Fan Heater V Oil Filled Radiator.

ExSurveyor

As soon as you turn a fan heater off there's no more heat to be had. An oil filled rad will gradually cool, giving up some residual heat. Depends what you need it for - fan for quick warm up, but instantly cold, or radiator for slower warm up, but slower cooling down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A fan heater works by having an exposed coil of wire that glows red hot, and the fan then blows that heat out into the space

An oil filled radiator has an internal heating element that heat up oil inside the metal fins, and then radiates that heat out.

For longer term use, an oil filled radiator is safer, IMHO, as there is no exposed heating element. But they do tend to be physically bigger than a fan heater 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

at the moment I am using both to heat the house, a small 650W ceramic fan heater and a 500W oil filled radiator downstairs, the fan heater has a thermostat that is set to 19 deg C and comes on a few times an hour, the oil filled radiator also has a thermostat, but seems to be on longer (so the thermostat may be set slightly higher, either way between the 2 of them they are keeping my house warm, upstairs i have a 1500W oil filled radiator, set on the 500W setting at 20 degrees, and that is keeping upstairs nice and warm, this cuts in and out around every 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Looking into it a bit more, as I may need one myself, you can get some quite compact 500W+ oil filled units for £25 upwards. Not too bad really.

Daewoo seem to be a known brand, albeit budget, that do them. Or for a higher price point Delonghi is a bit more premium.

• Like 1

The reason I ask is that I always notice my feet are cold with a fan heater even though the style of the boat means it isn't draughty.  I have a panel heater for the rear cabin that works well.

I might try an oil filled radiator next time I am up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Regulo said:

I fitted a kitchen type plinth fan heater on Sunbird, that blew hot air at floor level. Might be worth considering, if you have the space. 

Plinth heaters are typically 1.5 - 2KW power rated, which is quite high for shore power or an inverter.

Even small fan heaters are this sort of power

Oil filled radiators however go down to 500W, so are quite feasible to use even on an inverter (but not for too long)

I guess the lower power consumption is another reason people use them on boats ! 

• Like 2

I was shown a trick, using the car seat heaters you can get really cheap, and that is that you dont need to heat the room if you heat the person, so put down your pad heater, plug it into 12v and sit on it, this makes you warm, and they only draw about 60W or so.

heres one you can get from b&q for just £15 and only draws 45W

https://www.diy.com/departments/luxury-heated-car-seat-cushion-heater-aftermarket-universal-fit-12v-cold-winter/5060497645103_BQ.prd?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t6sBhAiEiwAsaieYmRk0HIVAJpW33--70WkDfKPeDCPa1OVwJg3SBG6Hfy03G-NiB73jhoCTDQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s just what I’m after Peter. I tried to get a heated gilet, with usb charger, but it came from China and was so minute that even the XL I got for Tony didn’t fit me. So I gave up. 

I can plug that in right next to the helm and be cosy warm while cruising along. Thanks very much indeed.

• Like 2

a friend of mine used one in his office chairs as it was a lot easier than heating his whole office space, he did a modification to run it from a mains adaptor (12V 5A output) I also made one for my daughter, for her office chair when she works from home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I was shown a trick, using the car seat heaters you can get really cheap, and that is that you dont need to heat the room if you heat the person, so put down your pad heater, plug it into 12v and sit on it, this makes you warm, and they only draw about 60W or so.

https://www.diy.com/departments/luxury-heated-car-seat-cushion-heater-aftermarket-universal-fit-12v-cold-winter/5060497645103_BQ.prd?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t6sBhAiEiwAsaieYmRk0HIVAJpW33--70WkDfKPeDCPa1OVwJg3SBG6Hfy03G-NiB73jhoCTDQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Clever variation of an electric blanket

It is also the same principle in underfloor heating, in that it makes your feet warm so it then makes you warm  

Just seen that Lidl do them too, for £9.99

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/ultimate-speed-heated-seat-cover/p10007902

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2024 at 18:48, grendel said:

That's a really good shout Pete.

Now I'm thinking heated helm seats and saloon cushions :default_norty:

How about a heated seat cover chucked under the duvet while you are in the pub, at that wattage should be safe enough.

I have eberspacher outlets either side of the V berth and a couple of lengths of spare ducting to run under the duvet, always warm and aired when we get it, start with toasty feet and you'll be toasty all night.

As for original issue I'd have thought a fan heater would heat low down space better than any radiator for cold feet, make a wedge for it to sit on so it blows downwards but make sure the heater has a cutout button on the base in case it falls over.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 17:22, mikeyboy1966 said:

I prefer an oil filled rad,

#1 it’s silent

#2 it doesn’t dry the air like a blown air heater.(just my opinion)

But.... Number 2 is a major reason that boats have warm air heating rather than rads.

• Like 1