Breaking News

imtamping2

13 minutes ago, gancanny said:

on a lighter note, in a couple of months time the langley dyke moorings will be anything but peace and quiet,

and the noise will not be from fellow boaters but from the rookery on the other side of the mooring :default_beerchug:

Or those reprobates that sit drinking Prosecco and fishing until two in the morning :default_norty: x

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Being an ex-boater and user of these moorings, I think there may be trouble afoot. Until we know more, there's the scenario of a hire craft not aware of the situation turning up and mooring on someone's booked mooring. Will there be a 24 hour presence to check who's there? Will there be signage at the dyke entrance? All very worrying (although not for me!). 

• Like 4

This Landowner being more than fair and very hospitable in my opinion as they will have to pay rates,  taxes and maintenance costs for these moorings and whoever they are must want boaters to enjoy the Broads as it has been said earlier that a long term mooring would be easier to supply and possibly more rewarding. Not everyone that has real estate on The Broads wants to rip off boaters.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Being an ex-boater and user of these moorings, I think there may be trouble afoot. Until we know more, there's the scenario of a hire craft not aware of the situation turning up and mooring on someone's booked mooring. Will there be a 24 hour presence to check who's there? Will there be signage at the dyke entrance? All very worrying (although not for me!). 

Good questions. I believe the BA signage was removed sometime last year. With regards to signage at the end of the dyke, its not a private dyke, so anyone has the right to go down there even if there is no where to moor unless you have prebooked. 

I suspect with the number of moorings involved there will not be a daily presence, let alone a 24hr presence. The mobile number is on the Ts and Cs, so anyone turning up to find their spot taken will have a number to call. It is a private mooring, so anyone mooring there without good reason is trespassing. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

This Landowner being more than fair and very hospitable in my opinion as they will have to pay rates,  taxes and maintenance costs for these moorings and whoever they are must want boaters to enjoy the Broads as it has been said earlier that a long term mooring would be easier to supply and possibly more rewarding. Not everyone that has real estate on The Broads wants to rip off boaters.

I'd just like to add, that this host should not be beaten with the same stick as our Blessed Authority as the later recieve boaters tolls to provide navigation and mooring . The host at these moorings though offering them to BA does not. Just my own view.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Speaking of which, has your new wine glass turned up yet? :default_rofl::default_icon_kiss::default_drinks:

Don't you mean Sarah's new wine glass ?

Not to be confused with anything that Gracie may or may not have been considering buying 'for a friend'

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Don't you mean Sarah's new wine glass ?

Not to be confused with anything that Gracie may or may not have been considering buying 'for a friend'

No, I mean Gracie's wine glass, it was even bigger! I believe it holds 3000ml. I'm sure Gracie sent me a selfie with it. :default_coat::default_icon_kiss::default_rofl:

71gtIhz9dqL._AC_SX679_.jpg.0dd38e9474e7be0467b725a055675e4a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Meantime said:

Good questions. I believe the BA signage was removed sometime last year. With regards to signage at the end of the dyke, its not a private dyke, so anyone has the right to go down there even if there is no where to moor unless you have prebooked. 

I suspect with the number of moorings involved there will not be a daily presence, let alone a 24hr presence. The mobile number is on the Ts and Cs, so anyone turning up to find their spot taken will have a number to call. It is a private mooring, so anyone mooring there without good reason is trespassing. 

I really hope all this works out for you, but lets just say that you Pre book your mooring and turn up towards late evening. Another boat, be it hire boat or whatever is in your spot. They refuse to move. You phone up the landowner, are they really going to come out to sort this all out? Probably not. The landowner refunds your money. How often will this happen before it turns into a right chore for the land owner.

I am not trying to be negative on this, but unfortunately this is the society we have found ourselves living in nowadays.

I suppose the on the positive side, being a mooring with NO facilities, it will limit the type of person that it attracts and therefor the number of boats     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norfolkangler said:

I really hope all this works out for you, but lets just say that you Pre book your mooring and turn up towards late evening. Another boat, be it hire boat or whatever is in your spot. They refuse to move. You phone up the landowner, are they really going to come out to sort this all out? Probably not. The landowner refunds your money. How often will this happen before it turns into a right chore for the land owner.

I am not trying to be negative on this, but unfortunately this is the society we have found ourselves living in nowadays.

I suppose the on the positive side, being a mooring with NO facilities, it will limit the type of person that it attracts and therefor the number of boats     

Moor along side of it , if it was that late and put on some loud music with plenty of base on it.   Then when they want to leave , take forever to leave in your time,  may be later that afternoon.      Oh I would love to be a fly on the wall.    :default_hiding:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Moor along side of it , if it was that late and put on some loud music with plenty of base on it.   Then when they want to leave , take forever to leave in your time,  may be later that afternoon.      Oh I would love to be a fly on the wall.    :default_hiding:

Easy to say, bit different when it's 8 oafs from a rough estate somewhere, who would welcome a bit of a punch up to liven up their hols! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am sure that the moorings will be fine and the whole system run well.     Totting it up now a week on board you dont arf need a load of cash or can you pay by card now in most places.         What with mooring fees, pub meals etc, pump outs, water.     It is certainly not a cheap holiday.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I know there are a lot of people who ‘don’t do’ Facebook for one reason or another, however, the landowner has partly explained what is to happen at Langley. There are eight moorings, four upstream limited to 32ft and four downstream limited to 40ft. These are being named after the eight surviving wherries so I would imagine they will be clearly marked. If there is clear signage that they are ‘private’ bookable moorings I would hope there would not be too much hassle. The landowner has said that the booking system can be adapted as necessary. 
I’m glad Langley has not been lost to boaters and, personally, I don’t think the proposed charges are particularly onerous. If you don’t want to pay, don’t stop there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Norfolkangler said:

The landowner already owns other moorings along there which are rented out annually. I don't see it as being any different an issue, to one of them coming back to find that someone has moored up in their mooring. These things happen occasionally. I've seen hire boats moored down Upton Dyke in what is obviously someone's home mooring.

I guess if it did happen, the person would be directed to use any available mooring down the dyke, maybe, I don't know. There must be instances when occasionally for genuine emergencies people moor anywhere, even the bottom of someone's garden. Sometimes these things happen!

Any other negatives that people want to discuss before the venture has had a chance to get started? before anyone has had a chance to see what, if any signage may go up. Still lots of unknowns yet. It is early days, perhaps we should wait until people actually start booking the moorings and see if any real issues develop.

I know this is a discussion forum, but sometimes, just sometimes the glass half empty sentiment is really depressing! 

I mean what would happen if a meteor descended from space and landed next to the mooring and the vibration knocked over and smashed Gracie's new wine glass? Personally I'd be really scared for the person or thing that threw the meteor. :default_norty:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I mean what would happen if a meteor descended from space and landed next to the mooring and the vibration knocked over and smashed Gracie's new wine glass? Personally I'd be really scared for the person or thing that threw the meteor. :default_norty:

It wouldn't dare, especially if it still had wine in it!

• Haha 3

On 31/01/2024 at 09:46, Meantime said:

Extremely unlikely since they had the chance to renew the lease on those moorings and couldn't agree new terms.

I think the landowner would tell them to go away sexually ……

• Haha 1