Fuel And Pump Out On The Waveney?

Hi all. I'm gearing up for my annual cruise next week and the wife has thrown a last minute spanner in my meticulous plans (not that a week in advance is that last minute...). I suspect I am going to be in need of a refuel and a pump out somewhere between Beccles and Yarmouth (via Oulton Broad). Has anyone got any great suggestions?

Many thanks in advance as I don't know the wild South as well as I ought to!

Goodchilds at Burgh Castle? 
I’ll be interested in any replies you get too. That’s the only one I know of and have never stopped there, don’t even know if they still do it. 
At Beccles I went to Quayway, opposite the yacht station entrance. 

• Like 2

My ‘bible’ onboard also says pacific cruisers st Loddon on non-turnaround days, but that’s on the wrong river. 
And perhaps a self serve pump out machine at the Waveney river centre, no diesel though and I don’t even know if the self serve one is still there. Last time I used it was in 2019. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kpnut said:

My ‘bible’ onboard also says pacific cruisers st Loddon on non-turnaround days, but that’s on the wrong river. 
And perhaps a self serve pump out machine at the Waveney river centre, no diesel though and I don’t even know if the self serve one is still there. Last time I used it was in 2019. 

We went past over the weekend and they are advertising diesel (£1.87/ litre), water and pump outs on their quay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we were moored there Derby's Quay (opposite the yacht station at Beccles offered both diesel and pump outs.  No reason to suppose they don't still offer these services.  They were also reasonabley priced.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Unlikely you'll need diesel unless you're hiring for more than 2 weeks.

That's what I had always thought too but the last week long cruise we had, Richardson's advised us to top up midweek. They were right too - we would have run out.

35 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Not sure I could bring myself to go to the WRC now that it has lost it's former glory... I'm going to miss those showers!

We have used Hippersons a few times when on Water Rail. They are very helpful. I would recommend phoning them beforehand though. When we first visited, we just cruised into their basin but found their fuel quay was taken up by their days boats, so we had to retreat to the Yacht Station until later that morning. If you phone them, they will advise what time they can accommodate you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We have used Hippersons a few times when on Water Rail. They are very helpful. I would recommend phoning them beforehand though. When we first visited, we just cruised into their basin but found their fuel quay was taken up by their days boats, so we had to retreat to the Yacht Station until later that morning. If you phone them, they will advise what time they can accommodate you.

They don’t do fuel or pump out until the day boats have gone. Caught us out twice. 

25 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

They don’t do fuel or pump out until the day boats have gone. Caught us out twice. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Does St Olaves Marina have fuel nowadays? When we were looking for an alternative Marina a few years ago we considered St Olaves, but rejected that as an option as they didn’t have fuel (nor pump outs, if my memory serves me). 

We stopped at Goodchilds last season, a good setup, very good service but a little expensive at £30 for a pump out, Fuel price was about average.

Robin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We went past over the weekend and they are advertising diesel (£1.87/ litre), water and pump outs on their quay.

Wow, that's expensive. We've been paying £1.45 for diesel and £12.75 for pump outs.

21 hours ago, Mouldy said:

For some reason, I can no longer post photos from my phone straight to the Forum, but have to convert them on my Mac first, but this is the sign now displayed by the fuel pump at the WRC.

IMG_1716.jpeg

• Thanks 1

water rail holds so little it almost always under £50 (they will usually struggle to fit 30 litres even from nearly empty.) plus I have a 20 litre jerry can I fill up at my local asda before leaving.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kpnut said:

At least they tell you the diesel price before you decide to fill, no one else seems to do so. 

Petrol stations are legally obliged to show a price which can be seen before filling up. I'd assume the same legislation probably applies to boatyards?