BSS

ExSurveyor

Renewal again, seems like it was only done 2 years ago :default_biggrin:

Will Kirby booked for Tuesday.

Renewed fire extinguishers, how much !!!   B and Q £30 cheaper than Screwfix for the same thing.

Batteries changed in smoke detectors and CM detector.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday although this will be his fourth visit so we shouldn't have any surprises.

Fire stick installed on the tv although I could do with a longer hdmi lead to get the stick thing above the tv to get a better wifi signal.

Next job is to take the loo out to replace the flush valve, nice.

An added job is to insulate the blown air pipes after reading about the improvements others have achieved. I think I am going to use a couple of dismantled cylinder jackets and tape as access is a bit tricky.

Might even find time to go for a run out in the Shetland if the sun shines.

• Like 4

Apparently so, it is an indication only.

From memory they should be serviced every year after the first five years..

The old ones were purchased in 2015 for the 2015 inspection and also passed for the 2019 inspection.

The label says service every year but guaranteed for 10 years.

In theory they should scrape through two 4 yearly inspections.

For powder ones they should be turned upside down and banged with a rubber mallet once a year to stop the powder becoming compacted.

I used to take the old ones to work for training the staff on fighting a fire and being confident in using an extinguisher.

9 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

The old ones were purchased in 2015 for the 2015 inspection and also passed for the 2019 inspection.

For powder ones they should be turned upside down and banged with a rubber mallet once a year to stop the powder becoming compacted.

I used to take the old ones to work for training the staff on fighting a fire and being confident in using an extinguisher.

Many years ago when doing my fire safety for events training the instructor always discharged a Co2 extinguisher as he said people who had never let one off before had been so surprised by the noise that they dropped them. On the final course they said they did not bother with doing that any more ( different instructor of course) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Oops. When Will did mine two years ago he was more interested in the sizes of them and how they totalled up. I can't remember the exact ruling but not long to wait now and he'll tell you. :default_smiley-angelic002:

He was happy to see mine all in the green. 

• Like 1

when we used to do fire training they would always bring along their fire trailer and people would all get a go at extinguishing a real fire, particularly they would put a smoke bomb inside an old monitor and set it off so people could train against the likeliest of fire types encountered in the office (along with the waste bin).

that way you could instantly weed out anyone from the fire marshalls that was physically afraid of fire (its a known thing) people can operate fir extinguishers, but until faced with real flame you dont know whether they will or wont tackle the blaze, that said, policy was anything bigger than a waste paper bin fire we were told to leave to the fire brigade.

they would also demonstrate the water on an oil fire effect.

• Like 1

When I had a job as second in command of a Hire shop chain. I was also deemed as chief of the unloading gang for the Butane and Propane we sold.

Myself and my deputy for unloading were sent on the fire training course from the supplier of the gas.

Rolling bottles across the concrete with flames gushing from the outlet was not fun trying to put that out. most spectacular though was a standing 47kg propane bottle with the tap fully open and alight,  wearing one glove going up from behind and just turning off the tap. No, it doesn't get hot as the flame doesn't start burning until about 2cm from the nozzle when it has oxygen mixed with it.

Lived in Kent course was in Wymondham, as was the fire station for the fire fighting, hotel in Norwich for two nights had a whale of a time. 

When one of the 47kg bottles goes bang inside a burning chip van it's a different matter, saw it happen at the bulldog bash many years back, the flare out the top was huge but the heat from the rest of the burning van got to it, the bottle took out out 2 other stands when it went pop.

Luckily everyone had got well away by that time so no-one hurt.

Passed with flying colours.

It is the 4th time Will has inspected this boat for me.

I asked Will about the fire extinguishers and basically it needs to have pressure, not be damaged, and not to be partially discharged.

I am glad I changed mine as a 7 year old extinguisher is probably pushing it, if it was in a commercial setting it would have been serviced 6 times by now.

Will really is a nice guy.

• Like 2