The worst design ever!

Dan

Hi Everyone

I posted a while back about what people thought was the best design or favourite that has been created so far and recently I was thinking what does everyone consider was the worst?

If anyone mentions a boat that you own then don't worry because beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :grin:

Dan

• Like 1

the 'Caraboat'

I think a larger version is now being built locally without wheels.

This little beauty Clive?!

http://www.canalscape.net/Dont%20Call%20it%20a%20Barge/Cruiser%20Diversity/LR%20Caraboat%201.jpg

I have been having a think, there has been a few funny ones over the years but I think I have normally found something I like about them in the end!

I always thought the 41ft Powles with the high forward deck was a strange one.... when I first saw them I think I just thought how on earth would you get off the front doing a side on mooring, but I guess the answer is simple!

I saw one recently on the Thames (with a blue hull nonetheless) and thought it looked sort of alright actually, but perhaps I had my rose tinted spectacles on at the time?

Dan 

post-25-0-97403200-1384202463_thumb.jpg

In terms of the boats I have hired over the years I do have one very clear favourite for this title! The boat was "Rapide" from Alphacraft. Looks very smart and sleek but presented us with a whole host of problems. Described as a 4 - 6 berth, the two supposed double cabins are side by side st the rear and are miniscule. The double berths was two single beds that refused to stay together! The inside helm is set way back from the front in the saloon to be almost midships! The outside helm was and still is the most uncomfortable position I have ever experienced. The posture it demanded ensured chronic backache within the first 30 minutes of cruising. I'll not mention the daft seating arrangement around a fixed huge round table or the need for the shiniest silver pole in the middle of the cabin!

To top it all, we had to call out their engineer and his very words were that this is the worst design Alpha ever came up with!

Trevor

• Like 2

I'm sorry to say that I have no affection whatsoever for the majority of Dawncraft.

There's also some "square" thing, narrow beam, the moulds of which used to sit (maybe still do) in a garden in Martham. Can't recall the name of it, but very strange. Looked as streamlined as a boat made by an infant using cardboard cereal boxes, which was possibly it's inspiration.

always thought the easticks 25,  similar to the safari, was a strange looking boat

it always reminded me of a "pug" breed of dog  :naughty:

even on the lowest of tides i do not think it would go under potter bridge

The oulton pearl built by newsons !!! hideous looking thing. I think you can still see one from the the webcam at oulton broad!!! Just remembered the floating caravan thing that Truman's use to hire as well.. the beer in Lowestoft must be strong some really odd designs have been built at oulton broad IMHO !! ;)

For me! Hampton 25's are one ugly boat, nice and roomy inside and most are laid out well, but from the outside they look ugly and even worse when the sliding canopy is back, and yes I own a Hampton 25, and yes my wife loves the ugly thing, Weird out of all the boats we have owned she loves this one and wants to spend all her time out on it, in the past all my boats actually looked like proper boats but she could take them or leave them, now all I get is come on get up were going to the boat today, suits me fine Sir, :dance  I think she like the room and that it's all on one level, well she is getting on a bit, that's the Wife not the boat, my favourite boat is the Seamaster 813 which in fact was my last boat that I gutted and rebuilt so it was open plan just to keep the wife happy but due to owning a Café we never got time to use it so sold it, I can't say I miss taking down and putting the canopy up I now like my sliding roof, so my ideal boat would be a Seamaster 813, with a sliding roof and the same amount of space inside as the Hampton, Mmmmm! I wonder if Clive is busy,,,, :grin:

I really like the Powel’s boat because it looks larger perhaps than really is and very unusual yet ‘boaty’ design with a sort of American feel about its lines.

Now as to the worst design has to be a Kingfisher 44. 

There are only two made and both are for sale.  You see the problem is you design a boat and then keep adding on bits to the stern making them longer and longer – usually this works out well, even if it can end up with some unusual lines but Kingfisher Cruisers went on an all out offensive with this design.

