptions! Β :default_stinky:

Seriously though, I agree. Β These boats are an evolution of experience, designed to be really adaptable to cruising on the Broads. Β I have memories of so many happy times in a boat such as this, and not only on the Broads.

As Neil says, the lack of a centre cockpit means you don't get so much of a view when in the lower reaches towards Yarmouth but apart from that, what is missing??

I advise you to just make sure before buying, that you get an inspection by a surveyor, to make sure that there are no unforeseen mechanical problems "lurking under the floorboards".

Don't think Barnes have any of these anymore. 😁

I did accompany a former moderator on this site when he test drove his from BBC He is taller than me and a bit thinner on top. He did remove the top layer of skin on his head on the front door πŸ˜₯

Hi

Thanks for the replies. First yes Waterside pics only show a portion of the boat nothing from galley backwards.

New upholstery maybe pity they could not get any to fit correctly. The fact there was pictured an old oil filled radiator

I assumed no heating other than that think borne out as not mentioned anywhere in the specs.

Regards engine size I have looked up a few of these and seem a right old variation of makes and sizes.

I just thought it looked a bit pricey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Perhaps in reality you are looking for something to prevent you actually buying a boat!

So what if a window leaked - get it resealed! And that is unlikely to be the only thing in an almost 30 year old boat - you cannot get perfection in a boat! Bit like buying a house - there is always a compromise!!!

If I was not looking for a boat would not be on here!

4 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Hi

Thanks for the replies. First yes Waterside pics only show a portion of the boat nothing from galley backwards.

New upholstery maybe pity they could not get any to fit correctly. The fact there was pictured an old oil filled radiator

I assumed no heating other than that think borne out as not mentioned anywhere in the specs.

Regards engine size I have looked up a few of these and seem a right old variation of makes and sizes.

I just thought it looked a bit pricey.

Think you need to read the specs again.🫣

Oil filled radiator are often used as a supplement to blown warm air heating or as an alternative when on shore power.

BBC do still have the Braemore former Moore's Boats don't they?

36 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

BBC do still have the Braemore former Moore's Boats don't they?

Now sold.

47 minutes ago, Bogart said:

It does say in the description that warm air heating is fitted and there is a heater exhaust under the saloon window on the starboard side.

Braemore (ex Moores/Barnes Brinkcraft) was on the market, through Norfolk Boat Sales, for 60k when it was first advertised, directly out of the hirefleet. Β Obviously, any price is subject to offers, so unless you speak to the purchaser and if they are open to tell you, no one knows what the final sales price was.

On 30/01/2023 at 15:13, Happy said:

I've been on this boat a couple of times and like Flying Fortress, know the owner, I've never heard mention of leaking window though. The stern and forward 'well' covers were made last year and I think the side window covers were added as an extra and when used in the winter stop condensation I believe. I think the stern thruster was also new last year.

A cover over the forward access well is a good idea on these boats for the winter, as the floor level is below water level. This means it has to drain into the bilge and run along the hollow of the keel moulding to the stern, where it is pumped out through and automatic bilge pump, so there must be reliable shore power and battery charger.

I have the Alpha 36 version, which is the same mould but modified in 2002 to give a small tern bathing platform which improves access when moored starn on. My engine is a 38hp Beta with a shaft. Basically the same block as the Nanni as they are both Kubota based. It can achieve all speed limits in all tides.

Great boats that get under all bridges except PH, the advantage with a private boat, which doesn't have access to the hire fleet yards, is that you can always find a mooring at Wroxham.Β 

For stern on mooring I use the stern camera, which I consider a must.

4 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Many boats have modestyΒ  covers over the windscreen and side windows, thisΒ  also acts as uv protection for furnishings.

I usually take our off Ranworth Breeze when going on board and do not put it back on until the end of my allocation.

Regards

Alan

Sorry Alan I thought modesty covers were under wear. I now know why people only glance at our boat once.:default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and PargeΒ 

• Haha 4