Oh dear! Has the NBF gone belly up again or is it just me?!

MauriceMynah

Going by the annual get together in June, normally attended by well over 100 members and given the number of regular contributors who I've never met I would give the roughest of guesses and say an active membership of well over 250, very possibly double that.

Some of the financial contributors, I agree, tend to publicize their generosity in a manner that I too find distasteful but that's down to them not Richard.

I remember some time ago I tried to work out roughly how many active members there were

Some people have more than one ID for a kick off, this might be for any one of many reasons, so using very rounded figures lets start with 9000 members. Say 1000 have 2 IDs that gives us 8000. a quarter of those post just the once before they go on a broads holiday. Were down to 6000 and of those how about half leave because they don't like it or someone in it. 3000. Now lets say of those, half just fade off. That still leaves us with about 1500 members of which perhaps as I suggested earlier 500 are active posters. That's still not a bad headcount.

Now, all that is just my opinion and a lot of off the cuff guesswork, but it wouldn't surprise me if I wasn't too far from the mark.

Site member counts for forums are never going to be accurate unless they record people leaving, as well as joining.

Very few do this, because it's very difficult to achieve. The count goes up automatically with new member registrations, but people "leaving" is a much less finite instance.

They may change to posting less frequently, or may just revert to reading, or may post once or twice a year. Very few actually ask for their member record to be erased.

Couple that with the fact that any "hobby" forums have a high turnover of people that become interested, stay for a year or two, then lose interest and move on to something else.

The NBF's display of 9000 plus members undoubtedly includes many that have ceased to visit over the ten year period, but then again, how many additional people may visit to just read, and have never registered in order to post ?  The figure is probably quite abstract in reality.

Very true stow , was a member on NBF before here , but if you look at my post there and here it ,s not very balanced !! i read  nbf  all the time , and always put a photo in the   calander  comp if i ve got one good enough , enjoy both places .....because  there about the same thing.....boating!! the rest is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bullshit

I probably fall into that catagory now, I no longer post but still read it from time to time. If it dissapeared tomorrow and never came back personally it wouldn't bother me that it ceased to be. What would bother me is that some of the old boys club would start to use other forums that i use to get away from this hosility and then they too would start to decend into the farce that the NBF has become. Moderation on the NBF is personal not inpartial as the moderators are part of the clique on there, possibly why a small group seem to get away with saying what goes on within the forum, and the broads. I very ralrely see a post from Richard trying to bring certain members back in to line to make it fair for all 4 or 6 very opinionated people run the show. There was a post from a new member back in august introducing themselves and they mentioned about they would be having a couple of BBq's whilst there. The first page of posts then went on to warn the new member about making sure the BBQ was raised off the floor, stating to make sure they put it in the bin afterwards etc ect not even a welcome to the forum or, hope you enjoy your holiday. It's a very hostile place for new members and these members are not challanged because the Mods are part of that group. On the other hand some see it as a large part of their social life and would be lost without it. Feeling the need to fund something thaat is not financially feasable just to have that social interaction. If it was for the fact that they like talking about the broads then theres 3-4 different forums for that that dont pressure members into coughing up their hard earned. for a free resource Just my opinion though!

• Like 1

Hi Dave, I can totally see exactly where you are coming from. The mods on there are to involved with certain members and not impartial or fair in how they deal with things. Im not sure how it works over here but over there some mods should stick to moding and stay out of posting alltogether, that is just my opinion. I might even say the poor attitude from some is encouraged and some of the regulars do go on like the Broads belongs to them. There was 1 or 2 on there I knew personally and respected but not anymore! I have stopped visiting the site also because the knowledge that I could be surrounded by such egotiscal people while I am on my boat would probably lead me to sell it and find another hobby. It is a farce , I have been spoken to appaulingly by 1 mod imparticular, the broads is a small enough place to not never run in to these people in person and that one person will be getting the sharp end of my tongue if and when our paths cross! The funniest thing in my opinion is how many of the people who seem to know anything and everything about the area actually live here!! 1 post inparticular that stick in my mind was Gcantley telling someone to be quiet and he did not expect to see this person say anything like that again or words to that effect. The point is he spoke to the person like they were something he had stepped in.

• Like 1

Personally, I think most of the forums ask for financial help, and as far as i'm concerned they all deserve it, how ever it arrives in their bank accounts.

People spend their personal time & money setting forums up to generally help people, but there seems to be an endless supply of anonymous people ready too put the boot in. (however, I must just say that NBO has always declined any financial help in the past.....) 

Anyway, I must admit I've now been away from the broads & all forums for the last 2 weeks, but just amazed at the comments I read. Some do however make me laugh, but some also make me question why do I even bother to take the time to say hello to some people.....

I don't really care how or when a forum was started, who started it, who runs it, how many members it has  or how much money they need...Its just a FUN way of passing a bit of  time with people who have something in common.....i.e. the Norfolk Broads.

:smile: 
  • Like 8

Hmmm, I've just done something I should have done a few days ago when things flared up a bit. I've just re-read the post I put in, that therealist objected to.

I hope he will now accept my apology as I can see the post clearly appeared aimed at him. This was not my intention but, the way I phrased it, had I been in his shoes I would have concluded the same.

The first sentence was in response to therealist's comment about people going defensive.

The rest of the post should have been phrased to indicate clearly that my comments were aimed more generally and should have read…

“If someone doesn’t like Richards forum they shouldn’t go there, and they should keep any vitriolic comments to themselves.”

No forum is a place to attack other forums, That is my opinion and I stand by it.