It is long at 44ft and from the bow begins like any other forward drive boat, however the helm is set rather far back and the seat means only those with short legs will find it comfy for any length of time to steer from.  there is then the usual corridor type affair with two cabins off to the left and the galley to the right then it is as if we meet the join where the additional length was added – just past the sink the ‘corridor’ reaches a punch point ?(literally just about the width of my shoulders) where to the right is a very small heads and straight ahead two further double cabins. 

However these are actually just berths on the floor one has to crawl into and at the end of the bed (where one has the pillow) is a glass hatch which is just a few inches above the stern and the water line.

The cramped ill thought-out design goes further because they decided to add an aft external helm – complete with seating but the door to this helm is narrow and has three steep steps – the cabin roof above far from being able to hinge open is fixed making head bashing a common occurrence – but it gets better for you then realise the engine (on hydraulic dive) is the reason for the steps up to the outside helm, and divides the two double cabins.

It does not look too bad from the outside, but in terms of practicality and comfort to stay onboard you are forever squeezing through small spaces and doors or having to watch your head.

I am not surprised the design was never adopted by others, but I guess at least this quirky boat made it to hire for a time.

post-534-0-61289400-1384260219_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-99589300-1384260223_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-71101600-1384260229_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-30945100-1384260233_thumb.jpg

I agree Trevor on alpha 42 dual steers. On Grecian Girl from Summercraft the cabin layout was awful. The cabin on the stern right only has a privacy curtain between it and the walkway to the other stern cabin. To access the outdoor cockpit you have to climb a vertical ladder and pass through a hideously narrow entrance. The indoor steering visibility was so poor I gave up after 10 minutes and happily spent the rest of the day steering in the rain. The headroom for the saloon sofa is ok if you're no taller than 5 foot 6. We still had a Fab holiday though. Its the Broads isn't it?!

• Like 1

or this!! Bob likes tugs!ugly_jezz_1.jpg

I don't think working boats should be eligible really - after all, their form follows function. Not to mention, I quite like little tugs like that, and the protected drive pod is a really good idea (especially as she's a pusher tug, so it's also used to steer the tug and tow).

Do you know who 'designed' (for want of a better word) it Clive? Was it in-house by Kingfisher?

I think it was a collaborative effort from Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles. ;)

• Like 2

It's a Buccaneer 44 where the cabin has been pushed further forward over where the well would be and then a restyled front has been made that is a bit more like the Alpha sloping forward drives of the period, and then quite a lot of tinkering at the back!

Dan

I'm sorry to say that I have no affection whatsoever for the majority of Dawncraft.

There's also some "square" thing, narrow beam, the moulds of which used to sit (maybe still do) in a garden in Martham. Can't recall the name of it, but very strange. Looked as streamlined as a boat made by an infant using cardboard cereal boxes, which was possibly it's inspiration.

Is this the boat you are thinking of. post-17992-0-33390700-1384292284_thumb.j  This is my Dawncraft Dandy which I think is rather cute in it's own little way

Ah that would make sense. It was the 'Alpha but not quite' front that was confusing me.

I'd quite like to see aboard both designs.

I notice that the Kingfisher 44's asking price has been revised towards something a bit more sensible http://www.broadlandyachtbrokers.co.uk/used-boats/used/25/ - it's an interesting fitout, I think they'd have been better making a comfortable six berth out of it and making the cabins and heads a more sensible size.

There are 2 Kingfishers 44's for sale at the mo, this one that was Dream Time and the other is Krista Mian, the later is a lot more expensive and without good cause, I know I have worked on both this year.

Is this the boat you are thinking of. attachicon.gifDawncraft dandy.JPG  This is my Dawncraft Dandy which I think is rather cute in it's own little way

There are (were) two firms going by the name of Dawncraft - your Dandy is built by the one that was based in Worcestershire, whereas I think Andy is referring to the one based in Wroxham. Whilst they did build some nice looking wooden boats, in later years IIRC they were responsible for possibly the worst hull design in the forward-steer bathtub category. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has fairly sharp corners at either side of the bows, and pretty much every example I've seen now has stainless steel reinforcement (or other less aesthetically pleasing) over them, as they're incredibly vulnerable to impact damage.