The worst design ever!

Dan

• 6 months later...

I followed one of those Newsons up the Yare to Woodbastwick in a very strong wind, I know bath tubs are not great going straight, but that craft, if you can call it that, literally went up the Yare sideways.  :naughty:  It must have been, and still will be, a nightmare to steer in crosswinds!

I agree with Robin and Kingfisher, but there was a steel jobbie from Braydon Marine that looked like something out of the African Queen? Must try and find it online.

cheers Iain.

I followed one of those Newsons up the Yare to Woodbastwick in a very strong wind, I know bath tubs are not great going straight, but that craft, if you can call it that, literally went up the Yare sideways.  :naughty:  It must have been, and still will be, a nightmare to steer in crosswinds!

I agree with Robin and Kingfisher, but there was a steel jobbie from Braydon Marine that looked like something out of the African Queen? Must try and find it online.

cheers Iain.

Is there more than one Woodbastwick, I thought that was on the Bure, a little further upriver of Cockshoot?

Stuart

Hi,

I quite like that Dawncraft and the portholes (nearly, potholes), I'd have one, it sort of looks like a proper ship albeit a small one.  The Brinkcraft is undoubtably a nice boat, but to me it sort of looks like two bits stuck together, that said I wouldn't kick it out of bed so to speak. :)

Keith

• Like 2

The Dawncraft Illusive is an interesting looking boat. Quite ship like and not displeasing to my eye. However, I am informed that it is a pig to handle and not exactly good to live with. 

Hearsay, perhaps. I can't speak from experience. But I think only two were ever built........ 

• Like 1

The Dawncraft Illusive is an interesting looking boat. Quite ship like and not displeasing to my eye. However, I am informed that it is a pig to handle and not exactly good to live with. 

Hearsay, perhaps. I can't speak from experience. But I think only two were ever built........ 

Hi Andy,

i seem to remember that boat was available in two versions, the first being the one that was in their hirefleet, the other was a flybridge version for coastal use?. There was one down in Kent at Yalding on the upper Medway, that i know as i used to work with the guy that bought it, who had ideas to use it as a liveaboard, though i don`t know whether it was the flybridge or inland version. After that i`m not sure what happened to it.

The coastal version with the flybridge was pictured in their advert turning on the plane. I can`t remember which was which, but one was named "ILLUSION" with the other being "ILLUSIVE".

Come to think of it, since i`ve been typing this post and picturing it in my mind, i now seem to remeber the coastal / flybridge version was called "ILLUSION", however, if someone knows more, then please feel free to correct me on this.

Hi,

I quite like that Dawncraft and the portholes (nearly, potholes), I'd have one, it sort of looks like a proper ship albeit a small one.  The Brinkcraft is undoubtably a nice boat, but to me it sort of looks like two bits stuck together, that said I wouldn't kick it out of bed so to speak. :)

Keith

Sleeping with boats Keith?, is there something you want to tell us................or rather DON`T want to tell us?. :naughty: :naughty:

Sleeping with boats Keith?, is there something you want to tell us................or rather DON`T want to tell us?. :naughty: :naughty:

Keith is more than likely still recovering from watching England attempting to win The Ashes on Oz, or its sunstroke! :naughty:  :naughty: He probably still dreams that it was a nightmare and England actualy won?

cheers Iain

• Like 1

The Easticks boat looks "interesting" in it's drawn view and clearly a design ahead of its time. But the photo shows just how poorly a very contempory idea has been put into practice. 

The sliding canopy / no air draft reduction concept is common on the French canals and many boats that have been brought back to the Broads have actually had to be converted to a diagonal slide! 

One of the new Ferry Emblem Fleet also has a sliding canopy that offers no reduction. Is it Radiant?

As 'fresh faced' and new to boating late teens back in 1990, I can assure you that the Illusive (or Oulton Pearl) was indeed the most piggish of pigs to handle.

On picking up the boat and having the test run etc on Oulton Broad, for our first evening we headed to Burgh St Peter.  We were not quite sure where to go, an ovesrhot the entrance to the moorings.  Turning that boat around in the river with good 'skirt lifter' of a wind was a blooming nightmare.  I think we all fell out accusing each other of being useless at the helm.

Needless to say we made it, although quite how we stern moored was beyond me!!

To this day, we count ourselves lucky to get the security deposit back!

Boat was nicely laid out inside mind you.....  :)

• Like 1

That takes me back!  River Ant was the first boat I actually

booked back when I was 18, and thats now a bloody long

time ago!!  I remember collecting the boat and going under 

Acle bridge and some guy was waving to me, I waved back

but he was actually telling me to slow down.  A lesson

learnt and remembered.  Alan  :norty:  :wave