Hire Boat Reviews/tours/walkthroughs

catcouk

A few years ago, I started a playlist on YouTube to try and capture as many of the boat reviews or walkthroughs as I could find. I just did an update to it and thought I would post it again here. I think I can claim personal credit for only two of them but I thought it was useful to have them all on a list.

I think these videos are great for giving people (especially newbies) a good idea of what the different boat choices are like. It also satisfies that nosey curiosity!

If anyone knows of any other videos like these, please do let me know and I'll add them to the playlist!

• Like 1

Looks good, used to love watching these when Robin was doing it. 

You seem a natural at it, shame to see you stopped (I guess covid got in the way), perhaps time to dig out the video editing software out again?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Looks good, used to love watching these when Robin was doing it. 

You seem a natural at it, shame to see you stopped (I guess covid got in the way), perhaps time to dig out the video editing software out again?

My third review is planned for this week (hopefully published during next week) now that I'm back out. You can expect a review of Spring Horizon 2 very shortly.

Also, thanks. I do enjoy it and Robin's were definitely an inspiration for doing it. I wanted to give something back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to book Contessa......

Shh!

(I saw her whilst on the handover handling bit. The yard guy said he hates her because she is so difficult to get on or off. Of course, I defended her honour but can happily say to everyone else that is just another reason NOT to hire my favourite boat...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, catcouk said:

Shh!

(I saw her whilst on the handover handling bit. The yard guy said he hates her because she is so difficult to get on or off. Of course, I defended her honour but can happily say to everyone else that is just another reason NOT to hire my favourite boat...)

Having hired Contessa I agree stern access isn't it's strongest point but no issues for side-on moorings. It's still a great boat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Having hired Contessa I agree stern access isn't it's strongest point but no issues for side-on moorings. It's still a great boat.

The crew guy admitted that they rarely get to drive boats (as a staff perk they are allowed to take out any boat of their choice for one day a year). So, when you think about it, all they really experience is stern mooring.

10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's what has always kept the price low, in reality. Some people just realistically couldn't consider hiring her.

If she had the rear end of Skyway or Ranworth Breeze then it'd be quite a different matter.

Here she is at Pye's Mill in 2021 being just the right height....

2F6C4DE3-A646-461F-93BA-4E152301E7B6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here is my latest contribution to the world of YouTube boat reviews. If I seem a bit harassed during it, that is because I was desperately trying to keep my son out of shot (for privacy reasons) although, to be fair, he quite rightly was reminding me of things I had missed!

(At the time of posting, YouTube was still processing the video for HD in case that makes a difference for you).

• Like 5

16 hours ago, catcouk said:

Here is my latest contribution to the world of YouTube boat reviews. If I seem a bit harassed during it, that is because I was desperately trying to keep my son out of shot (for privacy reasons) although, to be fair, he quite rightly was reminding me of things I had missed!

(At the time of posting, YouTube was still processing the video for HD in case that makes a difference for you).

We hired Sapphire 3 a few years back and that was a 6 berth on the same hull.  We found the beds two small for two adults so had a cabin each.

The boat is showing its age with the colour scheme but it looked very clean and serves a place in the current market. 

• Like 2

Everytime I see a review of one of the “classic bathtubs” I can’t help but feel immense respect for the designer of what must have been at the time a very radical boat design and one which has not only lasted the test of time but has become the basis for every low airdraft Broads boat built since their inception.

• Like 2

Having been on Kate’s ‘bathtub’ yesterday, it was a lot of nostalgia and fond memories sitting in the well deck in the sun. I don’t think Ive been on one since I was a kid. Love the layout and space, especially the outdoor space. I can see why my parents hired Bermudas and Caribbeans all those years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Everytime I see a review of one of the “classic bathtubs” I can’t help but feel immense respect for the designer of what must have been at the time a very radical boat design and one which has not only lasted the test of time but has become the basis for every low airdraft Broads boat built since their inception.

I’m sure that someone will come along and tell me otherwise, but I believe that Wilds led the way with their Caribbean cruisers back in the sixties, although the Dawncraft DC30 must have been introduced a round the same time.  It was certainly the start of a kind of revolution in Broads craft design.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I very much enjoyed your Spring Horizon review, Andy which was informative and entertaining. Maybe next time you could stay behind the camera and get your son to do the commentary🙂

There is an outtake with exactly that! He remembered to point out the warm air heating duct though...

• Like 2