Stalham On The Edge

Turnoar

I am sad to read the negative report in the EDP about Stalham. I'm not local so don't follow all the local news. However my wife and I do visit Stalham several times throughout the boating season, as we spend up to 20 weeks a year on our boat and Stalham is one of our favourite places to visit, particularly since Sutton Staithe has effectively become out of bounds having been virtually taken over by liveaboards.

Our perception of Stalham is of a lovely place where my wife enjoys exploring the High Street shops and we both enjoy our visits to the Swan, one of our favourite pubs and award winning to boot!

The article attempts to blame out of town supermarkets by referring to Tesco as being on the outskirts, which is totally untrue and must surely increase footfall to the High Street. For those not familiar, there is a connecting short alleyway from this big Tesco Store's entrance to the High Street and passes The Swan entrance and car park.

Cheer up people of Stalham, you have a lovely town to be proud of.  

• Like 7

Nothing increases footfall more than free parking IMO. High street looks very narrow and I can't find a car park easily on Google. Tescos is free for 3 hours, that's enough isn't it?

Complain about no investment then when they spend £150K on improving the pavement, they complain again.

What's needed are charity shops, nail bars, coffee shops, fast food outlets and somewhere to get a tattoo. Typical English village in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of posts have mentioned parking in Stalham. 
I have always found a space in the high street when I’ve needed one. Maybe I just go at a lucky time. And I’ve never paid, I’m certain it’s free. 

Tescos is also free as Floydraser says and it’s a quick nip through the alley from there to the high street. 

There is also a pay carpark at the chip shop end of the high street. I’ve never needed to use it. 

I think Stalham has better free parking than many other places. And it has a lot of community events through the year, fetes and the like. 

Not a dying town I don’t think, there’s always plenty of people on the high street when I go. It’s just a bit shabby like loads of places. It is full of independent shops, even if not high quality posh ones. 

• Like 4

I agree with M&P I've bought some nice meat to burn from there :default_biggrin: Also there is the pet centre and tackle shop, always so helpful and friendly staff too. The the fish and chip shop and the fried chicken next door run by the same people I believe, it's lovely, the chicken is better than KFC.

I was sad to read this article, we have visited and shopped there most years when coming to pick up the boat, even when we haven't hired from Richardson's we still paid the town a visit. 

I wouldn't mind living there for sure. 

Grace x

• Like 3

On 11/03/2024 at 08:26, CeePee1952 said:

Crikey Malcolm!! That's a bit early for this year! :default_icon_eek: Careful , Gracie will be having heart palpitations when she reads that :default_rofl:

Chris

On 11/03/2024 at 09:58, Mouldy said:

Should have said last Christmas, but Gracie probably would have started to bloody sing it! :default_coat:

I meant to end my last post wishing you all a Merry Christmas :default_norty: Well I can't be blamed and told off for mentioning Christmas too early this year thank you very much :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Haha 3

Also at the chip shop end is Broadland House vets, good to know if holidaying with your pets. In addition to being handy they are lovely people and really helpful. 

• Like 2

I've lived on the edge of Stalham for 2 years now and think it's great little town, I'm on the opposite side of town to a lot of the housing hence I've not encountered any anti social behaviour.  Unless you include the flock of rowdy geese that live at Richos!

There's a good Chinese takeaway and chippy, The Swan is a great pub, old fashioned hardware store, carpet shop that will visit your boat to measure and install, both the Doctors surgery and Boots are helpful and friendly.  Need to collect my prescriptions today so I'll pop into Cawdrons Butchers for one of their hot pork and crackling rolls for lunch.

You can usually get a free parking spot on the road, if not there are 2 or 3 free spots in the car park near the chippy, the rest are chargeable but not sure how much as I've never needed to pay.  As others have said Tescos are free and there are 2 x footpaths from the car park, one goes to the Swan and the other to Boots.

Only negative I can think of is the Indian restaurant is not very good, best one I've found locally, so far, Repps Indian Kitchen.

• Like 4

On 14/03/2024 at 14:01, PaulN said:

I am sad to read the negative report in the EDP about Stalham. I'm not local so don't follow all the local news. However my wife and I do visit Stalham several times throughout the boating season, as we spend up to 20 weeks a year on our boat and Stalham is one of our favourite places to visit, particularly since Sutton Staithe has effectively become out of bounds having been virtually taken over by liveaboards.

Our perception of Stalham is of a lovely place where my wife enjoys exploring the High Street shops and we both enjoy our visits to the Swan, one of our favourite pubs and award winning to boot!

The article attempts to blame out of town supermarkets by referring to Tesco as being on the outskirts, which is totally untrue and must surely increase footfall to the High Street. For those not familiar, there is a connecting short alleyway from this big Tesco Store's entrance to the High Street and passes The Swan entrance and car park.

Cheer up people of Stalham, you have a lovely town to be proud of.  

Sorry but Tescos greatly reduced the footfall in the high street, before there was an Auction and big ish market on the grounds Tescos occupy. That day of the week the high street was heaving. Every other day it was busier than it is today.

Now people drive to tescos shop and leave . Tesco killed several shops which just couldn't compete.

On 22/03/2024 at 18:11, TheQ said:

Sorry but Tescos greatly reduced the footfall in the high street, before there was an Auction and big ish market on the grounds Tescos occupy. That day of the week the high street was heaving. Every other day it was busier than it is today.

Now people drive to tescos shop and leave . Tesco killed several shops which just couldn't compete.

Well at least the Tesco’s in Stalham is relatively near the high street. In Holyhead, similar sized high street to Stalham, but slightly bigger town overall, Tesco’s and Morrison’s stores have been built on the outskirts, so the high street is effectively dead. Not even a butchers. 

• Sad 1