Wilko’s Closing In Lowestoft

SwanR

We live in Worksop where their headquarters and distribution centre are so it has been a real blow to our town. About 1500 job losses expected in a town of 45k. 

Looks like our high street store is staying open for now at least.

That must be a real blow Cal to your local community. 

B&M were not likely to want the Lowestoft Wilko’s as they opened a store round the corner only a few years ago. I think that was on a site that had previously been BHS. 

I do wonder though whether Wilko’s closing will give the local council the chance to finally clear up what is left of the old car park that linked to this building.

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

That must be a real blow Cal to your local community. 

B&M were not likely to want the Lowestoft Wilko’s as they opened a store round the corner only a few years ago. I think that was on a site that had previously been BHS. 

I do wonder though whether Wilko’s closing will give the local council the chance to finally clear up what is left of the old car park that linked to this building.

B&M have a shop directly opposite the Worksop Wilko store so I don't expect they will want that one either.

• Sad 1

I always felt that Wilko were very similar to Woolworths, and IIRC they took over a lot of the old Woollies stores when they went under ?

It is a great shame that they have gone, and I did buy stuff from them, but I'm not sure what their differentiator/USP was compared to B&M, the larger supermarkets that have DIY sections etc.

5 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The rapid rise in consumers purchasing online has,I feel , consigned the high street as was to history .

Many of the high street chain stores were far too slow off the mark as far as an online presence is concerned allowing Amazon/eBay and similar to grab the market place .

Not to mention the ‘out of town retail parks, where parking is free and major stores seem to have branches.  There are several such sites around Northampton, where we used to live and they continue to be busy, whilst the town centre has all but died.

Anyone who lives close to Rushden Lakes Retail Park will know how popular that is and how much it’s damaged local towns.

We can all bemoan the death of the high street, but most of us are guilty of shopping at supermarkets, instead of local shops, at retail parks or online.  We therefore, must all bear responsibility for what’s happening now, including the change to a cashless society, which was probably led by retail outlets refusing to take cash through the early stages of the pandemic and forcing us to use debit cards or our phones instead.

• Like 1

A big part of the reason for town centres dying is not just the fact of out-of-town retail parks, but due to local councils "taxing" car drivers off the road with parking charges, low emission zones, low traffic neighbourhoods etc etc

Of course there would be consequences to these schemes, if only someone in authority would have half a brain to realise it ...

• Like 1