Pet Friendly Pubs

How Many Pubs have changed around the Broads for this year to be pet-friendly? and are they still there now? I will be up in Norfolk staying on Dry Land In Hemsby in September due to my being Hospitalizes over a Month and a Half Boating is out for me for the time being but I may be back on the Water in 2025 

• Like 2

Hi Andrew, sorry to hear about your stay in hospital. 
I’ve found the vast majority of pubs etc dog friendly, at least in the bar area. 

A few places that don’t take dogs -

Granary restaurant, Ranworth staithe  

Bridgestones cafe, Potter Heigham - in main cafe. They do have a dog friendly ‘garden room’ which I unfortunately find a bit uninviting and chilly.  

Galley cafe, Horning - although I’ve read recently that they are now dog friendly. Yet to test it myself though. 

Can’t think of anywhere else off the top of my head.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you had a hospital stay Andrew, hope you get back to normal asap. Good plan to get back to Norfolk, even if it can’t be on a boat.

I’ve done a comprehensive guide for myself on which places are dog friendly, or not. Fortunately, most of the pubs are, though sometimes just in the bar rather than ‘restaurant’ area, so best to ask and book in advance if it’s restricted. I’m disgusted that Wetherspoon’s pubs do not even allow dogs into their pub gardens/outside spaces, not that I think I’m missing much. It’s just the principle. Does the owner of Wetherspoons have a dog aversion? 

Quite a lot of cafes are dog friendly too, but sometimes only for their outside tables (like The Old Mill in Hoveton, which we really like).

I have to update my list quite frequently though, as there has been quite a bit of turnover in pubs and cafes over the past few years. When a pub changes hands you can’t always assume that the same dog policy applies.

The good news is that, in general, we think that Norfolk is more dog friendly than most places. 

• Like 2

It's easier to list the pubs that aren't dog friendly, the only 2 that have said no to us are the Ingham Swan and that big one in Oulton Broad who's name escapes me. In both cases outside was OK, no criticism intended, both are fine establishments who simply make their rules around the dining comfort of other patrons

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Will you be bringing a dog or are you looking to avoid their company!!

Avoiding will be the hard bit on the broads, I can't imagine anyone wanting a pub without a dog or two as long as they're well behaved, same goes for the people on that one.

• Like 3

As Ray said, it’s earlier to list the pubs that are not dog friendly.

Does anyone know if The Stag in Salhouse is dog friendly? I gather that the  Salhouse Lodge is, in the bar area only.

Im assuming that The Granary in Ranworth is not dog friendly. Hope the Maltsters will be when it reopens. 

By the way, I can’t find The Kings Head Loddon on Google. Has it shut down?

As it's less common to find pubs that are dog friendly in towns and cities, I though it might be worth mentioning a few that appear to be (I haven't visited them all, but am going by comments left in reviews) that are near'ish to the Yacht Stations:

Norwich (near the Yacht Station)
The Coach and Horses (on Thorpe Road). This seems to be popular as they have a microbrewery on site. 
The Red Lion, near Bishop Bridge
The Compleat Angler

Gt Yarmouth
As far as I know the only one within a short distance of the Yacht Station is The Kings Arms on Northgate St.

Beccles
The Bear and Bells
also, I gather that Oakfired at The Royal Oak, The Wine Vaults and Graze at the White Horse have dog friendly areas.

Oulton Broad
The Copper Smokehouse
The Commodore
The Waveney
The Lady of the Lake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stag at Salhouse is ok with dogs. I asked if I could take Finlay in and I sat perched on a stool at a high table by the door rather than take him on the carpet. But was told I could have sat where I liked in the bar area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Not an option in a pizza parlour....:default_tongue:

The Cod House is just around the corner. To be honest, we usually get a takeaway as Oakfired is an easy walk from the Yacht Station. Haven’t yet tried The Cod House. 

Well now dkns 34 well I won't be putting my Border  Terrier he loves People that like Dogs .  I put him in the Kennels that is  why I won't taken Him back because of the Fleas he had that took ages to get rid off including my Home. . Grendel don't mention that to Griff lol I say I thank you all for your Input on that Subject I'm surprised about about  Griff as he and Purdey visits Pubs on around the Broads and off on his visits when he is there with Purdey and lock your Drinks cabinets lol.