Norwich Peregrines 2024

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I do enjoy watching this cam. Thank you Jean x

I watch the Norwich and Bath locations. Lots of feathers in the Norwich box this morning that weren’t there when I looked last night. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I watch the Norwich and Bath locations. Lots of feathers in the Norwich box this morning that weren’t there when I looked last night. 

Yes, I watch the Bath one too. Beats anything on the telly any day of the week.

I hope when my time is up I don't come back as a pigeon :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 2

It's really frustating - I caught one sat on the edge this morning, but with its back to the camera. Every time I go back, nothing.

I'm quite surprised they nest there (particularly with bells chiming), rather than somewhere like the prison with better access to Mousehold.

• Like 1

Its strange they seem to have done nothing to the box/gravel this year. Its like a grass field in the corner - still I doubt the birds care!!!!

Not sure the Cathedral has bells! Nor a clock in the spire!!

• Like 1

Most cathedrals have bells, not necessarily a clock though. The bells are supposed to be related to services not time keeping.

Mind you…our church has recently been fitted with an electronic device of some sort that strikes the bells, as a result of a bequest. It had become unsafe to climb the tower to ring the bells. So I have now got used to the bells being rung before our Sunday service. On a recent dog walk, I noticed one bell rang out the on the hour too. 

58 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not sure the Cathedral has bells! Nor a clock in the spire!!

If you enable sound, there are regular chimes - at least on the half hour, possibly more. Not sure if it's from the cathedral (don't recall ever noticing it having a regular chime) or St.Helen's in Bishopgate.

Another thing which suprised me is that they fly in the dark. One was on the ledge earlier preening itself and it was completely dark. It now seems to have gone off somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2024 at 12:45, Gracie said:

Yes, I watch the Bath one too. Beats anything on the telly any day of the week.

I hope when my time is up I don't come back as a pigeon :default_biggrin: x

Good morning Gracie. Just been looking at the Bath Peregrines nest box and it has its first egg this morning. Some activity in the Norwich nesting box but no eggs yet. Can you let Charlie know. He might like to follow it.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Good morning Gracie. Just been looking at the Bath Peregrines nest box and it has its first egg this morning. Some activity in the Norwich nesting box but no eggs yet. Can you let Charlie know. He might like to follow it.

That's very kind of you Graham, thank you. Charlie is taking a look as we speak

Grace x

• Like 1

There was a bit of activity at Norwich this afternoon with what looked like the tiercel "faffing" around and scratching in this bottom corner - perhaps it was the her ladyship as this evening we now have a sitting bird, on an egg or not I cannot say!! Interesting to see how many eggs we get this year - don't be alarmed if you see both birds ignoring the egg (s) as they don't start incubating until they have laid all the eggs. Must be a name for that technique - no doubt someone will tell me!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was thinking that there was nothing going to happen this year. The falcons seemed to be rarely there, mostly sitting on one of the corners, and never there at the same time. This is encouraging news.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep looking now and then and always think how exposed to the elements they are. Can't help but wonder whether having higher sides on the tray might protect them a bit and might help hatching and survival rates? I notice Bath has a bit more shelter from the sides.

In the wild, so to speak, they nest on cliffs etc, along with many other birds. Over the years at Norwich they have endured some pretty horrendous weather and seem to generally have coped well.

Buildings all around seem to introduce different dangers, particularly to the young when they have fledged and are learning to fly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...