I dislike editing posts as that can make the whole thread read like nonsense, so instead, as I brought his PM into the public eye it would be churlish if my apology to therealist wasn’t equally public.

• Like 5

The board software was written by or for Richard. It's the underlying technology (Coldfusion) that's out of date and lacking support.

I stand corrected on this statement. Unless Mr Tearle had any connections with the suppliers of the codebase (which is indeterminate given that the web site that distributed this is vague over who's behind it is not at all up to date), ity may be more that the code behind NBF was written elsewhere and perhaps modified to "fit" the NBF.

Agreed Jason,

There's room for more than one forum and people can make their choice,  it would be a dull world if everyone was the same.

I see no reason to be critical of a forum you don't like, just don't go there.

Couldn't agree more Martin....its all about enjoying the quality of life being on a boat enjoying what you do and where you do it.

Its nice to have a choice of forums dedicated to what you enjoy doing ect be it tips on maintenance for your boat or places to visit or to avoid at certain times,meeting up with friends for bbq or a spot of fishing even munching on strawberries its all about choice.

I enjoy both and especially the tales from 650xs...he seems such a character and always read his tales to my young son billy.

Couldn't agree more Martin....its all about enjoying the quality of life being on a boat enjoying what you do and where you do it.

Its nice to have a choice of forums dedicated to what you enjoy doing ect be it tips on maintenance for your boat or places to visit or to avoid at certain times,meeting up with friends for bbq or a spot of fishing even munching on strawberries its all about choice.

I enjoy both and especially the tales from 650xs...he seems such a character and always read his tales to my young son billy.

Hi Steve, It's not only boat forums, How's the car ;)

Thinking about a towbar and bike trailer to fetch another Indian built vehicle down to the boat to ride about on while we are in the yard. :naughty:

I agree with you all. If you don't like it go somewhere else. And that is what I have done. My points may not seem constructive but i'm just putting my point across as to how the NBF makes me feel. With the PM's I have recieved from other members I am not alone in thinking this I brought it up one time regarding the clique thinking that they have the final say on how the forum is run and which social groups are acceptable to visit the broads, I was moderated for speaking my mind and going against "seasoned posters", that was the exact words the mod used in the PM to me (put my point across abit like this post, nothing threatening)but the abuse I got was allowed to stand (including posts by mods. As for the tin rattling side of things I use 3-5 different forums and have used many in my time and the NBF is the only one that holds out the pot. So in my experience not every forum asks for donations. I run a Fishing forum, it costs me nothing so I dont know how you could end up 4k in the red when there are plenty of free platforms for hosting.

just thinking on what Jason said regarding anonymous digs. when it all flaired up when I spoke my mind I PM'd Richard my name address and phone number and asked If he would contact me regarding my issues, I am still awaiting a reply. Like wise if anyone else takes real issue with the points I raise I have no objection doing the same.

Hi JTF, thanks for the appology, its fully accepted and I hope you accept mine for the way I reacted to your comment to. We are all here for the same thing so lets enjoy it and leave the broads gestapo to do what the do best over there on the NBF, without me and Dave obviously! :-)

• Like 3

just thinking on what Jason said regarding anonymous digs. when it all flaired up when I spoke my mind I PM'd Richard my name address and phone number and asked If he would contact me regarding my issues, I am still awaiting a reply. Like wise if anyone else takes real issue with the points I raise I have no objection doing the same.

It's an internet forum though?  Not the right medium to expect this kind of contact really, especially if you have made it clear to someone you are not in agreement if you look at it afresh, to my mind.

Dan

Fair point Dan, just trying to put across that I feel that way about the NBF and not just someone hiding behind a keyboard slagging it off for no good reason. Not everyone will share my views but just putting my view across. therealist, I'm sure we'll end up with the NBF feds smashing our front door down at some point

Fair point Dan, just trying to put across that I feel that way about the NBF and not just someone hiding behind a keyboard slagging it off for no good reason. Not everyone will share my views but just putting my view across. therealist, I'm sure we'll end up with the NBF feds smashing our front door down at some point

Yeah, I understand.

I think none of the forums are perfect and all have different strengths & appeals.  Surely this is what we want if choice is to exist.  

Each of the forums currently on offer has provided me with both enjoyment & frustration or disappointment in some way over the years.    The fact we are still here wanting to post on a Broadland forum says a lot though I think!

I think analysing or airing disappointment with the forums (even if with a stash of solid examples to quote)  is a bit unfair really, especially on other forums..... I think I was happier when this thread was more of an update on what was going on, and even then is it really needed.... I think we all know at the moment it is going through a difficult transition so if it is down they are just still not sorted, or why not just pose the question on fb or somewhere?

Dan

• Like 3

I agree Dan that every forum has it's good an bad points but i've never been on a forum like that one with large egos and the underlying arrogance of a few posters (generally the ones on it 24/7)it doesnt make it a nice place at times. sure every forum gets them but the mods quickly knock it on the head, unfortunately the mods are part of that group on there

Bring it on I say, they know exactly how to make contact with me to Dave! I wonder how many of the regulars on there would use the same approach when face to face, If you wouldnt treat people with such patronising condesending and arrogant attitudes in person then dont do it while your hiding behind an internet connection...thats the rule of thumb I work by anyway. In a way I feel quite sadened for Richard that he must feel compelled to provide these members with the platform he has given them, and seemingly at great cost to him. I wouldn't be prepared to get myself in to debt to do the same thats for certain. In my opinion those people owe him a bit more than a donation, if he woke up and smelt the coffee and had mods the just moderated I would be happy to revisit the site but I think its clear that isnt going to happen so best of luck to them I say.

• Like 1