More Acle Memories

Started my first trip of the year today aboard Conway Bridge 1 from Bridgecraft, aboard for a week with my daughter Keira. I'm going to do my blot a bit differently this time around, being briefer whilst aboard and then more detail when I get back. Time aboard is precious, there always seems a lot to pack in, so it makes sense to enjoy the time rather than spend a lot of time writing about it. Today was an 0430 alarm call for travelling, arrival at Sainsburys Thorpe at 11, picked Keira up from Acle station at 1330 then boat takeover. Bridgecraft people were brilliant as before, away at 15-10 for relaxed chug to Cockshoot tonight. Absolutely hammered with rain and cold miserable wind but much better forecast for the rest of the week. Special plans tomorrow, all will become clear. 

• Like 14

Sunny today, thank goodness. Today we're marking 10 years since my late father accompanied me boating for the final time by retracing the same route we did together on his 70th birthday in April 2013. He passed away late May 2013. The route from Cockshoot is to Ranworth, then Neatishead (although it's Gayes because the moorings are closed) then Sutton tonight with a meal at the hotel. Chatted with two forumites so far, being Davydine (David) at Ranworth and Cambridge Cabby (Simon) here at a peaceful Gayes.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

We had a chug to Neatishead at lunchtime. You can't really tell from the photo but the work looks less than half complete.

IMG-20230402-WA0006.jpg

Certainly progress in last week or so the side in the pic had not even got its new steel piling then now just back side to get its timbers + paths to reinstate & with dry week could soon be finished

• Like 1

Headed back down the Ant this morning, Great Yarmouth - bound. It was very very quiet with just two boats moored at How Hill, one at Ludham Bridge and very few on the move. We didn't stop until Acle and our home boatyard. We needed water, a replacement fender and batteries for the TV remote, all of which cheerfully provided. We moved over to the free moorings for a dog walk and a break then set off south. The weather has been bright but cold. We saw virtually nobody on the lower Bure and only 10 boats moored at Great Yarmouth Yacht Station. Breezed across Breydon and stopped tonight at Burgh Castle. We have it all to ourselves. 

• Like 7

Very chilly night and frosty start. Managed to stay warm in bed, it's just the getting up bit I don't like. Left Burgh just before 9 having seen no boats pass since our arrival. Lovely relaxed, sunny cruise with the tide up the Waveney, didn't see a boat for the first half hour. Now at North Cove.

20230404_112758.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Lovely! How are you finding the boat?

I'd never really 'got' the Diamond 35 until (ironically) being an owner on Thunder and finding myself using the interior helm a lot of the time. Suddenly the sit/stand helm position made a lot more sense and I realised what a clever boat the 35 is, a nice layout with quite a lot of space and it can go anywhere on the system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Lovely! How are you finding the boat?

I'd never really 'got' the Diamond 35 until (ironically) being an owner on Thunder and finding myself using the interior helm a lot of the time. Suddenly the sit/stand helm position made a lot more sense and I realised what a clever boat the 35 is, a nice layout with quite a lot of space and it can go anywhere on the system.

I think it's an excellent all-rounder, John. It's a very easy boat to live with, having the forward drive-style dual sliding roofs but with a central cockpit-saloon. Both cabins are spacious and both are ensure. Conway is a basic boat from a modern perspective (no hook-up, no microwave, no carpets) but very comfortable and very good value for money.

• Like 3

Left North Cove after a decent break and continued to Beccles. Made a brief water stop at the Yacht Station as we weren't sure where we were finishing up. Continued through the bridge and enjoyed one of my favourite stretches to Geldeston Lock. Paused for a short dog walk then back to the Yacht Station tonight. Snooker at the Snooker Centre this evening.

20230404_151616.jpg

20230404_153703.jpg

20230404_155857.jpg

• Like 14

Another sunny, peaceful day. Left Beccles and headed for Oulton. Had a very relaxing lunchtime stop at OBYS. By coincidence, Lightning was booked on the space next to us and who should arrive but vlogger Dave Whitworth and his wife, Christine. I'm an avid follower of Dave's videos so it was great to meet them both. We continued on our way, Reedham-bound. Eating at The Ship this evening.

• Like 3

That’s good…more vlogs from Dave in the offing then. I’ve been missing the Admiral, but gather work has been busy for him. I would guess that having to edit vlogs gets a bit wearisome after time, so we are lucky to have some vloggers. 

• Like 1

Acle memories.   I can remember turning up at Acle in early 1992 aboard a connoisseur cruiser which was promised me was luxury.  Huh if that was luxury you could keep it.  It was beyond awful.  The heating did not work,  it was April.  The fridge broke down.   We spent 2 of our 4 days waiting for engineers.  There was a wardrobe about 6 inches wide,  it was a joke.  We went to Stracey arms for an evening meal which I dressed up for,  to be greeted by an empty room and someone got us some chips.  Brilliant I can tell you nearly the end of a beautiful relationship. 

Yes they are my early memories.    Yes some 38 years later we are still together. 

• Like 3

The last holiday I had with my late father was hiring from Horizon Craft. I hired from Horizon on 3 other occasions with my children and then my first hire from Bridgecraft was with my daughter 2 years ago.

Rainy to begin with today. We were planning to finish at Great Yarmouth but first of all had a run to Loddon. The Chet has encroachment of reeds into the channel in a few too many places for my liking. Moored at the staithe for water and a short walk then back down the Chet and to Reedham Ferry. Left there about 2-45 with low water at Great Yarmouth being 5-15. We bowled along at low revs on the tide, doing about 9mph on Breydon. Nice to stop overnight at Great Yarmouth after all these years - I've never done so before.

20230406_110200.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . . . . .The Chet has encroachment of reeds into the channel in a few too many places for my liking . . . . . . . .

Good job the Blessed Authority are maintaining navigation with the funds they’re squeezing out of us . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or not, as appears to be the case down The Chet.

They dredged the Chet not that long ago…I know because we we’re delayed getting past their works, and you could see all the fresh spoil that had been dumped on the bank along the Hardley Flood bank just 12 months ago.